Record Store Day 2016 Release Information RSD16

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Rkellner, Feb 2, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cwd

cwd Forum Resident

How hot was the Lush box? As in did a lot of them move fast?

Daniel Thomas likes this.
  2. spewey

spewey Senior Member

I'd really like to know how this sounds....I passed on it today....but I might be convinced to go looking for it next week if it's not awful.

3. Tom B

Tom B Forum Resident

Those were the three I got and I couldn't be happier.

ShawnX likes this.
  4. chacha

chacha Forum Resident In Memoriam

I hope those sound better than the eps from awhile ago which had terrible sound.

5. TonyCzar

TonyCzar Forum Resident

A live in-studio performance at EL Studios, 2014 or 2015.

pghmusiclover likes this.
  6. It sounds great, heard the whole thing.

POGunter, djost and spewey like this.
  7. anodyne

anodyne Forum Resident

CB in the dead wax.

8. troyvod

troyvod Forum Resident

i hit a couple of my local stores this morning and was stunned by how much RSD stock was left, one store said they only sold a handful of the RSD releases they ordered. Maybe RSD has jumped the shark.

9. Sounds really good.

POGunter and spewey like this.
  10. Victor/Victrola

Victor/Victrola Makng shure its write

I was in line at about 8:10 and the store (Vinyl Renaissance in Columbia, MO) was due to open at 9:00. Everyone in line at 9:00 would be given a number and they would let five people in the store at once. You were limited to five RSD items and only one copy of each. You could buy as much other non-RSD stuff as you wanted, and they were running good specials including 50% off new clearance titles. I was number 9 in the queue, but when some guy heard the limit of only one copy of each title, he left and went around the corner to the other record store, Slackers (which I hit later) and so then I was number 8 in line. The line was friendly, some young woman even went down to the donut shop and brought back a dozen. She shared them with her friends and then passed out the rest of them to anybody who wanted one. When I left after my purchases at about 9:25, there were about 25 more people waiting in line to get in.

Here's what I got at Vinyl Renaissance:
    Freebies:
    Dine Alone RSD Sampler CD
    I Still Buy Records Sampler CD
    UMG Records Sampler CD
    CD single by Hundred Hounded
    OMRG Zine with the Bob Mould live CD (really stoked about this one!)
    Ben Harper & The Innocent Criminals - Shine (7" vinyl single)

RSD Titles:
    MEW - And The Glass Handed Kites $28 (my #1 want)
    Matthew Sweet - Goodfriend $30
    VA - Nuggets: Hallucinations $32
    Tom Petty - Kiss My Amps Vol 2 $20
    Fleetwood Mac - Tusk Alternate Versions $35 (my #2 want)

Non RSD Titles - 50% off Clearance:
    The Decemberists - Florasongs 10" $9
    Sneakers - 10" $8.50
    A 12" single by Todd Rundgren, Emil Nikolaisen and Hans-Peter Lindstrom in a plain white cardboard sleeve $6
    Genesis - Trespass $15
    Rhett Miller - The Traveler $9.50

I then went down around the corner to Slackers who also opened at 9:00 and had no restrictions on any purchases or limit on how many people could come into the store. They did direct everyone to the end of the counter and to make your way up towards the register, so it was also very civilized. Here's what I got there:

John Coltrane - The Roulette Sides 10" $15
    VA - The Other Side Of Sun Vol 3 $28
    Idle Race - s/t $22
    Jethro Tull - Too Old To Rock n Roll $25
    Albert Hammond Jr - Yours To Keep $20
    Emmylou Harris - Wrecking Ball $45

Singles:
    Death Cab For Cutie - Tractor Rape Chain $10
    Bee Gees/Faith No More - I Started A Joke (Side by Side) $9
    David Bowie - TVC15 pic disc $16
    Kinks ep 7" $13
    Talking Heads/Echosmith - This Must Be The Place (Side by Side) $9
    Muse - Reapers pic disc $10
    Warren Zevon/Falmin Groovies - Warewolves of London (Side by Side) $11

After that, I went back to Vinyl Renaissance because by that time, they had removed all purchasing restrictions. However, I didn't buy anything else although I was tempted by the CCR box. But at $150, I thought I should pass.

After that, my wife and I drove around town to kill time before lunch. I noticed an Estate Sale sign in a neighborhood we were interested in seeing, so we decided to drop in just to see the house. Well, wouldn't you know, they had several boxes of records! I picked up 20 classical albums for $10 total. These are mostly from the late 50's and 60's. About 8 of them are Columbia Masterworks (including two that I think are from the 40's), a couple RCA Red Seal monos, an Angel from England, a Deutsche Grammophon from Germany, a couple of Mercury Living Presence, Vox, Nonsuch, Decca and Renaissance and the most unusual one, a record called "Voices Of The Night: The Calls of 34 Frogs and Toads of the United States and Canada". It's on the Cornell University Records label and pressed on strawberry red vinyl. Sweet!

After lunch, we happened upon another Estate Sale and I picked up the following:
    A couple of CD audio books for $3 each
    The Complete Stax Volt Singles 1959-1968 - 9 CD box set for $3 (!!)
    Roy Orbison - King of Hearts CD $2
    Bonnie Raitt - Takin' My Time CD $2 (however, there was no CD in the jewel box - my mistake for not checking before I bought it)
    vinyl - $1 each - all of these except for the Neil Diamond look like they may have been played once or twice:
    Rabbitt - Boys Will Be Boys
    Gordon Lightfoot - If You Could Read My Mind
    Leah Kunkel - s/t
    Loudon Wainwright III - Album III
    David Ackles - American Gothic
    Neil Diamond - Double Gold
    Carole King - Simple Things
    VA - The Core of Rock (sampler featuring Richie Havens, Tim Hardin, The Enemies, Janis Ian, The Blues Project and Van Dyke Parks)

Not a bad haul for the day, but I didn't find these RDS items that were on my list:
    Todd Rundgren & Utopia - Disco Jets
    Pinback - Blue Screen Life
    Blitzen Trapper - Field Rexx
    Mudcrutch - Trailer single
    Sheryl Crow/Brandy Clark Side by Side single

11. cwd

cwd Forum Resident

First time I ever heard anything like this...nudge, nudge, wink, wink

thebunk likes this.
  12. spewey

spewey Senior Member

Awesome....fingers crossed that it's still there next week! :D

Mazzy likes this.
  13. Silver Plattersvin Seattle was packed and so was Easy Street later in the day, selling out of a ton but there are always certain titles that just sit there for weeks months.

14. Guitarded

Guitarded Forum Resident

Local shop was mobbed...
    and much of what I wanted...
    you know the story.

I came home with The Dead, Oscar Peterson, Emmylou Harris, Son Volt, The Quartet, Bill Evans...

and GWAR!

footlooseman likes this.
  15. zakyfarms

zakyfarms White cane lying in a gutter in the lane.

If anyone received the live Bob Mould freebie CD who's not really interested in him, I'd sure be glad to take it off your hands...

Dan likes this.
  16. Gardo

Gardo Audio Epistemologist

Yep. I can see why they left "O My Soul"
    off the CD. That said, it's great to have it here. It's the only well-recorded version of Big Star 2.0 doing one the essential tracks from the canon, one Alex always slagged when asked about it (the lyrics, he said, were just thrown together and didn't mean anything--which is an odd complaint coming from the author of "Rock Hard" IMO). The performance is really rough at times but there are also some magic moments where it all lurches into gear.

17. radickeyfan

radickeyfan Forum Resident

Not in the US, all 4 stores I was at today, told me they were breaking one-day sales records or they were having the biggest RSD day ever.

Grootna likes this.
  18. Chris Bernhardt

Chris Bernhardt Forum Resident

Chicago was extremly busy . The worst I've seen it.

oddsbodkins likes this.
  19. POGunter

POGunter Forum Resident

So far Patti Smith sounds and looks good. A quality effort. Vinyl is flat and well pressed. Sound mix is pretty good. Drums kick without overpowering. Patti's voice has an aged roughness that serves the music well. Sounds good when the volume goes up. Nothing gets lost in the mix. Got to break to catch Courtney Barnett on the the Coachella stream B4 side 3&4. Busy night.

Daniel Thomas, gr8trak and spewey like this.
  20. Gaslight

Gaslight ⎧⚍⎫⚑

You should put a few of them up for sale, on this forum. Start them at $250 each.

Jrr and jamesmaya like this.
  21. cwd

cwd Forum Resident

In Nashville and \\\Grimeys

Thanks and cool. A lady was at Grimeys taking pics, was apparently involved in the recording of the show for the album and was doing some publicity, reminded me I had been originally thinking about this-got her autograph on my copy.

POGunter likes this.
  22. cwd

cwd Forum Resident

Anybody play any Lush yet?

23. jamesmaya

jamesmaya Senior Member

:thumbsup: Even at $250 the Monkees box would still be a better deal than the CCR box, pound for pound.

radickeyfan likes this.
  24. Yeah you get way more studio musicians

jamesmaya likes this.
  25. I suppose I need not comment on the irony of RSD releases by Conflict.

Lost In The Flood and giantleech like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.