Record Store Day 2014 - Saturday 19th April (side 3)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Hawkman, Apr 19, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. coniferouspine

coniferouspine Forum Resident

I don't know a lot of details or names, but some vinyl mastering is definitely still going on at Capitol in L.A.. I know this because my friend's band (Los Angeles-based punk band on their own indie label) put out a 7" about eighteen months ago, with the same exact "Mastering By Capitol" in the runoff groove. I'll have to ask him for details but I remember him saying it was expensive (for him as an indie band) but worth it -- don't remember him saying anything about names or who it was. But it was in L.A. somewhere.

2. NapalmBrain

NapalmBrain Forum Resident

man we didn't even sell one mgmt, I have a feeling those are going to sit for awhile, oh and I'm a big liar it didn't have a download card. I don't know why I thought I saw one sorry

3. Haven't had a chance to play it, but can say the pressings look really nice - solid 180g vinyl and nice glossy surfaces. The slipcase is a bit flimsy but the 12" sleeves themselves are on good thick stock with accurate cover art reproduction. It also comes with a download card, but Fire dropped the ball on these as they're only 128k MP3's. They sound quite good for what they are, but still...

4. Scroller

Scroller Hair Metal, Smooth Jazz, New Age...it's all good

Cool. Thanks. I grabbed a copy of July. Hope it comes through!

5. mikemoon

mikemoon Forum Resident

Yes the Sam Cooke is likely a vinyl master cut from high res, it has some "analog" attributes for those with digititis.

6. KeithH

KeithH Success With Honor...then and now

I wouldn't have known except that I asked the store owner to see the deluxe CD/Blu-Ray copy of 2112 that was behind the counter (the fancy one with the comic book). He then asked, "Are you a Rush fan?". I told him I was, and he pointed me to the mystery 45.

ModernDayWarrior likes this.
  7. thebunk

thebunk Senior Member

As much of a fanboy as I am of RSD, I admit there are problems and I think perhaps it has grown so quick that the "volunteers" (thats right, volunteers) that started it are having a bit of an issue keeping there arms around it as it has grown so big in a short time.

That said, posts like your enrage me to be frank and are pure hyperbole. I know there are dealers who gouge and there are distribution issues which can cause it difficult/impossible to get an item but suggesting the GD set would go for $59.99 just boggles my mind. I saw it at both my stores for $39.99 or less CDN (exchange is $1 USD = approx. $1.1 CDN). Add on import tax/duties that someone absorbs and passes along and then the crazy shipping prices for both of my locals to ship to the near middle of nowhere AND to have to choose faster shipping to ensure things arrive before Good Friday, well I just don't know. I think a lot of posts like yours are akin to fear mongering in all honesty. I am glad you got your LP but I wish you really did not have to poised the well in the process.

8. mikemoon

mikemoon Forum Resident

If you pick up the new one, let me know what you think. Put it this way, the old version never made me want to grab and listen but right now I want to go home and spin the new version. It has better midrange, soundstage and warmth and I hate to use too much hyperbole. To me the improvement might be similar to say Californication, in that the recording isn't "audiophile" but it can still sound great if mastered well. At first I was skeptical about these releases but glad I picked them up.

As far as the mastering, it was either an article or this forum where it was mentioned that Greg Calbi "stated" his 16/44 master is what was used for the original vinyl but this has been a while. At worst, the new mastering is a 96/24 direct transfer of the original analog master tape. I picked up both titles and I never wanted the Congratulations lp because I figured the mastering was like the OS original...low res digital mastered vinyl.

9. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

PennyLanes, Thurenity and GetHappy!! like this.
  10. ChaosOfMemories

ChaosOfMemories Active Member

No - the original, according to mutual friends I have with the band themselves, was 16/44 CD-style major label transfer. This is either AAA or AAD (high resolution). Due to it looking like it was pressed at Record Industry (ie MOV), it may well be analogue>192/24. In any case, it sounds fantastic...

Yes - sounds better than the older reissue - same AAA but QRP vinyl. Only heard side 2 but really nice LP.

mikemoon likes this.
  11. ChaosOfMemories

ChaosOfMemories Active Member

The Everly Bros. "Roots" is also fantastic - seems like an Analogue Productions release....thick cardstock cover, beautiful flat and quiet vinyl. My copy of the beautiful curated Sun Records sampler is unfortunately more than a little warped - surprising given that its made by ORG and likely a Pallas (standard weight) pressing.

12. Tony Plachy

Tony Plachy Senior Member

Tom, I saw no evidence of gouging at any of the stores I went to, however, I was able to get the Grateful Dead LP at TTL at 12:30 PM (2.5 hours after they opened) and could not find it at ILS the first store I went to a 9 AM.

13. Clonesteak

Clonesteak Forum Resident

The Minus 5 set is awesome. I think it is my second favorite box set already. I also got the Cake box set and Have one record that has a big gouge in the side of it and affects playback on the first track and a half on side one. I wonder how the best route of action is to get a replacement?
    I got in line at 2:50. It was well worth it. I got the only Minus 5 box and one of 2 Cake box sets at the Corner Record Shop in Kalamazoo MI. Well worth the wait. Can't wait to go to work and tell my working buds about my fantastic treasures found on RSD 2014.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2014
  14. Obtuse1

Obtuse1 Forum Resident

Officially got everything on my list as of this morning. The one item I was unable to find locally was MGMT-Congratulations (odd, as I saw multiple of Oracular Spectacular...) Picked it up online at Vintage Vinyl http://www.vvinyl.com for list price (plus shipping).

They always seem to have good leftovers.

On edit: Looks like I may have snagged one of the last ones..."Congratulations" is now gone from the site.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2014
  15. AxC.

AxC. Forum Resident

btw. After making my first RSD record purchase, I've noticed something crazy. The record I bought, Garbage is selling for $30 or more. Is it normal for people to go crazy for RSD stuff? I thought the $15 I paid for a single was way too much already.

16. TommyTunes

TommyTunes Senior Member

It may boggle your mind but I paid $43 for Jorma, $37 for randy Newman and $50 for the Allman's and my friend paid $39.99 for Otis Redding. The store would have probably would have charged $59 for the Dead. Sure I could have gone somewhere else but once you spent 2 1/2 hours on line, there was probably zero chance getting anything by leaving and going to another place.
    I didn't poison the well, the industry did. A lot of the new stores are being opened by guys who think they will take advantage of the booming market and just as quickly as they are opening, once the market changes and it will, they will just a quickly close.
    The interest in vinyl by young people could have been the start of the revitalization of the music industry. However in trying to get the quick buck they lost sight out what they could have done. Records could be produced by at the $15 list price point for albums and $3 for 45's especially by current artists, on 140gram vinyl and it would have gone a long way to rebuild the industry.
    Decent tables are available in the $300 range. Give the kids a nice selection of records on a weekly basis and a few years and the market will slowly be established.
    But they simply don't learn.

Buda, John Brookbank, Jrr and 4 others like this.
  17. RelayerNJ

RelayerNJ Forum Resident

Yes. What's erking is that most of these releases would sit on shelves if it wasn't for RSD hype in the first place. Limited edition runs of high quality audiophile pressings can take years to go OOP. How long did it take for Sea Change of some of the MFSL Sinatra titles to go out?

18. Kevin j

Kevin j The 5th 99

i picked up the everly bros record on a whim. i LOVE it. so good.

PennyLanes and Vinyl_Blues like this.
  19. Tony Plachy

You are right, I need to do more to find out if my first pick record store will have what I want the most. I looked at the store's website were ILS listed what they ordered and TTL listed what they had and expected to get at the last moment. I should have tried to get an update from ILS.

20. Walt

Walt Forum Resident

I listened to side one of the first Minus 5 lp (then switched to the '91 REM set-wanted to compare it to the "import" I bought 20 years ago). I was super tired when I got home (2 1/2 hour drive). The Minus 5 set is a beaut! Possibly the best Yep Roc packaging. I plan to listen to it after visiting my family today. :)

Ka-Chunk Records (Annapolis, MD) got three copies of The Minus 5 set.

The folks in line with my friend and I were great- nice group of friendly folks. We all were self-aware of the absurdity of what we were doing. :)

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2014
    Clonesteak likes this.
  21. Tony Plachy

I have to disagree with you about TommyTunes post. I think he is just realistically stating what it is like out there on RSD. And I agree with him that if it becomes more of a disorganized crap shoot or the best stuff ends up on ebay at greatly inflated prices then people will not participate in RSD. I hope that does not happen. You seem to have inside information on how RSD works so if what RSD needs is more volunteers then send out the call and get more volunteers.

EasterEverywhere likes this.
  22. jimac51

jimac51 A mythical beast.

One observation based on a post in Part 2. forum member questioned,maybe sarcastically,about why not more 78s like the Beach Boys one from 2011.The two Blue Note titles of the first two Blue Note releases from 1939 from Universal were given the replica treatment but pressed as 12" 33s.I bought BN01,Meade Lux Lewis,at the outrageous price of $16(RSD mslp,not store gouging)for music that has shown up in countless reissues(albeit at least once in sad phony stereo from the Liberty days).The only reason to make this would be to make a replica 78maybe even putting the record in a flimsy 78 brown sleeve but housing it in a sturdy cardboard,where artwork could be used(photos of ads,catalogs,etc. like they did with their sleeves back with the 1985 relaunch.And at $16 for two tracks,would it have hurt to bring back the BlueNote round label poster that was also used on some of the 1985 releases?I suspect if BlueNote was still under EMI that could have happened,but Universal didn't.As such,I didn't need to blow another $16 for the Albert Ammons,BN02.Outside of the vinyl reissues of classic standard LPs,BlueNote/UMe hasn't shown that not too much else is coming out in physical product memorabilia for the 75th anniversary of the most important jazz label ever.

EasterEverywhere likes this.
  23. Hawkman

Hawkman Supercar Gort Staff Thread Starter

Without mentioning names or quoting posts, let's stop the bickering about whether or not lining up for records in the wee hours is mentally stable or not. If you feel you must, take it to PM. I've already deleted a number of posts.

Let's enjoy the discussion of Record Store Day and our various hauls without the name calling. Thank you in advance for your co-operation and for allowing the other Gorts and me the opportunity to spend a nice Sunday reading and discussing records and NOT closing threads to clean them up and giving people time off.

Also, if you responded to one of the argumentative posts before seeing this, please be the bigger person and go back and delete it. Thanks.

(Oh...and if any of you have an extra Devo at Max's that you would care to unload at a non-exorbitant price, PM me. :)

Last edited: Apr 20, 2014
  24. mcenters

mcenters Forum Resident

The Only thing I picked up yesterday was the mono re-issue of Otis Redding's "Pain in my Heart." Im happy with it, sounded really good.

Has anyone compared this to an Original? If so, thoughts?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.