Record Cleaning - Perfect Vinyl Forever

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by BD2665, Feb 26, 2018.

1. BD2665

BD2665 Forum Resident Thread Starter

I wanted to let folks here know about a new and phenomenal way to clean your records. Perfect Vinyl Forever is a cleaning service is the most effective and thorough cleaning system I have seen and most importantly heard.

This system was developed by a vinyl lover who, in his basement, researched, designed, and built an incredible system that cleans records better than any other system out there. How can I say this? Simple I've heard the results and they are incredible. This is not some subtle effect once you have heard a record cleaned on his system you will be amazed.

I first heard about this system through my dealer who was so impressed that he set up demos one Saturday morning in his store. Steve Evans is the inventor and he has spent an incredible amount of time and effort testing and documenting all types of cleanings methods to determine what actually worked best and then began to design and test his cleaning system until it outperformed anything else. His system uses a unique system of ultra sonic methods combined with cleaning solutions in a multi part process that produces results that are easy to hear. I have now had a number of my records cleaned using the process and the results are really incredible. There is so much more to hear on each record it truly seems to be closer to what was on the tape. Reduced noise, greater dynamics, and more information.

2. BD2665

BD2665 Forum Resident Thread Starter

I was not able to finish my thoughts before the system decided to post so here is the rest:

The system is too costly to produce machine for consumer use so Steve has set this up as a service where you send your records in they cleaned and returned to you. Perfect Vinyl Forever is now on Amazon where you can select a mailer for various amounts of records and all you need to do is put your records in send them off and they are returned to you.

PVF has. Website where you can learn more. I am in no way affiliated but just a very impressed customer and Steve is really a great guy so I can recommend this service without hesitation. For anyone who is even remotely interested I would suggest just a trial and decide for yourself how great your records can sound.

Steve will be at Axpona this year so if you're going you can talk to the man himself.

3. recstar24

recstar24 Senior Member

I saw them with a table at a record show here in the Chicagoland area in January I believe. His system looked fantastic and he clearly knows his stuff. However I believe he charges about $5 per record for his base 5 step process which was a bit expensive for me. He gave me some great advice and tips though on my own cleaning process, and it was clear he takes vinyl cleaning seriously.

Here's his website: Home

Johnny Wong and clhboa like this.
  4. Leonthepro

Leonthepro Skeptically Optimistic

More information after cleaning? Unless its absolutely crudded Im not sure about that.

Fishoutofwater likes this.
  5. quicksilverbudie

quicksilverbudie quicksilverbudie

Looks as thought they have been searching forums like this one to gain info.
    Good for them>:righton:

sean

6. Leonthepro

They mention that the procedure helps in the removal of oils. Now that makes me curious if they use any alcoholic substances or not.
    A popular argument against the use of concentrated alcoholic solutions or heavy chemicals is that it removes the oil compunds in the vinyl which give it its flexible properties. Removing those compounds will, while not evident at first, have long term effects by making the vinyl more brittle and in tern more prone to damages.

Saliva?
    As Ledermann once said "Dont talk to your records folks". In all seriousness though, if such miniscule things matter for the sound then you will recieve it from the very air in your listening room.

Master tape fidelity is impossible by the way. Unless the master tape was recorded from one of these with max 3db and 1kz range.
    [​IMG]

matrix-6 likes this.
  7. Johnny Wong

Johnny Wong Ya der hey.

Very good service! I can vouch for this system as I’ve had Steve clean a few of my prized possessions.

8. skimminstones

skimminstones Forum Resident

The fact they state "restore records to better than new condition" automatically makes me suspicious. So if i use their system to clean a dirty 50 yr old record its going to sound better than new is it?

Rubbish!

9. PMC7027

PMC7027 Forum Hall Of Fame

I wouldn't say "rubbish." Many people feel that new records need to be cleaned before their first play. Obviously a cleaning can't repair damaged grooves.

10. skimminstones

that is an entirely different comment to...."restore your records"

Fishoutofwater likes this.
  11. David A.

David A. Forum Resident

What a freaking CROCK!! "better than new"?? Gimmie a break. His caveat doesn't even mention that "limitation" re "better than new" doesn't pertain to records played many times.

The Pinhead and Fishoutofwater like this.
  12. Leonthepro

Yes because many new records today arrive dirty. Be it finger prints, dust or lots of static. But thats not exactly hard to get off either.
    If they cleaned a new QRP record I do not think there would be any benefits whatsoever.

13. JackG

JackG Forum Resident

I have a Spin-Clean but I have to admit I've always wished my local dealer offered a record cleaning service with a real state-of-the-art setup for better results than I can get.

mikeyt and quicksilverbudie like this.
  14. Leonthepro

I even offered my local record shop my help to work with an RCM solution for cleaning records. But it seemed like too big of a step for him. So I just ask some regulars there if they want to clean some records, none so far though.

I still think there is a market for it. If its quick and easy, like asking before a purchase if you want it cleaned for a small extra fee.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2018
    Rodant Kapoor likes this.
  15. PerfectVinylForever

PerfectVinylForever Forum Resident

Hello everyone, thank you for your interest in Perfect Vinyl Forever and for the OP's review of our services. If you don't mind, I'd like to add a few comments.

Don't let a succinct marketing message overshadow the value proposition and potential benefits of a professional record cleaning service. To truly understand how PVF is new and different and the improvements it will bring to your listening experience requires a conversation beyond the headline. Those who have met us at shows or during our record cleaning clinics have a level of understanding I hope to share with this group of enthusiasts.

Our foremost message to the marketplace is we are an advocate for record care and as a consumer you have a myriad of options to choose from. PVF is now another option with unique benefits in cost, time and results. PVF is the best option for some; others will prefer their own record cleaning regimen. To that end, our record cleaning clinic has helpful tips to maximize your results with your current process, whether you use a dry brush, vacuum unit, DIY ultrasonic or consumer ultrasonic equipment. And to that end, we are transparent as to what contributes to the results we achieve so you can make the best choice according to your priorities.

Cleaning records safely and thoroughly is not magic. But it is messy, smelly, noisy, time consuming and potentially expensive to make records sound their best. In the end it requires the optimal blend of physics, chemistry and devotion to do what it takes to get the best results. If you are a bit of a masochist like me, you'll continue to do yourself. For others, there is now a new option.

So lets discuss "better than new" for a moment. Can we take a 60 year original Blue Note record that has had a world of, ahem, "experience" and make it absolutely new again. No. You know we can't reverse groove damage, nobody can. What we do is take the remaining musical life that is left in that copy and make it as good as it can possibly be. You will hear valuable sonic improvements with fairly rough but still prized records. We will remove noise that is caused by organic contaminants and improve the sonic presentation of the record.

Where "better than new" truly applies is for records that are new or in good condition. This is not a new claim. Most vinyl enthusiasts will not play records unless they clean them. They sound better, literally, better than new. There is some debate on why this is. Most believe there is manufacturing residue, often referred to as mold release, that impedes the coupling of the stylus to groove. We are in the process of laboratory testing to get down to the true reason of "why". In the meantime, when we do back-to-back demonstrations of a new record, new record cleaned with vacuum RCM system and a PVF Ultra Deep cleaned record, the differences are obvious. I usually do not describe improved sonic characteristics, I leave that to the testimonials from our customers.

This applies to audiophile pressings as well. We recently sent out a test kit of new MOFI, Intervention and Deutsche Grammophon releases. Two copies each. One PFV Ultra Deep cleaned, one factory sealed. The reviewers were challenged to compare the new to PVF copies. Then clean the new copy and compare to the PVF copy. The response has been terrific. Watch our website for the official testimonials which will be posted soon.

Lastly, I think the value proposition is pretty simple. I contend a PVF treated record is the most cost effective improvement you can make to your analog signal path. For under $150, you can try it for yourself. At that price point, it is cheaper than any decent piece of record cleaning equipment and a batch of good cleaners. If you still think our claims are a "crock" or "rubbish", fair enough and godspeed as you seek a better solution.

Most importantly, happy listening!

-Steve Evans
    Founder - Perfect Vinyl Forever

Will be at AXPONA - Expo booth 209 | Master Class Seminar 4/13 at 1:00 PM

wwright, AidanB, clhboa and 6 others like this.
  16. Leonthepro

If anything I will be awaiting those scientific papers.

Fishoutofwater and Strat-Mangler like this.
  17. David A.

David A. Forum Resident

Comparisons of just two copies of one album is hardly proof, or even remotely scientific. sigh. I'm sure your record-cleaning service has a lot of merit, but the claims made on your site, IMO, are "puffery".

18. skimminstones

$150 for what? To try it for yourself, but in what way? Im guessing thats not per record and if its for some supposedly magical cleaning machine then why not just sell the machine if thats all its costing?

19. David A.

David A. Forum Resident

I've had good luck with my homebrew cleaning fluid of just ISO, H20, and Triton X-100, a homemade vac wand, a label protective clamp, and a lazy susan. I didn't want to spend a fortune, so I didn't buy some expensive antistatic liquid to add to the mix, but I already own a carbon brush and Zerostat. We don't often get zapped by static electricity in our home. It cost roughly $100 for the items that I didn't already have.
    It was a fun project as I had to refine some things a time or two to make everything work to my satisfaction.

Items:
    1. $17 lazy susan
    2. $2 for metal outlet cover (to use as a clamp over label)a
    3. $10 - 1/8" thick rubber
    4. $30 X-100
    6. $30 Stinger wet vac
    7. $10 better, longer hose for vac
    8. $3.50 thrust bearing
    9. $3 velvet
    10. $4 dish rack

On hand already:
    Alcohol, distilled water, drain pipe (for vac wand).

lazydawg58 likes this.
  20. PerfectVinylForever

PerfectVinylForever Forum Resident

"...$150 for what?" Perfect Vinyl Forever is a record cleaning service only. We do not sell cleaning solutions or equipment. Our commercial quality equipment is not feasible to sell direct to a consumer. The $150 I referenced was a generalized cost of trying our service. We offer our "PVF by Mail" services for people who live outside our immediate service area. You can engage our services by either going to Amazon and searching for "Perfect Vinyl Forever" (quotes included) or contact us through the website. There you will see six different packages to choose from, starting at $118.49 to clean 16 records with our Ultra Deep process. This includes three-way shipping costs and our purpose built mailer. The cost to do 8 records with our Ultra Deep process and 8 records with our Archival process is $142.49, three-way shipping included. The cost to 16 records with our Archival process is $166.49, three-way shipping included. We offer similar packages for 32 records. All records receive a new, top quality poly inner sleeve.

Once we receive an order, we ship out a mailer with 16 or 32 new inner sleeves and record protectors. You place your records in the new inner sleeves and nest them in the mailer, separating each record with our anti-static record protectors. You keep all of your original record packaging materials at home: record jacket, inner and outer sleeves, download cards, etc. Seal the mailer with the included tape strips, place the pre-paid return mailing label on the box then hand it to your postal worker. We take care of the rest.

Rodant Kapoor and Dan Steele like this.
  21. Leonthepro

What I get out if it is that they basically go through several steps for different types of contamination. A step for biological debris with enzyme cleaning, a step with alcohols for stubborn or molten vinyl or other materials etc. There is an ultrasonic and probably rinsing step as well so its not just 1 machine per say. Its a systematic way of cleaning off all types of contamination. Thats why you cant buy THE product and why its a valid offered service for some.

Rodant Kapoor likes this.
  22. No Static

No Static Gain Rider

There are customers who will benefit from this offer. It's just like any other type of service: offer something to someone who either hasn't the means to do this, or the time to fool with it, for a certain price they can afford and see what happens.

Most of the time I wash my car myself but sometimes I feel like having it detailed by a pro. Same theory. And I applaud anyone that's involved in our music hobby business-wise. The more the merrier.

23. Ports

Ports Forum Resident

I’m going to give this a try. I have a few old records from my school days in the 60’s 70’s that I can’t get to sound better with my spin clean. Crackle , dirt, whatever ( not scratches) I really love these recordings so I’ll give it a try. I’ll report back with an honest review. If they sound better great.

24. JackG

JackG Forum Resident

Steve, some of the packages are priced higher on Amazon than on your site, is it better to go direct to you?

25. Leonthepro

Do that. I suspect that since they are from your school days they might be a lost cause however. But let us know.