Record Club CDs-Good Product?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by stever, Mar 18, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. stever

stever Senior Member Thread Starter

I stayed away from record club/house LP pressings like the plague -- and still do. Are record club CDs also inferior pressings?

2. tim_neely

tim_neely Forum Hall Of Fame

Not necessarily.

Many times, they send the same versions that you get in the stores; they don't even have the "manufactured by Columbia House" or the "D" catalog number as on the BMG issues. I got my copy of Neil Young's Freedom from one of the clubs, and it was in every way identical to the store copy.

I've got hundreds of record-club CDs and have yet to encounter one that was decidedly inferior to a "store" version.

3. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

They should be no different from retail versions.

4. Joseph

Joseph Senior Member

Not in my experience.

Stereophile once compared them against regular releases and found no difference save the mention of the cd club on the packaging.

I knew someone who worked at the Cinram cd plant in Toronto. He confirmed that all discs were the same masters and pressing plant.

Of course there may be differences with Japanese/EU imports.

5. stereoptic

stereoptic Anaglyphic GORT Staff

ditto

6. stever

Great, thanx for the info, gentlemen!

7. rmos

rmos Forum Resident

Sometimes they forget to include the booklet. I've got two copies of the Grease Soundtrack Deluxe Edition from BMG ... neither one of them came with the booklet.

I must add though, except for this problem (and a lot of cracked cases!) :realmad: I've never had a problem with CDs that came from the record clubs.

8. Vivaldinization

Vivaldinization Active Member

All of the ones I have are fine, CD-quality wise (i.e. "Mutations" still has Diamond Bollocks, etc.).

They do occasionally change packaging around. Their version of Zappa's "Shut Up and Play Your Guitar" is in a jewel-case instead of a box (almost an improvement), and there're packaging issues reported on "Lather."

9. Evan L

Evan L Beatologist

I remember Columbia House used to press it's own records, apparently with master stampers.

CD's, however, are exactly identical, except for Columbia or BMG being stamped on them.

Evan

10. Larry Geller

Larry Geller Surround sound lunatic

The only diff is sometimes the packaging. Slip cases missing. Discs that should be digipaks in jewel boxes (to some this is an advantage).

11. Tjazz

Tjazz Breakfast at (a record store)

I"ve gotten CDs from BMG that have no "mfd by BMG" labels printed on them. They look just like the retail CDs. A couple of the Dylan SACDs I got from BMG were sealed with labels just like they had at regular retail stores.

Some box sets are without BMG markings too.

12. dcooper

dcooper New Member

Of course, there is the small issue of smaller artist royalties from the record clubs, but I won't go there...

13. ACK!

ACK! Senior Member

I've been with BMG for years and have never had an issue or a problem with their sound quality. :righton:

14. RDK

RDK Active Member

Never had a problem. Customer service is surprisingly good. Once, when they did ship the wrong disc, they quickly sent out a replacement, told me to keep the wrong one, and didn't charge me for either.

15. stereoptic

stereoptic Anaglyphic GORT Staff

Has BMG ever called any of you at home? I got a call last night from them and since I am such a good customer, they were offering me 9 (or was it 12, I forget) CDs for free if I buy 3 at full price. I would have to select my 3 right then. I declined. It would add up to about $70; it would turn out to be the same as buy 1, get 3 free, butr with a much larger cash outlay.

I always select "bill me later" whenever I order from them. You can pay the balance in installments, and they don't charge interest. They may forbid you from placing any future orders until you reduce your balance, though.

16. stever

I always wondered why the music clubs had to stamp their covers, record labels, dead wax, CD tray inserts, etc.

17. tomcat

tomcat Senior Member

I have no experience with record clubs, but I would wonder WHY those releases should sound worse than their regular counterparts. I guess a new mastering (be it better or worse) would be too expensive to justify a special release that (as what I understand) is cheaper than the regular CD. It just makes no sense. But what makes sense in the music industry anyway?

18. -Ben

-Ben Senior Member

Simple..so you don't go to a store saying: I lost my receipt... can I exchange this CD for a different one?

19. stever

Really? That's the reason? For LPs, too? God, that's an odd one.

20. Tjazz

Tjazz Breakfast at (a record store)

Hey, I do that all the time.

Tower has been pretty good to me. If I get something from BMG that doesn't have BMG labeling, I'm tempted to trade it at Tower for something I can't get thru BMG.

I remember the Aretha Franklin box set, it didn't have any BMG marking on it. So I traded it for another box set at Tower.

21. JohnG

JohnG PROG now in Dolby ATMOS!

I'm also a long time customer of both BMG and Columbia House. I even remember the BMG Video Club (that was something!).

Have always had a great experience.

These days my cds average out at $7.19 per.

22. Sgt. Pepper

Sgt. Pepper Member

There was an article in Stereophile, http://www.stereophile.com/musicrecordings/55/index.html that talked about a jitter problem with record club CDs. This was 1994 and might not be a problem anymore. I've never had any complaints with my club CDs, although I haven't compared them with store bought ones. The article is very interesting though.

23. lil.fred

lil.fred Señor Sock

I always understood the BMG club discs were the same pressings as the commercial issues. But now for the first time ever, I find I'm questioning it.

I have the BMG club issue of James Brown "The CD of JB" (first volume). I used to have the regular issue, and if I remember rightly, "I Got The Feeling" used to come to a rather abrupt end. Now it fades, on the club CD... Also, the general sound quality is poor.

Interesting?

24. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

I've done numerous comparison's between Record Club and Regular Editions...No difference:) Years ago, with LPs's and cassettes, MAJOR difference...Today we have the unfortunate branding of the Clubs insignia, address, etc...With BMG, on their House brands, they are Exactly as the Regular Editions...Same goes for Columbia House:)

25. -=Rudy=-

-=Rudy=- ♪♫♪♫♫♪♪♫♪♪ Staff

CDs don't bother me so much (except for the royalty issue), but LPs and reel tapes? I avoid 'em like the plague. I have a couple and they just sound flat-out strange. The CDs seem to sound pretty good, but I've never compared since I've never purchased two of the same title.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.