Record Store Day 2017

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by joe1320, Feb 10, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mrtn77

Mrtn77 Forum Resident

The Ravi Shankar album, "Portrait of a Genius", is interesting in that half of it isn't the traditional raga for solo sitar and tablas but short, non-improvised compositions with multiple instruments (lots of flute !). (The obligatory raga does show up on side 2, however. Without the flute.)
    Great idea for a Record Store Day release.

2. SoporJoe

SoporJoe Forum Resident

RSD gets funnier each year. What a scam.

Baidur and Dan33185 like this.
  3. RandelPink

RandelPink The camel wore a nightie

What do you mean by that? Just curious

superstar19 likes this.
  4. TheSeldomSeenKid

TheSeldomSeenKid Forum Resident

Same for me, but would like to know where it is Pressed and who is doing the Mastering.

David P. Hill likes this.
  5. TonyCzar

TonyCzar Forum Resident

Yeah, seems like a minor thing, but that watermark is way too intrusive. So much for the old joys of browsing album covers.

turnersmemo and Lethrus like this.
  6. Munros1969

Munros1969 Forum Resident

Same here. Surprised to be completely non-plussed by what’s on offer here. The April selection was great.

7. Pats Radio

Pats Radio A Doors Enthusiast

Bruce Botnick.

8. nodeerforamonth

nodeerforamonth Consistently misunderstood

Record Store Day was last April. There's another thread open for the Black Friday Record Store day.

Lost In The Flood likes this.
  9. steveharris

steveharris Senior Member

It may not be all that bad especially for other people,I was just being grumpy!
    I always end up finding one special record at least.If not this year it`s okay.

10. B. Bu Po

B. Bu Po Senior Member

11. Pats Radio

Pats Radio A Doors Enthusiast

Any list with the Doors on it can’t be bad.

Tjazz, marklamb and TheSeldomSeenKid like this.
  12. Kat Records

Kat Records Forum Resident

Pressing should be at RTI, as previous RSD releases of The Doors

TheSeldomSeenKid likes this.
  13. J_D__

J_D__ Senior Member

Seems like The Doors always have something for RSD.

jdrueke likes this.
  14. Laibach

Laibach Forum Resident

My choices thus far: Minus 5, Flesthtones, Mike Watt and Son Volt.

15. eddiel

eddiel Senior Member

Yeah that's what I said last time and then I went to the store on RSD and bought stuff I didn't want! So basically, you should still stay home on the day just in case :)

16. cwd

cwd Forum Resident

Thanks so much!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

GentleSenator likes this.
  17. nodeerforamonth

nodeerforamonth Consistently misunderstood

18. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler Personal Survival Daily Record-Breaker

Oh after my first RSD experience, I'm definitely not wasting any more of my previous time for that even. First and last for me.

19. eddiel

eddiel Senior Member

I decided to stop going early, mostly because I don't want to deal with the crowds, getting old!, and I realised I actually don't need a lot of the stuff I think I need. lol. I stick to stuff that hasn't been available before.

Thing is, if I wanted to, I could just ask my friend to get me some of these releases. If it's not ultra limited and it's coming into Canada, I can probably get it with just an email. I haven't had to since my list is usually very small and not focused on the more in demand stuff.

Which one was your first?

20. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler Personal Survival Daily Record-Breaker

The one from 6 months ago. Called a bunch of stores because I wanted the Elton John release which was tricky because of the + sign being added to the title which was the only way to differentiate it from the regular release. It was marketed everywhere as a 2xLP release.

Finally found a place. Woke up early, stood in line in the freezing cold for 2h, got in and found the only EJ album... which was a single LP. I ended up driving around town to all sorts of record stores and gave up after 4h of this.

RSD never mentioned anything about a single-LP version missing all the fun stuff (unreleased live versions) and cake to find out afterwards that no copies of this album were shipped anywhere in Canada.

Wasted a half-day trying to find something which wasn't in the country due to how poorly managed the RSD event is. And again, no communication whatsoever about the single-LP version existing and being the only version available for RSD.

I swore it off after that fiasco and found it on eBay for 10 dollars more than it had sold in US stores. Got it after a couple of clicks on the mouse and vowed never to allow this event to rob me of precious downtime ever again. Yes, I'm still quite bitter.

Dan33185 likes this.
  21. John Bliss

John Bliss Forum Resident

I'm wanting the Sundays to reissue the first album. Static and Silence is good, but not as good as the first one. S&S might be the only one interesting for me.
    I like Bill Hicks, but I don't think I need that on vinyl.

22. cwd

cwd Forum Resident

When BlackFridayRecordStoreDayNovember2017 comes,
    I'll stand all night by the door,
    And wait for the grouchy record store clerks
    To take my all my hard-earned money once more...

23. 500Homeruns

500Homeruns Peaceful Punk

I won't be buying anything this go around. Nothing really moves me (Not complaining).
    For me, the perfect type of RSD release is the kind like Jason Isbell previously did. An album of covers, recorded very well, excellent sound and only available on vinyl. The "covers" part isn't really necessary, but they were recordings that were never available anywhere else previously (or since). Anywhere.
    That's the kind of product that I can get excited about (and get off my butt to wait in line for). :winkgrin:

turnersmemo likes this.
  24. James Bennett

James Bennett Forum Resident

Tears are welling up in my eyes ...

cwd likes this.
  25. RobCos02330

RobCos02330 Forum Resident

How pathetic am I? I was trying from a hospital bed, post surgery, to get ahold of the mono Basement Tapes that Garth Hudson released(got it), Neko Case “Fox” (didn’t), and a couple other titles. I had friends looking in stores for me and reporting back. I also hopped online the next morning at Ameoba. Nurses and doctors: “What’s record store day?”

Jimijam likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.