Recommend some Flute Jazz!

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by ZappaSG, May 6, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ZappaSG

ZappaSG New Member Thread Starter

I'm looking for some killer flute based jazz. Basically Jethro Tull but within a full jazz context (Their cover of Serenade to a Cuckoo is a perfect example of what I am looking for). Could be gentle, could be killer jamming. I know a lot of people will suggest Roland Kirk but he veers a little too much into the abstract for what I am looking for. At least I think so, I don't have much exposure to him.

Anyways, flute based jazz. Let the suggestions fly!

wavethatflag likes this.
  2. JuanTCB

JuanTCB Senior Member

Herbie Mann Memphis Underground

BrokenByAudio and npc145 like this.
  3. Rfreeman

Rfreeman Senior Member

Jean Pierre Rampal and Claude Bolling - Suite for Flute and Jazz Piano.

Coltrane played flute on some of his final works. Including one on the Expression CD, I think.

4. DylansGypsyDavey

DylansGypsyDavey New Member

Yeah, hard to go wrong with Herbie Mann. Played on a ton of tracks with other artists, so you could use him to launch you into a jazz exploration.

5. ZappaSG

Actually bought that in college on vinyl based solely on the cover! :righton:

6. ZappaSG

I will check him out. I have a ton of jazz, just no flute jazz. Thanks!

7. John B Good

John B Good Forum Hall Of Fame

I was listening to The Evolution of Mann last night. Terrific compilation.

Moe Koffman has recorded a lot of music. He had a huge hit eons ago, called Swinging Shepherd Blues

Check it out

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AiOkgKm0Tcg

8. Nonhuman

Nonhuman Forum Resident

Tim Weisberg, "Tip Of The Weisberg" ? I'm not sure if this would qualify as jazz. I think I used to have it on DBX vinyl.

9. Ocean56

Ocean56 Forum Resident

Bobbi Humphreys.

10. Bill Cormier

Bill Cormier Forum Resident

Hubert Laws had some excellent early `70s CTI releases.

MarkAJ and JuanTCB like this.
  11. leshafunk

leshafunk Forum Resident

Herbie Mann and Bobbi Humphrey already mentioned here, and their music is quite accessible.
    Hubert Laws is one more big name to mention (actually he's bigger than former two) - more "true" jazz with a nod to classical; and he also did some pop danceable jazz e.g. on Chicago Theme

12. Roger Thornhill

Roger Thornhill Senior Member

Eric Dolphy played flute on occasions in addition to alto sax and bass clarinet.

'Gazzelloni' on Out To Lunch and 'Glad To Be Unhappy' from Outward Bound spring to mind. There's a couple of tracks on Out There too.

13. Sander

Sander Senior Member

:agree: For some great 70s jazz-fusion, check out the albums Bobbi Humphrey did together with the Mizell Brothers on Blue Note: Blacks and Blues, Satin Doll and Fancy Dancer.

pscreed likes this.
  14. Ocean56

Ocean56 Forum Resident

I remembered the name of the OTHER flautist I wanted to recommend....Ali Ryerson! She's excellent!

15. PhilBiker

PhilBiker sh.tv member number 666

For 80s style electric "smooth"-ish jazz check out Dave Valentin. I can't recommend any specific albums. I only have two and they're both good, not great, but worth a listen. Back-up band is the typical GRP crowd.

16. Cassiel

Cassiel Sonic Reducer

Yusef Lateef. You really can't go wrong with any of his '50's-'60's stuff - he adopted some soul-pop stylings in the '70's that aren't so much to my taste.

17. mike65!

mike65! Senior Member

Yes! I really like his Carnegie Hall release from 1973. It'll be easier finding it on vinyl than on cd, though. I bought mine when Caldor (remember them?) had a jazz blow-out sale. A huge bin of CTI and Verve albums for 3 or 4 bucks each. If I had known then what I know now. :sigh:

18. dAlost

dAlost for the love of cheese cookies

Sam Rivers on 'Sam Rivers Dave Holland Vol. 2' plays a 23 minute flute performance named 'Ripples', pretty sweet.
    John Coltrane plays flute on the Giant Steps album, but I can't think of the song right now.

19. wiseblood

wiseblood Forum Resident

hey AQUALUNG!

Anchorman anyone?

20. inaptitude

inaptitude Forum Resident

Wes Montgomery (amazing jazz guitarist) released a great album in 1960 called "Movin' Along" featuring James Clay on flute. You can hear some snippets on Amazon

21. Roninblues

Roninblues 猿も木から落ちる。

:cheers: First one that came to mind.

22. liv3evil

liv3evil Forum Resident

Milt Jackson's "Goodbye" (with Hubert Laws) - on CTI [6038] from 1974. Lot of other great players, too - Ron Carter, Herbie Hancock, Billy Cobham, etc.

:)

23. Maggie

Maggie like a walking, talking art show

No he doesn't.

Coltrane only recorded on flute once, on the album Expression (1967). It was Eric Dolphy's flute, which Coltrane inherited in 1964, and Eric Dolphy wasn't dead yet when Giant Steps was recorded.

One song is called "Syeeda's Song Flute," but Coltrane plays tenor on it. A "song flute" is a recorder BTW.

There is no flute on Giant Steps, and the only other Coltrane recordings with flute have Eric Dolphy playing it (e.g. Ole, various European concerts...) Coltrane did not begin to learn how to play this instrument until 1965.

24. Doug Sclar

Doug Sclar Forum Legend

Rahsaan Roland Kirk.

25. dAlost

dAlost for the love of cheese cookies

:ignore: OOOPS!!

Obviously you are right. I was going through a pile of Coltrane CDs and got them mixed up. However I'm sure it's George Lane and not Eric Dolphy who played flute on Olé :righton: (that was a joke, I know he is Eric Dolphy)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.