Recommendations for an equalizer.

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by JBStephens, Jan 18, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JBStephens

JBStephens I don't "like", "share", "tweet", or CARE. In Memoriam Thread Starter

I'm using an equalizer to keep the low end out of the mains rather than a crossover. I had a Sansui, which was good, but slightly "cloudy" sounding. Then I got a Pyramid at a yard sale for $3. It's cleaner than the Sansui was, with a much sweeter top end. But I think there are better EQ's out there. Any equalizer recommendations? I need a 10-band at least. Thanks!

JB

Heckto35 likes this.
  2. bluemooze

bluemooze Senior Member

3. moops

moops Senior Member

At that price you should grab another, just as a back-up.

fogalu, dirtymac and bluemooze like this.
  4. John

John Senior Member

McLover and bluemooze like this.
  5. Black Elk

Black Elk Music Lover

6. bluemooze

bluemooze Senior Member

:righton:

7. McLover

McLover Senior Member

A proper crossover to begin with. Nothing else will quite get you there.

8. TerryB

TerryB Forum Resident

This.

9. JBStephens

JBStephens I don't "like", "share", "tweet", or CARE. In Memoriam Thread Starter

I know this. While my system is acceptable, the room is horrid, in spite of having walls covered with fiberglass. Equalization is needed. Thanks, though!

10. Ham Sandwich

Ham Sandwich Senior Member

Do you need a full graphic EQ or would a high pass filter work? At what frequency are you rolling off?
    A dedicated high pass filter (or what I like to call a low cut filter) is going to sound better than trying to use the sliders of a graphic EQ to do something similar.

11. McLover

McLover Senior Member

Why not a SAE Parametric which might be doable without breaking the bank or a Soundcraftsmen? Both are as good as consumer models get.

12. The Pinhead

The Pinhead KING OF BOOM AND SIZZLE IN HELL

It shocks me that a Pyramid:hurlleft: might sound better than a Sansui !! Something HAS to be seriously wwrong with the unit for this to happen. My amp has a 30 hz. low pass I sometimes use when I need to roll off the bass, but from your post I understand you may not. Mind to post a pic or link to your eqs ?

Last edited: Jan 19, 2015
  13. thegage

thegage Forum Currency Nerd

You don't post a price point. I'd look at DSPeaker products, as they would also help with room issues.

John K.

14. Tommy SB

Tommy SB Forum Resident

Implementing a proper crossover followed by a parametric eq as noted by McLover is good advice...

15. JBStephens

I know, when I think Pyramid I think bottom-shelf car stereo subwoofers. Or Alan Parsons. But the Sansui is old and has issues and the Pyramid is new. 30 and 60 are all the way down, with a slight dips at 500 and 4K. The subs come in around 120. I think a paremetric is the way to go, as noted. Trouble is, I need to keep it under $200, and I wouldn't be afraid to try a used piece.

Thanks!

16. The Pinhead

17. McLover

McLover Senior Member

Yes, I recommend good crossover. Then use a nice SAE Parametric equalizer set right. Then you'll be in heaven.

Heckto35 and Tommy SB like this.
  18. head_unit

head_unit Senior Member

Could you explain WHY you are not using a proper crossover? And what is the rest of your system? Pictures of the "horrid" room?

As an acoustic engineer, I'd be willing to be that a lot of your "horrid" room problems are time-based, and an equalizer cannot really fix them. SOME of those types of problems may be ameliorated to some degree by processing such as Audyssey.

Basically, equalizers don't really help too much to make the music more accurate, unless your speakers are truly awful. Parametric EQ may help with certain problems, but it is like if you have a ball-and-chain attached to your leg and put a helium balloon on it so it doesn't drag so much. You really just need to get rid of the ball-and-chain!

19. avanti1960

avanti1960 Forum Resident

mini dsp in a box 2x4 w/ 4 way GEQ plugin. control from your computer at your listening position w/ usb link

bluemooze and Tommy SB like this.
  20. JBStephens

I got a Yamaha GE-30 for $28.50. Thanks for the suggestions.

21. The Pinhead

Great eq dude !!!!!!

[​IMG]

Heckto35 likes this.
  22. Mike-48

Mike-48 A shadow of my former self

The Audient ASP231 is beloved of many audiophiles. I have one and like it. It's been discontinued but can sometimes be found used for <= $400. It has a HP filter as well as the 31 frequency bands.

23. Hipper

Hipper Forum Resident

A Behringer DEQ496 was mentioned above and I use this.

However a Behringer DCX2496 can also do crossovers as well as some EQ:

http://www.behringer.com/EN/Products/DCX2496.aspx

I've no experience of the DCX but I'm sure it is pretty complicated, has a reasonably good ADC and DAC, and uses balanced XLR ins and outs. My speaker manufacturer used the DCX to implement an active crossovers for his speakers.

These sorts of work can also be done by software.

24. nitsuj

nitsuj Forum Resident

25. JBStephens

Actually, it's a GE-40 that I got, not a GE-30 as I originally posted. The GE-40 is a bit nicer, and works beautifully with this system. It took a few days of tweaking, but it's much sweeter than the Sansui was. I'm an engineer too, Head_Unit :D and the problem with the room is standing waves, which an EQ deals with quite effectively. There isn't room for bass traps, I'm afraid. Covering the walls with fiberglass is as far as I can go.

Nice Grateful Dead up there, nitsuj. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.