Recommendations for 16mm kinescope transfer

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by SBC, Jun 20, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SBC

SBC Forum Resident Thread Starter

Hello all,
    I recently acquired a 16mm kinescope of what I believe to be a lost TV show. Unfortunately it is badly warped, though I think it is salvageable by someone that knows what they are doing. I do not want to send this to someone who will screw up the job. Can any of you recommend someone who won't charge a fortune but still knows how to handle material of this vintage and condition?

I would also welcome your opinions on preservation options so that I can slow the process of its deterioration. Thanks!

Dan C and TelevisionInterest like this.
  2. Benno123

Benno123 Forum Resident

Just curious what the show is. If it is indeed lost perhaps one of the broadcast museums can help, they transfer and give you a copy as well as return the film in exchange to keep a copy of the show in their collection?

3. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

The trick is, good work doesn't come cheap, and cheap work is rarely good.

I would try Paul Foster at Cine Solutions:

Paul Foster
    Cine Solutions
    25530 Avenue Standford - Suite #209
    Valencia, CA 91355
    cine-solutions-ltd
    [email protected]
    (661) 294-2310

See what he says. I know he's done some problematic 16mm films and managed to tame them to a point. The trick is when the emulsion becomes "cupped," which makes focusing difficult.

SandAndGlass and SBC like this.
  4. SBC

Thank you ! I will do that.

5. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

Where are you in Pennsylvania? Might find some assistance closer to home. And you never know who's still an engineer at a local station who used to run films back in tha day.

You're not sure if it's a lost show? Have you put the reel up on a 16mm film editor to take a look at it? That's an easy way to get a glimpse without putting the film through the potential torture of a whole projector film path and film gate...

6. James Slattery

James Slattery Forum Resident

Yes, firstly what is it and are you sure its rare and valuable? Before you go to a lot of time and expense, I'd love to know what it is. Secondly, depending how bad a shape its in, it may not be as daunting a task as you envision. Thirdly, I don't think that once deterioration starts, there's much that can be done to reverse the process. Fourthly and most importantly, avoid the Paley Center at all costs, unless you want the film to be donated and then misplaced and treated like garbage.

7. SBC

A) I would not know of any old timer engineers plus I'm not just gonna hand this over to anyone.
    B) I don't own a film editor to view it. All of my research points to it being a lost program

8. Claus LH

Claus LH Forum Resident

What’s the title of the film?

9. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Another scanning place you could try is OCN Digital in Connecticut:

OCN Digital Labs
    100 Congress Street
    Bridgeport, CT 06604
    (203) 441-5678
    www.ocndigital.com

SandAndGlass likes this.
  10. SBC

For those who asked it is an episode of a DuMont program called The Stranger, episode title The Build Up. 1954.

Benno123 likes this.
  11. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

Yeah, that would sure be something worth preserving. Congratulations. Really think it's worth finding somebody (Public Library, perhaps? University Media Department? Or, university media services?) with access to an ol' skool film editor, if for nothing else, to know for sure if it's the real deal, and judge the condition of the film (and the kinescope).

Back when major-market television stations booked movies from packages out of Hollywood, they would often have a guy on-staff who was a pretty smart cookie about both the films, and the industry. In fact, one of my professors at Ball State had such a gig, for a station in Indianapolis.

Not only did guys like this have the knowledge, but they had friends who shared those passions. They took active parts in local film societies. In other words...they networked, in their own way.

I'm just bringing this up to help you find somebody close to home, who can at least help you with your questions before you ship it off to somebody a lot more expensive.

12. beccabear67

beccabear67 Musical omnivore.

13. SBC

longdist01 and beccabear67 like this.
  14. paulisdead

paulisdead fast and bulbous

15. James Slattery

James Slattery Forum Resident

Thought about that but even in air tight cans, they would be destroyed by now. Besides, other than historic value, Dumont shows were all pretty bad. Maybe the only things worthwhile would be early Gleason or Kovacs stuff.

16. TelevisionInterest

TelevisionInterest Active Member

This is so fascinating SBC. I would love to message you with a question about this show--what an incredible find!

17. TelevisionInterest

TelevisionInterest Active Member

Hey SBC, I spoke with a friend who is a film archivist (for a few years he worked at the Academy Film Archive). We had some ideas about this and he is in the Northeast. I wanted to reach out and would love to chat more about this and my own interest in the material!

18. Luke The Drifter

Luke The Drifter Forum Resident

I noticed the Wikipedia page is updated to read:

"Another episode, "The Build-Up" (September 24, 1954), is known to exist in a private collection."

Very cool SBC. Good luck!

SBC likes this.
  19. SBC

The film will be on YouTube within a few weeks for all to enjoy.

20. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

That's very cool! Send us a link when it's up. I hope they did the old film justice.

Dan C likes this.
  21. SBC

Trust me. With what they had to work with, they pulled a rabbit from a hat.

22. Matt W.

Matt W. Forum Resident

The transfer of this has since appeared on YouTube.

23. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Looks to me like the film has mold and mildew damage at the end. I'd say you're lucky to even get a 1954 16mm kine to look this good in 2020.

chilinvilin likes this.
  24. stereoguy

stereoguy Its Gotta Be True Stereo!

A little bit of TV history was saved by your perseverance. Great job!!

chilinvilin likes this.
  25. This is so awesome, would love to hear the story of how you acquired it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.