Reccomendations for a all in one record player please?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Beatlelennon65, Jan 28, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Beatlelennon65

Beatlelennon65 Active Member Thread Starter

Is there such a thing as a good record player with built in speakers? I am looking for something to start with, and in a few years, I will buy a "real" record player and go all out with tubes and all. For right now I just want something that sounds good and wont damage my records. Obviously not on the audiophile level here, just want to hear Sgt. Pepper in mono on vinyl, and some old jazz and other stuff. Please no Fischer Price, thank you.:D I tried playing my UHQR MoFi Sgt. Pepper on it and it just didnt sound nearly as good as the cd version.:sigh: :D :cool: :laugh: :) ;) :p

2. -Ben

-Ben Senior Member

Good and built in speakers? Mutually exclusive. Save until you can buy a real one.
    BC

3. Todd Fredericks

Todd Fredericks Senior Member

4. thegage

thegage Forum Currency Nerd

All the ones I've seen that you can currently buy (for example, from Restoration Hardware) feature a ceramic cartridge that probably tracks at around 3-5 grams--if not more. If you've got a few old ones lying around, or some questionable garage sale finds that you're just dying to hear, then I guess one of these all-in-ones is an OK place to start. But as Todd says, I wouldn't play any records that I really care about on something like this, since groove damage is a real possibility.

John K.

5. ZIPGUN99

ZIPGUN99 Active Member

6. jeff e.

jeff e. Member

The thing is, for the nearly $200 that SI suitcase would cost, you could get a decent used turntable (Dual, Technics, etc.), a nice low-powered 70's integrated amp or receiver with a phono stage, and a pair of decent used bookshelf speakers. Or, if you already have a receiver with a phono stage, you could get an even better turntable. It might take a little bit of work, but I've found a lot of outstanding vintage turntables, receivers and speakers for $10-$50 at thrift stores and estate sales. Just a thought... :cool:

7. Beatlelennon65

Beatlelennon65 Active Member Thread Starter

I wouldnt even know where to begin to look for that stuff, although it odes sound like a better idea. I guess I will have to check out some Pawn Shops andt thrift stores. I know someone who does estate sales, so I will have to tell her to keep an eye out.

8. BradOlson

BradOlson Country/Christian Music Maven

You are right about where to look. :)

9. sgraham

sgraham New Member

If you do get a used turntable, be sure to buy a new stylus for it. The one that it comes with is almost sure to be shot, and a good chisel for your grooves. And set the tracking force to the upper end of the stylus's rated force, not the lower end, for best record care.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.