Recently Bought My "First" Turntable Sony PS-LX350H $50

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by AcidPunk15, Nov 20, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AcidPunk15

AcidPunk15 Forum Resident Thread Starter

Hey, Guys I recently bought a new turntable. Any who knows me on these forums know that I have "trouble" buying turntable. The first turntable I bought was actually very profitable I paid $40 for Technics SL-3300 without a counterweight but it came with a stacking spindle and a Shure V15 Type III. (150+ value). It couldn't be fixed without vast knowledge of dismantling technics turntables so I sold it. (still, have the stacking spindle and Shure cartridge) Then I bought a $15 Technics SL-BD22, but it was damaged on arrival to my apartment because my mother didn't ship the platter separately from the turntable.

I finally have a working Sony PS-LX350H (I know the bottom of the barrel) but it works and I will finally be able to listen to the records I have bought. I will upgrade moving forward. I wanted something cheap so I could finally just listen to my LPs.

The problem is it doesn't come with a grounding wire the owner did not know if it ever did. He said that I could install it myself. I believed him I didn't think I was wrong. Am I screwed? Also, any improves I can make besides a cork mat and better catridge? Suggestions. Everything seems to work fine. I haven't opened it up. is there anything I should do? there is some dust on the inside should I just clean it with water (distilled?) The place where the red and white cables go is a little shakey I can fix this by just opening up the turntable and tightening the screws.

https://i.imgur.com/yEXk7BP.jpg

Imgur: The most awesome images on the Internet

2. PhxJohn

PhxJohn Forum Resident

Don't use water on it. Just a dry cloth. And don't snag the stylus. Some turntables do not have separate grounding wires so you may be fine. Upgrade the cartridge from what to what ?

3. DLD

DLD Senior Member

Don't slag off on that table. You could have done far, far worse. I hope, as PhxJohn said, that maybe it's one of those tables that don't have a grounding wire. For $50 you did better than good. That Shure cartridge you have, if the stylus has life left in it, is a very fine cartridge, worthy of a very fine table. One note of caution, I installed one on a slightly less than middle of the road late 70s Sony table back in the day and they stylus wouldn't stay in the groove even at a 1.5g setting. I mention this as it may be more than a match for your new turntable.

4. AcidPunk15

did you look at the photo. GND is an abbreviation for ground wire.

5. AcidPunk15

Hey so if i want to ground the sound (which i obviously do) do i just a grounding cable and connect it from my turntable to my stereo receiver. Instead connecting it to a mixer like he did

6. JohnO

JohnO Senior Member

To clean the dust, if it is only dust, use a microfiber cloth, dry. If you don't have one, they're a buck at Dollar Tree or $2 or $3 at a grocery store or an auto parts store. The microfiber cloth will pick up and grab loose dry dust. It's very useful for any kind of dusting. If there's some gunk anywhere, then you could you try water only, on the microfiber cloth, to just moisten it. You can wash this type of cloth normally but do not use fabric softener in the wash or in drying, let it air dry.
    You can try hooking it up without a ground wire. If you have any hum without the ground, then use a ground wire. From tt to to the ground lug on the receiver.
    It looks like the Sony came with an AT cart, but I can't tell for sure. You could try getting a replacement stylus for that model cart, which should cost less than a stylus for the Type III.

7. AcidPunk15

I have a replacement cart but do i need to connect a ground wire from my Receiver to my speakers or do i just need some RCA cables

8. JohnO

JohnO Senior Member

For your speakers, the twin wire for each from receiver to speaker is all you need. No separate ground wire. If the speakers and receiver use RCA cables to connect, that also is all you need.

9. AcidPunk15

thx

10. telemike

telemike Forum Resident

My JVC turntable doesn't have a ground wire, it uses the ground on the RCA cables

11. Bob_in_OKC

Bob_in_OKC Forum Resident

I don’t see a solid answer on the ground question. In the Sony manual it shows a screw marked GND and says to connect it to the ground terminal on your receiver.

12. vwestlife

vwestlife Forum Resident

The PS-LX350H isn't "bottom of the barrel". It's essentially a belt-drive version of the AT-LP120. The chassis is identical.

AcidPunk15 likes this.
  13. eidling

eidling Forum Resident

Based on this (see page 5):
    https://docs.sony.com/release/PSLX350H.PDF
    there is a place to connect a ground wire on this model.

Others here will know better than me, but I have just used any old wire when I have a turntable without a ground wire. If your receiver or amplifier does not have a specific place to connect the wire, then you can loosen one of the screws on it that connects to metal and attach the wire there. Again others may know better than me about this. If so, please add/correct to what I have written.

14. AcidPunk15

so its a belt drive technics clone Hapin belt drive ok makes me feel better its in great condition i opened it up and everything looks "new"

15. AcidPunk15

in the pic i posted there is a specific place called GND ( ground wire) and i will connect it to my stereo receiver at the GND section. Also i will connect my phono stage in my TT to the phono stage in my stereo receiver but from there what do I

16. AcidPunk15

Hey thanks for the responses guys also just wonder what else do I need besides a ground wire. Do i need speaker wire or just RCA cables (red and white to connect my receiver to my speakers? I want to buy everything before black Friday sale runs out.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.