Record Store Day 2015

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by joe1320, Jan 19, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. EasterEverywhere

EasterEverywhere Forum Resident

Never was a Springsteen fan,but it seemed like nothing short of a cash grab that Sony would have put out these reissues.Original pressings from the 70s and 80s are still quite common.Has anyone done an A to B comparison between the new issues,and original pressings?

Also,I've always been a fan of The Shoes.Does this new album have any unreleased material?

2. ptijerm

ptijerm Forum Resident

Consider yourself lucky that the guy didn't piledrive or bodyslam you in the middle of the record store ;)

3. cgoodwin22

cgoodwin22 Senior Member

Good Lord...i take it you don't have a budget.

Vinyl_Blues, Guy E, K. Jones and 2 others like this.
  4. Victor/Victrola

Victor/Victrola Makng shure its write

I found everything on my list and got a couple extras too. There's two record shops in my area, one is just around the corner from the other. Store A opened at 9:00, I was #8 in line (I arrived at a little before 8:00). They allowed only five people to shop at a time, and each person could only buy five RSD things (limited to one copy each). After I got my initial five there, I went to Store B which opened at 10:00 and allowed you to buy as many titles as you wanted, but only one copy of each title. There, I bought the majority of my list even though their prices were higher than Store A. I went back to Store A to get a few high-priced things in order to save a little dough. Here's the list:

The free RSD sampler CD that everyone in line in front of me passed up. I guess CDs are the red-headed stepchild of RSD now, seeing as how they even had a cassette designed to look like a home taping for sale but zero official CDs this year at either store.

12":
    Temples - Mesmerize live
    Sloan - Alternatives
    The Zombies - RIP
    The Decemberists - Picaresque
    Jethro Tull - Live at Carnegie Hall 1970
    Tomorrow - s/t (I have a very old but excellent quality domestic stereo vinyl copy of this but I wanted to hear the mono version since this album is a real classic in my book)
    The Gods - Genesis
    Various Artists - Sun Records Vol 2
    Doc & Merle Watson - Ballads from Deep Gap (This was my #1 want and had sold out at Store A - much to my surprise. None of the seven people in front of me looked like a Doc Watson fan. The guy running the line at Store A claimed they had a copy. Luckily, I found it at Store B.)
    Chet Atkins - My Brother Sings
    Nektar - Time Machine (not an RSD release, but was 50% off and sealed, so I couldn't resist)

10":
    Miles Davis - The Prestige box set Vol 2 (Vol 1 was an impulse buy last RSD/Black Friday and has become one of my favorite RSD purchases. This was also about $10 cheaper at Store A)
    Foo Fighters - Songs from the Laundry Room
    The Animals - mono ep (this was a last-minute purchase, not on my original list of wants)

7":
    Charlie Parr - Over The Red Cedar (this was not on my list of wants, but it was a freebie)
    Emitt Rhodes - How Can You Mend A Broken Heart (my #2 want and I am totally stoked to read on the back of the jacket that Emitt is planning to release a new album this Fall)
    Supergrass - Sofa (of my Lethargy)
    Ben Lee - Big Love (I didn't intend on buying this, but it was in my bag when I got home. I guess I picked it up as a 'maybe' and forgot I had it in my hands)
    Freedy Johnston/Death Cab for Cutie - Bad Reputation split single
    Syd Barrett/REM - Dark Globe split single
    Gram Parsons/Lemonheads - Brass Buttons split single (prompting my wife to point at the brown glob in the pink vinyl and commenting that it looked a bit .... strange.)
    The three Jeff Beck singles - Love is Blue, Hi-Ho Silver Lining, and Tally Man/Rock My Plimsoul
    The three Kinks EPs - Kinksize Sessions, Kinksize Hits and You Really Got Me live
    Procol Harum - Homburg

I also picked up the Bowie - Changes 7" pic disc and the 7" by Twenty One Pilots shaped like Ohio on red vinyl as presents for a friend of mine who collects such things.

All in all I spent around $500 which is my total music buying budget for the year. Thank God all my relatives know to give me Amazon gift certificates!

Some observations. The Dylan Basement Tapes were selling like a house on fire. I passed on it because I'm not a Dylan fan (I know, blasphemous, right?) but all of the dozens of copies of the Bruce Springsteen reissues were not going home with anybody. Store A had several copies of the Elvis 78 but none at Store B. I also passed on that one because I have no hi-fi way of playing a 78. I only have two crank Victrolas and a 1958 Webcor (which seems to have a tracking force of about 10 grams) and I'm not about to play a $20 record on any of those machines. Besides, I'm not a big Elvis fan either (more blasphemy? Good Lord!) Three of the seven people in front of me at Store A purchased a copy of the Lego picture disc. I did not find any copies of the elusive Paul McCartney record although Store A's location in Kansas City had one hidden in the regular Paul McCartney section (according to Facebook).

I thought it was a very good RSD this year and hopefully I can cut down on other expenses in order to build up a budget to participate in Black Friday come November.

Jack and apple-richard like this.
  5. Joefarrell

Joefarrell Forum Resident

I noticed the newest Charles Lloyd - Wild Man Dance or something like that - on a double LP so picked it up for about $25. Also got Doors mono. The Lloydvsounds nice and I was pleased to see mastered by Bernie Grundman. I love Strange Days so could not resist especially after most comments positive here. StevevReich is tempting but I have ECM LP and CD.

6. Wade Burrow

Wade Burrow Bound to get lucky

Spinning The Zombies R.I.P. It sounds really good to me. A nice punchy open sound on the first few tracks, glad I picked this one up.

Clanceman and ad180 like this.
  7. EasterEverywhere

EasterEverywhere Forum Resident

It has been known to happen on RSD.I expect to see a news story soon about somebody getting killed over a record in a store on RSD.

MrRom92, Dudley Morris and ptijerm like this.
  8. Victor/Victrola

Victor/Victrola Makng shure its write

Ah, the problems of living in the USA. I don't recall seeing Biffy Clyro on the list of things available on this side of the Atlantic. I would have bought it if it had been offered over here.

9. apple-richard

apple-richard *Overnight Sensation*

Well I do have one which means I pay my bills and the rest is Dave screw off money. :)

10. Danby Delight

Danby Delight Forum Resident

Did anyone think an album of pop covers by a session musician calling himself Lord Sitar WASN'T a novelty?

NaturalD, aoxomoxoa and Dudley Morris like this.
  11. KeithH

KeithH Success With Honor...then and now

It's the authentic autograph.

12. aoxomoxoa

aoxomoxoa I'm an ear sitting in the sky

And the ltd pink vinyl. I would love to have one, but not for $100.

13. ridernyc

ridernyc Forum Resident

He already somehow managed to declare a list of 500 records "boring" so not sure why he is still commenting.

EasterEverywhere likes this.
  14. Hawkman

Hawkman Supercar Gort Staff

To be honest, I don't speak from a 'holier than thou' position. I've mocked other people's choices, too. Still do. And I've had my choices mocked. Still do. But the point that I was trying to make is that we can't really question what or how much of a certain product is in the bins on Record Store Day based just on our personal tastes. It's 'something for almost everybody' and based on the business that I saw being conducted at Scotti's in Summit at 3 P.M., it was working.

MrRom92 and Paully like this.
  15. eddiel

eddiel Senior Member

One store owner I spoke to after RSD 2013 said he found an ebay auction for one item and the photo was actually taken inside his store while the lp was still on the shelf. My guess is the guy took the photo and listed it with his ebay app.

16. ad180

ad180 Forum Resident

17. KeithH

The River was $45? The store I went to yesterday had it for $25 like all the other Springsteen LPs. Maybe in a rush to get things on the shelves, they didn't realize it was a double-LP.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2015
    mooseman likes this.
  18. Jgirar01

Jgirar01 Forum Resident

I am not sure the 1000 is accurate, one guy had 5 on eBay and today someone had 10 for sale at 109.99. Sold 5 right away so I finally bought one but how do they get so many?

19. ginchopolis

ginchopolis Forum Resident

This is probably the wrong comment, but - if this was an indie release, it would be a bit cooler IMO. 3,000 units from a major that tends to glut the market at a time when they could have done a straight reissue at any other time of the year if people really wanted a re-press of this. Same with The Doors - Strange Days mono. If it's a solid thing, why take up 10,000 units for stores to buy for a one day thing?

I'm picking nits, but, I think this is the point RSD is missing. If anything, why aren't the majors doing them throughout the year?

Oh, I forgot, the one time billing/one way sales...

EasterEverywhere and mooseman like this.
  20. KeithH

You screw off with the best of 'em. :)

Jack likes this.
  21. KeithH

That's a neat edition. No doubt the authentic autograph drives up the price. I may pick up the 130- or 180-gram version. Based on some comments here, I guess I should get the 130-gram version.

22. Rocketdog

Rocketdog Senior Member

I live within 20 to 30 minutes of five of them. Unfortunately, I would be unable to visit any of them today. The good news, though, is that Bullmoose makes all of thier leftover RSD stock available for sale online on Monday, and they will ship it to you. If they have what you are seeking in that many of thier locations, chances are they will still have a decent amount of copies left for tomorrow.

Just out of curiosity, what are you looking for?

23. MrRom92

MrRom92 Forum Supermodel

I guarantee you this would have happened at my store if there wasn't a ticketing system for that one record. Smart move.

EasterEverywhere likes this.
  24. Manalishi

Manalishi With the 2-pronged crown

Davidmk5 and Michael Ries like this.
  25. Marmont514

Marmont514 Active Member

Was working yesterday, so couldn't make it out. Went out today in Montreal and picked up:

White Stripes - Get Behind me Satan

Steve Reich MUSIC FOR 18 MUSICIANS

Herbie Hancock - Maiden Voyage (green vinyl)

Jazzman Records - Party After Hours 10"

Wonderland Philharmonic - Shogun Assasin OST

Metallica - No Life Til Leather cassette

As is the case every year, more titles come in progressively over the next few weeks in Canada. Surprised at the Get Behind Me Satan scalping on eBay, that title is still widely available in Montreal (52$), I saw maybe 20 copies at different stores. Beatnik still has the Metallica cassette (15$).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.