Reassessing GTR

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Say It Right, Aug 19, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. glenecho

glenecho Forum Resident

I remember hearing Howe playing "Sketches In The Sun" on the "Asia in Asia" concert (the one with Greg Lake). It's a great piece for sure...not sure how long he had it in the bag before finally recording it for the GTR album.

Say It Right likes this.
  2. lol. I'm not one of them, it's just that his face is on the cover and it was the first time he really talked about his former group in detail (and that made it a must-read), so whenever I see the GTR review mentioned, my mind sees the cover of the magazine.

Say It Right likes this.
  3. Question of the hour--how does Squackett compared to GTR? ;)

4. c-eling

c-eling Dinner's In The Microwave Sweety

Thanks, I checked out some yt tracks and yeah

5. bRETT

bRETT Senior Member

Night and day, which doesn't mean it's more prog. Combine the style of a recent Hackett solo album with Squire's Conspiracy records.

6. mrgroove01

mrgroove01 Still looking through bent-backed tulips

Whenever I hear GTR mentioned, this is exactly what comes to my mind, within a split second. Musician Magazine review if I recall correctly,

7. Galley

Galley Forum Resident

I think the album is phenomenal! I have the Japan for USA Arista pressing, the One Way remaster and the King Biscuit live disc.

liboriofriki and ptijerm like this.
  8. Say It Right

Say It Right Not for the Hearing Impaired Thread Starter

You don't happen to post at Prog Archives, do you?

http://www.progarchives.com/artist.asp?id=814

9. bRETT

bRETT Senior Member

10. Say It Right

Good. The review referenced "Hackett to Bits" as "a vile bastardization" and was rather extreme. Steve Hackett has as much right to copy himself as Mick & Keith.

11. ptijerm

ptijerm Forum Resident

GTR's self-titled album is one of my favorite albums. I played the hell out of this record when it came out and drove my friends mad. LOL

12. I do like Conspiracy. I like Fish out of Water. Heck, I like Esquire. Time to check out Squackett. Probably the Circa albums, too, while I'm at it. ;)

13. i thought this was a major disapointment when it came out. Max Bacon's voice was too shrill. The sound was way too overproduced and compressed. It was on Arista, which means it was old guys previously successful repackaged as pop renaissance, thanks to Clive Davis, who is awful. I love Genesis, Asia, and Yes, and years later after GTR, 3, and Emerson, Lake and Powell (which had its good moments), when are they going to stop squeezing the lemon?

There are a couple cool bits of guitar, but the rest is crap. I paid $14 for this in 85, I want a refund! Just kidding!

zebop and Scott J like this.
  14. VeeDub

VeeDub Senior Member

As a big Howe fan who was a little too young to see Yes before the Drama drama brought that incarnation of the band to an end, I really enjoyed the GTR live show, having missed an opportunity to catch Asia a number of years prior. The Steves' arsenal of guitars was a sight to behold.

The album, though, is one in a long line of diminishing returns as the prog stalwarts endlessly recombined themselves throughout the '80s. I love Asia's debut, 90125, and even Alpha, but Astra, GTR, ELPowell, 3........ugh. The decade just got worse as it went along, with the only reprieve coming from ABWH, but even that one only has flashes of brilliance. Big Generator has its moments, I suppose. Nevertheless, I hung in there with it all, for better or worse; mostly worse.

15. What/who was "3"?

Never mind. Figured it out. Not sure if I remember the song, though.

Last edited: Aug 20, 2013
  16. Howe and Hackett on Good Morning America. Both are good sports. Softball questions from an interviewer who obviously is going cold off a script and has no idea who they are:

17. SoporJoe

SoporJoe Forum Resident

Steve Howe should have been the singer. He's a great singer.

GodShifter likes this.
  18. curbach

curbach Some guy on the internet

No he's not, but he may be preferable to Max Bacon :laugh:

Malina likes this.
  19. zebop

zebop Well Known Stranger

I liked them for some reason, I liked "When the Heart Rules the Mind" a lot when it was on the radio. I watched that MTV clip and liked "Jekyll and Hyde."

The singer here might be the problem. I could have sworn Max Bacon was from the US. Nope. The material probably needed a grittier, less polished voice.

20. Say It Right

21. CybrKhatru

CybrKhatru Music is life.

Usually I'm not a big proponent of remixing, but in this case I'll make an exception. :)

zen likes this.
  22. You summed it up better than I did. There was this period of the 80s with Astra, GTP, ELPowell, 3, "new Asia" and a couple others, I thought, " what are you guys doing? you aren't pop stars or are even good at it" o_O

Fortunately, Yes did some nice albums later (Magnification, The Ladder, etc) and old Asia regrouped years later. ABWH was a welcome relief, but being issued on Arista, I thought they might force them work with Whitney Houston to make it more "accessible"! :D I was really concerned I wasted $12 again. Fortunately there was Fish-era Marillion to make up for it for prog fans.

23. CybrKhatru

CybrKhatru Music is life.

Interestingly enough, the One Way remaster of this was one of my first major experiences with "ICK! REMASTERED IS NOT BETTER!" wow.......

24. Say It Right

These displaced progressive rockers (they were still relatively young), they had the talent, but the landscape had changed. It's not as if they could repeat any patterns from the 70's. So, they had to change course to continue with their careers. What we understood to be "progressive" was totally out of fashion during that era.

To suggest that they were trying to become pop stars isn't totally accurate either. These acts weren't competing with Madonna and Cyndi Lauper. They were going for some of the AOR territory. Irrespective of what we all might've thought of GTR in 1986, they at least accomplished this with "When the Heart Rules the Mind." Granted, the song got assistance with Arista's team (that's what they do), but it got airplay and sold some copies. From a commercial standpoint, it was reasonably successful. From a musical standpoint, the results were mixed. From a financial standpoint, they were in debt from the recording costs.
    It can't be any worse than the flat transfer Arista CD. Thin sounding.

Shak Cohen and CybrKhatru like this.
  25. Interesting. I did like a few songs, but wow, they lost money on it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.