Recommendations/assistance fine-tuning turntable setup in Washington DC area?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by snorker, May 27, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. snorker

snorker Big Daddy Thread Starter

I'm noticing a bit of distortion lately on certain vocals in some records that sounds kind of like an over-modulation. I know some inner groove distortion is inherent to the medium, but it's hard to tell if it's the records themselves or my set up is mistracking a bit. It's not always on the innermost tracks. These are all new or NM records.

I'd really like to get my Clearaudio Concept Wood as fine-tuned as I can, but I don't have any more than the tools that came with the turntable. The dealer who sold me the table didn't seem too concerned about azimuth and VTA, etc. but I'd like to get all that sorted without buying a Fozgometer and other assorted tools that all-told will probably cost more than the turntable itself!

Anyone have any suggestions for a shop in the Washington DC area that can assist me? Or anybody willing to lend me some equipment?

Thanks!

2. jfine

jfine Forum Resident

How many miles you got on the stylus and/or is it clean?

3. snorker

I've only had it since for about five months or so. I clean it regularly with Zerodust and occasionally with LP#9.

4. Bill

Bill Senior Member

Gifted Listener is great if you can get there.

5. snorker

Thanks, I'll check them out.

6. snorker

I think I corrected my issue. :D I readjusted the overhang using the supplied Clearaudio alignment gauge. It looked just a touch off, with the cantilever not quite parallel with the markings on the "bullseye." Played a few of the tracks I was hearing issues with and they sound much better.

I'll have to do more critical listening later, but hopefully it was just that simple adjustment.

7. Larry I

Larry I Senior Member

Gifted Listener sells Linn gear so they are probably good at dealing with tempermental tables/setup. Deja Vu in McLean is also well versed in turntable setup, but, they tend to view turntables as "robust" and are not into fiddling with alignment and adjustments to get it perfect (still a MUST visit place for everyone). Command AV in Falls Church is another place to check out; I don't know about their service capability, but, they do carry Clearaudio tables so they must know something about setup.

8. snorker

Thanks Larry. I know Déjà Vu well and they have a great shop. I bought the turntable and a phono stage from them. You're right, their philosophy was not to fiddle with turntable setup, which was why I was looking for some alternatives.

However, I think my own fiddling solved the issue. I had a grounding issue with the tonearm wires previously and had to move the tonearm in the base a bit. Then I had to try get the VTA/SRA back in line, and VTF, and antiskate, etc! It looks like I didn't have the overhang exactly right after making the other adjustments, which may have been causing an issue. Hopefully it's all sorted now, but if I need further assistance I'll try some of these places.

9. SteveReeve

SteveReeve New Member

Bill - If you really want to perfect your setup you might want to invest in a Mint Tractor - http://mintlp.com/best.htm

It's made specifically for your arm and the lines on it are extremely fine - so fine you'll need at least an 8 times loupe to setup correctly.

I didn't think it would make that much difference in my rig,i.e. until a friend brought his over (we have the same arms). Sounds great now :)

What improved - mainly the clarity (i.e. less distortion), image and dynamic performance - much more punch!

If you are serious about vinyl they are worth every penny - cost is around $110, but it's very well made and will last a lifetime - just don't sell your arm

Hope this helps

10. Larry I

Larry I Senior Member

Snorker,

I am glad you solved your problem. I agree with SteveReeve that the Mint Tractor is great for extremely precise alignment. As for setting azimuth, SRA/VTA, that would require other helpful tools. I know someone with pretty good setup gear--Feickert alignment tool, Fozgometer (azimuth), test records for setting antiskating by ear, etc. It is not really his line of work to set up tables, but, he is very good at this and with repairs (he repairs reel-to-reel taperecorders for Deja Vu as a sideline). If you need further assistance he might be willing to help.

11. snorker

Thanks Larry. I only had time to do a little listening after I realigned it, but it sounded much better, with no perceptible inner groove distortion on some mint records that I was previously having some issues with. However, to be sure I really ought to put on a few more records when I have time to sit down and give a more critical listen. If it still sounds off I'll probably want to contact your friend. Perhaps you could PM me with his contact information, if you don't mind. Thanks again.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.