Record Store Day 2017

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by joe1320, Feb 10, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sadcafe

Sadcafe In the kingdom of the deaf, one eared man is King

My list growing by the day:
    Rush
    Procol Harum
    Neil Young
    Arthur Brown
    Yes
    Vangelis
    Springsteen
    Bowie
    Newman
    Shame most of these are unlikely to be in my local store!!!!

2. mogambotek

mogambotek Forum Resident

So the Iggy Pop live at Royal Albert Hall is now an RSD exclusive?? Even though I pre-ordered on Amazon UK (where it now no longer exists) several months ago? Since I am nowhere near thousands of miles of a store participating in RSD, that means I can no longer buy this without paying exorbitant prices?

That sucks!

pghmusiclover likes this.
  3. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

OK Blackstar is a bad example because it eventually sold out, but the point really is that they announced it as limited to 5000 copies worldwide and then obviously ended up printing a lot more than that. Then suddenly it was just a "limited edition". Just the fact that they announced a Barnes & Noble edition makes that clear - Barnes & Noble had 640 retail stores in 2016, so even if each store got only 4 copies that would be over 2500 not including online sales.

Like I said, Blackstar is a bad example, but the point is that you might want to take with a grain of salt anything the Bowie folks say about numbers of copies pressed.

4. Jim B.

Jim B. Senior Member

Perhaps what they meant was that there would be no Who release so fans would be happy they wouldn't have to pay a fortune for some tacky collectable ;)

Noise Annoys, e.s. and superstar19 like this.
  5. Christopher B

Christopher B Forum Resident

Im interested in

Procol Harum
    Turtles
    Nilsson

6. Grow Fins

Grow Fins ...and leave you laaaaand-lubbing women alone

Artwork aside (which I don't mind), you'd have to say the Bill Evans releases are one of the triumphs of RSD. In either case, it's an album that has never been released, and which has not been reissued on vinyl since. That makes for great subject matter and huge collectibility (as indicated by the big money that Some Other Time commands on the secondary market). In other words, the kind of RSD release that is worth getting out of bed for.

Question is whether my record store will actually be able to get one for me! They do take orders, but you never know what they end up getting on the day itself.

Well, I spoke to my record store about the AiC 2x7" after all. Not quite sure what we are getting, however. The US site shows the double 7", the Dutch site mentions a single 12" with just Get Born Again/Died, while my retailer's list mentioned just a single 7" with the latter two tracks. Well confused now, but if it ends up being the double, I'll probably end up getting it (provided they get them of course).

I definitely should pick up Jar or Flies (possibly my favorite of theirs), but I haven't seen one for ages - is it still in press?

7. RichC

RichC Forum Resident

As someone who hunted in vain for that Bowie, I can assure you that every B&N did not get anywhere CLOSE to 4 copies.
    I would bet B&N got a grand total of 650 copies for its 640 stores....

ted321 likes this.
  8. jmobrien68

jmobrien68 Forum Resident

Looking to grab the offerings from...
    Alice In Chains
    Cheap Trick
    Magpie Salute
    Peter Tosh
    Neil Young

9. RichC

RichC Forum Resident

Sealed copies on Discogs for $20-ish... Before shipping tho.
    Alice In Chains - Jar Of Flies / Sap

10. Grow Fins

Grow Fins ...and leave you laaaaand-lubbing women alone

Thanks @RichC! Yes, it's in my follow list on Discogs, but postage tends to make it a tad pricier than I'd prefer. One that I should have picked up when it was in stores over here, but the artwork put me off initially, before hearing what a good pressing it is (the cover sadly appears to be the CD art blown up to LP size - not something to make you whip out your wallet for an album you own already).

11. nodeerforamonth

nodeerforamonth Consistently misunderstood

Wait a couple months. You'll be able to get it for list, plus postage.

Don't forget about the "Heavy Liquid" 2xlp.

mogambotek and pghmusiclover like this.
  12. jimod99

jimod99 Daddy or chips?

Fear not, a couple of years ago the LCD Soundsystem box was among the "must haves". I was living in Switzerland at the time and there was no chance of getting a copy, I waited a few months and it showed up on Amazon, and not even from a third party seller, and picked it up the, it wasn't even at an inflated price, I think I paid $60 for it, which wasn't bad considering its a 5lp set.

mogambotek and pghmusiclover like this.
  13. ridernyc

ridernyc Forum Resident

I doubt it will even be a couple of months. The live albums seem to not be all that hard to find ever. It will probably on sale at Bull Moose or one of the webstores sometime the week of RSD.

I think the days of instant sell outs and hard to find items are mostly behind us. Yes there will still be hard to find items, but I don't think it will ever be like 2015 again. I think that year it peaked flippers got burned, stores got sick of the massive hype, and they scaled things back a bit in 2016. This is the second year now where it seems to be no real ultra hyped must have flippers item.

That Brand New "Deja Entendu" album brought out the flippers in droves they were camping our for over 24 hours for it, one pair of flippers that year brought about 6 friends to get in line with them, people who were obviously not your normal record buyers and at least here they all got burned. None of these people were there last year, and the line was tiny at opening compared to previous years were there were 300 people in line for 4 blocks. I think 2015 is the year we will look back on when the mega hype died. Stores don't want items so limited they are having fights in parking lots overnight, they don't want to piss off the regulars, and the flippers have learned it's not easy money anymore. I know I even though I enjoyed it had been dreading it a bit the past two years. This year I'm excited again, the line will be shorter, I have no doubt my 3-4 haves will be easy for me to get...

Last year none of the flippers showed up at Park Ave, the line was like 1/4th the length it had been previous years.

Also notice how little attention it gets on here now. In years past we would be on part 3-4 of this thread by now.

marc with a c likes this.
  14. ted321

ted321 Forum Resident

I got the only one my local B&N got. And that was on the Saturday..day after release. I immediately opened and played it. Wish I keep it sealed!

15. dkswaff

dkswaff Forum Resident

I'm quite sure it's been covered but I just found out Bruce at Hammersmith is a release. IMHO the greatest concert performance by anyone ever.

16. superstar19

superstar19 Authentic By Nature

It's a great show, but IMO, not even Bruce's greatest concert performance (I'm partial to Darkness shows, the 3/77 Boston shows, even earlier shows on the BTR tour).

17. e.s.

e.s. Forum Resident

My (probably vain) hope remains that one day they'll do a French EPs box set. Those particular sleeves are little works of art, way better than anything in the four singles boxes that came for the band's 50th anniversary.

turnersmemo likes this.
  18. I love these black and white covers..

Yayastone and Grow Fins like this.
  19. Jim B.

Jim B. Senior Member

Yeah, the generic sleeves were a waste of time. Why not use foreign picture sleeves where they existed.

e.s. likes this.
  20. dkswaff

dkswaff Forum Resident

My favorite thing is that with all the buildup about this great rock show and absolute energy show, he had the balls to open with Thunder Road acoustic. So Bruce!

21. ridernyc

ridernyc Forum Resident

The price for Superchunks 3xlp Cup Of Sand is on Bull Moose.

$31

Was worried about the price on that one but now I can rest easy. Looks like I should be able to get my must buys plus a bunch more for under $200 easily.

Still wondering when "my argument will be crushed" once we see how overpriced everything is.

aseriesofsneaks likes this.
  22. ridernyc

ridernyc Forum Resident

Hell I'm having trouble finding LPs that are over $20 this year. Most of the singles posted so far are $7.

troggy likes this.
  23. SoundAdvice

SoundAdvice Senior Member

Not even the best Bruce show in London that year. A priceless audio and video document that was well recorded. 12/31/75 is a better official archive release from that year....though still basically download only.

johnnypaddock and superstar19 like this.
  24. Mister President

Mister President Forum Resident

It was on my phone...plus I saw a little but always miss stuff.

25. leeroy jenkins

leeroy jenkins Forum Resident

I want to get the Shocking Blue album, and it's $27 I think. But yeah, all the other albums I'm interested in are under $20.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.