Record Cleaning Solutions???

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Darrin Crawford, Jan 19, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

Awesome, I think you will love it. When I got mine I requested to buy an extra wand an cleaning brush. My unit is black, but the extra wand is clear. I use the clear one for my rinse cycles.

2. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

I am testing AI #15 which is an enzyme combo cleaner. I'm not sure if it's a good idea to leave it soaking for 30 minutes because the instructions explicitly say not to leave it on for more than 5 minutes. I typically let it soak for 4-5 minutes. Then I vacuum, rinse, vac, rinse, vac, then air dry 10-15 minutes.

3. Darrin Crawford

Darrin Crawford Forum Resident Thread Starter

Not that I've heard or seen. Be careful not to use too much. I also have a DIY vacuum cleaning method that I use to suck up all the fluid so that nothing gets left behind.

I use this for my vacuum: http://www.homedepot.com/p/Stinger-2-5-gal-Wet-Dry-Vacuum-WD2025/100021998

This for a 3-D printed wand that fits on the mini shop vac: http://www.ebay.com/itm/151862624135

The wand was cheaper when I first bought it, but it works great.

If you do not have a vacuum, maybe be careful with the photoflo.[/QUOTE]
    Too funny!! I JUST picked up the exact same wet/dry vac a week ago. My MK III came in the mail just before that. I LOVE IT!!

Dr. Metal MD likes this.
  4. Dr. Metal MD

Dr. Metal MD Forum Resident

Too funny!! I JUST picked up the exact same wet/dry vac a week ago. My MK III came in the mail just before that. I LOVE IT!![/QUOTE]

Awesome! Glad to hear!

5. smartiepants

smartiepants Senior Member

Wow just wow! Spent this afternoon cleaning old and new records and its a joy to use, some of the transformations have been fantastic like getting new records! Using the 75/25 distilled water isopropanol mix with 5mg of ilfotol per litre mix works well but I find I was getting better results by cleaning them twice, clean rinse dry clean rinse dry & leave five mins was perfect, just several hundred more to do but loving it so far

Dr. Metal MD likes this.
  6. Purplefowler

Purplefowler Forum Resident

How much was it with shipping and how long did it take? I really want to upgrade my cleaning gear (using a 2 step knosti set up at the moment) and I really like the look of this, mostly as I don't have much space to store anything bigger

7. NewKidInTown

NewKidInTown Forum Resident

I've used Dawn Dishwashing Liquid and tap water on Goodwill finds in the past, but can't say I used the toilet bowl brush with it!

8. smartiepants

Just a tad under £99 about a third was postage and i was lucky I didn't get a customs sting this time he posted it Monday landed sat morning, nothing but praise for the service he was a pleasure to deal with

Purplefowler likes this.
  9. Purplefowler

Purplefowler Forum Resident

Might have to take a punt on this then. Just need to check my Hoover. Cheers for the info :)

10. Porkpie

Porkpie Forum Resident

What's the best available product in the UK for removing static from vinyl? I've picked up a load of 70s vinyl in a record fair and used Hama cleaning fluid and a lint free cloth and the brush that came with the cleaning fluid but still a lot of static can be heard. Is it even possible to remove it from albums 40 years old?

11. smartiepants

What makes you think it's static?

12. Porkpie

Porkpie Forum Resident

Isn't the crackling sound static?

13. blakep

blakep Senior Member

No problem leaving #15 on for longer-you just have to have enough fluid on to make sure that it is not drying on the record. And then rinse thoroughly-I am finding that two rinses, a couple of plays of the record and then one further rinse work really well.

Link below shows a couple of really extreme cases (water damage, mold, fused inner paper liners) about half way down the page; those records I let the #15 sit on for about 15 minutes. I actually ran them under lukewarm tap water just to rinse all the big crap off before I did that.

They play as essentially near mint records now.

http://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threads/audio-intelligent-vinyl-cleaning-solution-review.131754/page-3

patient_ot likes this.
  14. smartiepants

It's probably needs cleaning again, have you tried anything like a spin disc or discoantistat

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Knosti-Clea...=1454954306&sr=8-1-spell&keywords=Disco+antit

I have one and have had some great results, also tried the wood glue method for really bad LPs, plenty of info here and on the interweb but have now got a vacuum record cleaner that's the biz

15. Sckott

Sckott Hand Tighten Only.

My brew:
    Vodka 50%
    Water 25%
    Alcohol 25%

I use a VPI 16.

16. dianos

dianos Forum Resident

Also worth mentioning that some records can never get life back no matter which RCM is being used.

17. smartiepants

That's when you hit it with the wood glue, after that turn to drinking the 50% ingredient in Sckott's method they will sound fine!!

quicksilverbudie likes this.
  18. jimbutsu

jimbutsu WATCH YÖUR STEPPE

That's plenty interesting, but what do you clean records with?

19. Darrin Crawford

Darrin Crawford Forum Resident Thread Starter

[QUxmas
    E="Sckott, post: 13768172, member: 59"]My brew:
    Vodka 50%
    Water 25%
    Alcohol 25%

I use a VPI 16.[/QUOTE]
    Oh cmon its 1% vodka and you know it.
    And dont tell me you dont wring the cloth in your mouth.

20. ggergm

ggergm another spring another baseball season

Bumping this thread to give a shout-out for the Audio Intelligent Premium One-Step Formula No. 6. :righton:

I mentioned upthread I was going to try this. I also said I'm a skeptic when it comes to the difference between most cleaning fluids, beyond some are surfactant based and others use alcohol. In general, I see about as much difference between soapy LP cleaning fluids as I do different brands of laundry detergent, which is to say nearly zero.

Not the Audio Intelligent One-Step No. 6. It really deep cleans records. Whether it be a quick cleaning or a soaking of a dirty album, this stuff gets crap out of the grooves. It's not cheap but it works, which makes its cost reasonable. I've already gone through a quart in just over a month but then, I did a major culling of my record collection during that month, which results in a lot of album maintenance.

Good stuff, Maynard!

21. cdash99

cdash99 Senior Member

Are you using the new mixture with the old Discwasher brushes? That's what I'm looking for in a new fluid/solution. I have three/fours per week to listen to vinyl, and less to spend cleaning it.

I'll do a mass Spin-Clean every few months or so but am looking for a solution (no pun intended) to give a quick clean before listening to a new purchase. If relevant, 90% of my purchases are new and most of my listening is of albums I already own.

22. varyat

varyat Forum Resident

Keith Monk RCM is regarded as one of the best available. Their cleaning solution uses ethyl alcohol as the primary solvent.
    Vodka = ethyl alcohol.
    As an everyday cleaner on new and lightly soiled vinyl I use a 50/50 mix of ethyl alcohol ( Everclear filtered through a Zero Water filter ) and pure water with a splash of Kodak Photoflo.
    Works very well and is quite economical as well!
    ATB,
    Mark

23. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

That 3D Printed cleaning machine is pushing $200.00 with the vac and shipping...

24. cat9

cat9 Forum Resident

Well I finally got to using my MKIII. I am very impressed!
    Easy (even enjoyable) to use.....no issues with the label getting wet as some have stated.

The results are terrific. Nick's put together a pretty great product here.

smartiepants likes this.
  25. FunkyNut

FunkyNut Forum Resident

Yes, still use the D3 & D4 brushes. They've held up pretty well.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.