"Really Useful Boxes" for storage records and cds

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by stenway, Apr 20, 2016.

1. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

YES I AM SURE. I have 10 of the 35XL boxes and 99.9% of my records have outer sleeves on them. Regular outer sleeves of different thicknesses work fine. I can't speak to hard plastic mylar encasements or anything non-standard.

stenway likes this.
  2. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

I have several of the 17L boxes sold in the USA at mainstream outlets (no need to order direct for these) and they fit CDs in jewel cases and digipaks just fine.

For my CDs that in in Jazzloft sleeves I use smaller 3L boxes.

3. stenway

stenway Forum Resident Thread Starter

1. for sleeves depends of the size, not the material, I mean I know Poly, Mylar etc. with different sizes, is impossibly just say "Poly fits", "Mylar fits" due there's a lot sizes around with the same material.

but yes... I use Blake Sleeves (clearbags) the size is perfect (not too big, not to tight) so I bet fits on the 35XL (based on patient_ot comments). :righton:

2. I add 5 shipped to FL.
    $163.65 / 5 = $32.73 per box

Expensive :thumbsdow

[​IMG]

4. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

They are expensive, but I have yet to find anything that is as well made. If you want something cheap, check out the plastic boxes that Bags Unlimited sells. They're not bad, but they are nowhere near as sturdy as the RUB stuff.

5. stenway

BagsU plastic boxes? maybe you say corrugated plastic?
    https://www.bagsunlimited.com/category/277/lp-record-storage-boxes

Actually for now I have all my records in BagsU Cardboard boxes, price is great and they are very well made, but!!! is cardboard... and you know is a little risky due is not solid and insects can enter but I keep clean my music room.

Also I use https://www.amazon.com/Sterilite-19...66&sr=8-1-spell&keywords=stereline+boxes&th=1 but are not too solid and are smelly, I feel is risky due plastic is not safe for storage paper (records).

So! my search possible ends with the Really Expensive Boxes lol, due looks sturdy and not smelly plastic (good plastic).

One thing is by example comic collectors use cardboard boxes due is healthy and safe for paper storage, records are the same... made of paper, so in some way I'm a little scary about plastic but again the Really Expensive Boxes seems to be made of well made plastic. Also I add 200 Gram of silica gel in each box to avoid mold etc.

6. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

Yep, the corrugated plastic ones. I've been using them for a few years and have not had a problem. I also use the RUB boxes, again no problem. I have around 1200 LPs.

FYI the corrugated plastic boxes are made of the same material as many record sleeves (Polypropylene). As long as it's not PVC, should be fine.

stenway likes this.
  7. stenway

I want do something like this for all my records, cds, movies, games, comics, etc...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I see many records, game, cd collectors has his collections in IKEA shelves, but everything is exposed to the ambient, IMO boxes is better to prevent of dust, ambient mold etc.

Here's a pic from a comic collector, 19XL

[​IMG]

and here's some for singles (9 litre XL)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Beamish13 and patient_ot like this.
  8. Beamish13 likes this.
  9. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

I hope you don't have to move those very often. Once they are full they will be very heavy. The 35XL are already heavy to begin with when full. Other than that I see no problem. I'm not even sure if the 35XL were available when I bought my 48XLs.

Last edited: Nov 17, 2018
  10. Classicrock

Classicrock Senior Member

Because full of Lps you can't lift it. I've done my back moving the 35XLs. Have just one 48XL bought for oversize Lps and box sets.

patient_ot likes this.
  11. jamo spingal

jamo spingal Forum Resident

12. drad dog

drad dog A Listener

There is a 26 litre box w/ 5 1/2 inches inside clearance. Is anyone using one for CDs?

Has anyone on this thread tried to look for the perfect wooden cube for records?

Last edited: Nov 30, 2018
  13. Vinylfindco

Vinylfindco The Pressing Matters

I second the Ultra Box from Bags Unlimited. Best thing you could use for vinyl storage or moving.

Beamish13 and patient_ot like this.
  14. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

Don't think I've tried those. I mainly use the 3L and 17L boxes for CDs.

15. bradleyc

bradleyc Forum Resident

Got a dozen 17L from Office Depot Max on sale, these are perfect fit for CD, DVD and blu-Ray. Very sturdy, stack nice, and no wasted space inside. High quality product from UK, really glad I saw this thread, Thanks! :righton:

patient_ot likes this.
  16. Classicrock

Classicrock Senior Member

35 litre XL boxes are now available from Amazon UK at 3 for £30. Free postage with Prime.

17. stenway

18. Dubmart

Dubmart Senior Member

johnnybrum likes this.
  19. stenway

Very cheap in UK, sadly in USA those are too expensive.

20. Dubmart

Dubmart Senior Member

Amazon UK were price matching the three pack at £28, might be worth a look if they do cheap shipping to the States.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2019
  21. nosliw

nosliw Delivering parcels throughout Teyvat! Meow~!

patient_ot likes this.
  22. Dubmart

Dubmart Senior Member

At the equivalent of £23 that's a lot more money than the £9.33 they currently work out in the UK.:yikes:

23. nosliw

nosliw Delivering parcels throughout Teyvat! Meow~!

No kidding since things here in Canada are quite expensive. I'd love to buy them when I moved a month ago but they're too cost prohibitive so I settled with a mix of milk crates and soy sauce boxes.

[​IMG]

24. stenway

Amazon UK shipping to USA:

£127.19 AmazonGlobal Standard (6-9 business days)
    £162.07 AmazonGlobal Priority : get it by Tuesday, Oct. 29

:shake: :thumbsdow

25. stenway

Avoid store records in cardboard boxes ON THE FLOOR, very risky to get humidity and mold.
    Happens to me one time.