Recommend some great African LPs

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Mogens, Jun 26, 2015.

1. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

Why is Congoloais music on CD so scarce, when (despite the loss in the overall CD market) there are still millions of CDs being made by small "no-name" labels? It seems someone would just reissue them or even put them out in unauthorized editions. The prices demanded on various web market sites are extremely high. You would think counterfeit copies would be everywhere, especially as most African CDs have minimal graphic art.

2. hockman

hockman Forum Resident

Perhaps rare only in the US. Probably not so hard to find in France.

Most Africans don't really listen to 'old' Congolaise music any more, they just like what everybody else in the West likes e.g. rap, pop etc. So not much of a market anyway.

Mr Bass likes this.
  3. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

Certainly true that they are easier to find in France, but I suspect that the classic stuff is still hard to get there as well. A study of Amazon France used CD dealers will show that, I think.

It's a real shame that the classic music from the Congo (to me, circa 1960-1985 or so) is largely ignored. It is infectious, everyone who hears it enjoys it. Once in a while, I broadcast it on FM for three hours.

panasoffkee likes this.
  4. Mr Bass

Mr Bass Chevelle Ma Belle

This is very true. There is not the Boomer market in those African countries that maintains a large devoted interest through the years to that period. In addition many of those countries had many changes in government and social upheaval which reduces the felt continuity with the past. The one African country IMO that still maintains some affection for artists of the 60s/70s is Ethiopia.

5. Malinky

Malinky Almost a Gentleman.

Beat me to it! I have `Sound d`Afrique 11 Soukous` a beautiful album.
    Check out ` DEDE PRISCILLA`....

Also can`t go wrong with any `Silver Rail Band` or for a more modern `dance` rhythm try `Papa Wemba`.

6. PhilBorder

PhilBorder Senior Member

listen to this for 30 seconds. If you like it, you'll like the entire album: one long ebbulient groove

culabula likes this.
  7. hockman

hockman Forum Resident

Collecting African music particularly on vinyl is highly addictive to me. The music is so absorbing yet easily enjoyable. The original records are hard to find, usually in poor shape, with tattered covers and expensive! I have to lower my normal standards on condition because if I don't acquire what I find, I don't know if I may see another copy (or one in better shape).

The Syliphone stuff is just amazing. A bit more traditional, yet very modern, forward-sounding. The records have been long out of print and very limited reissues on CD. This blog is really enlightening:

Radio Africa

Last edited: Apr 26, 2017
    panasoffkee likes this.
  8. Pastafarian

Pastafarian Forum Resident

In this mode Remmy Ongala has produced some great music with Orchestra Makassy and Orchestre Super Matimila

9. Pastafarian

One album you needs is Orchestre Makassy - Agwaya, vinyl release on Virgin, titled Legends of East Africa on CD.

panasoffkee likes this.
  10. garrincha

garrincha Forum Resident

Nahawa Doumbia - La Grande Cantatrice Malienne Vol. 3

I picked up the 2011 Awesome Tapes from Africa reissue a wile back, but it sounds pretty flat and lifeless tbh, so hanging on for a first press in decent nick. not cheap though!

11. PhilBorder

PhilBorder Senior Member

Lots of great Ghana Gospel music, but hard to find!

12. Pastafarian

Can't decide if that's awful or so cheesy it's fantastic:wiggle:.

13. Pastafarian

Sheer beauty, love the shimming guitar, H. O. Kabaselleh - Achi Maria

14. RTS

RTS Member

That first African Pearls compilation, Congo: Rumba on the River, is fantastic and sounds great too. If I were stranded on a desert island, I'd want this one with me.

panasoffkee likes this.
  15. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

With electricity or a good battery supply too

16. Pastafarian

Lots of Talk about Franco, this is a rather nice one from my favourite artist, Mbanda Boma L'Heure

17. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

Franco

I love the harmony of the saxophones in this, and of course the guitar. The vocal harmonies are great too.

The cover image used by the youtube site is not the original cover of the record.

The original record sounds a million times better than this heavily compressed and filtered mp3

Pastafarian likes this.
  18. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

Franco

Another great one. Again, the real record sounded a LOT better

RTS and Pastafarian like this.
  19. PhilBorder

PhilBorder Senior Member

It is cheesy. And fantasic. some of the less cheesy stuff is even more fantastic.

20. Pastafarian

Franco time!! Siluwangi Wapi Accordeon:

21. Pastafarian

Mbanda Nasali Nini

22. Pastafarian

23. Spadeygrove

Spadeygrove Senior Member

24. Pastafarian