Record Store Day "RSD" April 2018 Releases*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by cwd, Feb 4, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jim B.

Jim B. Senior Member

Your first line - I have no idea, I was responding to a specific point about young people. I guess they are the future though!

Crimson Witch and uzn007 like this.
  2. aoxomoxoa

aoxomoxoa I'm an ear sitting in the sky

Rsd or not, I’m buying the Spirit box!

3. Yes they have been included on RSD on a very small scale. You know Cassette Day was a separate thing too.

Crimson Witch likes this.
  4. jimod99

jimod99 Daddy or chips?

RSD is "Record Store" not record!

Pretty much ever Record Store I have been in since 1985 sells both records and CD's.

I have Eno and Harmonia's "Tracks and Traces Remixed" it is a RSD 2010 release, it was only available on cd, and still has never had a vinyl release.

Probably one of the major failings of Record Store Day nowadays is that it has moved away from its original intention and now only caters for vinyl buyers and ignores the many thousands who actually only buy cd's from their local independent Record Store!

5. Mrtn77

Mrtn77 Forum Resident

What my record store does is set up the RSD exclusives in the morning for those who want them and hold concerts throughout the afternoon for the rest. They get a very large turnout all day long and everybody browses through the whole store. Seems to work well for them.

6. Jon Busey-Hunt

Jon Busey-Hunt Forum Resident

7. Porkpie

Porkpie Forum Resident

Do guys here show up and camp from midnight or more sensible and go in after the mad rush? I’ve never fancied queueing up but Black Friday I did for Neil Young’s Harvest Moon reissue and was glad I did as they only had 1 copy (I’m in the UK). RSD though seems pretty mad and I’d rather not be caught on the local news standing outside in a long queue.

Crimson Witch, alx7 and Grow Fins like this.
  8. troggy

troggy Papa-Oom-Mow-Mow

I've only gone twice and each time it was later in the day. If I go, I spend more time looking at the used items the store has put out that day than I do RSD merchandise.

Crimson Witch and Porkpie like this.
  9. Danby Delight

Danby Delight Forum Resident

I have never queued up, and in fact usually don't get to a store until sometime around noon, and I rarely have trouble getting what I went in for. However, I'm usually not clamoring for the the big hot title of the day, whatever it is. For example, my big get for this go-round is the Redd Kross LP, which isn't in any danger of selling out instantaneously.

Crimson Witch, Porkpie and troggy like this.
  10. Grow Fins

Grow Fins ...and leave you laaaaand-lubbing women alone

I'll confess amongst ourselves that I do in fact queue before the store opens. For me it adds something to the experience, waiting and getting in early, and having the best shot at the choice bits. It's important to note, however, that over here one can safely turn up an hour before opening time and still be the earlierst. I generally bring a music mag to read, and you often tend to get involved in conversation with the other folks who are waiting there, who tend to be just as passionate and nutty about music as I am.

Whether showing up early in fact results in securing those choice records is a different question though. There have been some disappointing years, and the disappointment stings all the more if you've been waiting outside. These days, I tend to order a couple of regular records to pick up on the same day, so that I do have something I look forward to to bring home. However, I did manage to net the rare Bill Evans release last year, which was sweet all the more :D

11. troggy

troggy Papa-Oom-Mow-Mow

If I buy anything this RSD, that will probably be the one.

12. SoundAdvice

SoundAdvice Senior Member

"albums" are actually a 78rpm term that carried over. Think photo album.

[​IMG]

JeffMo, Man at C&A, CWillman and 2 others like this.
  13. alx7

alx7 Forum Resident

I have generally showed up an hour and a half early at my first local which is 1 hour and 10 minutes away. Am usually there first 5 or 6 if not 1st in line. My second local opens 2 hrs later 3 blocks away so que up for that too. Been doing RSD since 2012 and always have a good time. I save my quarters, loonies and toonies through out the year and manage to generate a couple of hundred dollars after a trade in a the bank.
    That sometimes cover half of what I buy but probably not this year. My list is long and having trouble trimming it back:sigh:

14. d.douglas

d.douglas Forum Resident

Wonderful job, Jon. You really got the early 70s Impulse! cover style down :) I've been waiting for a legit reissue of Cymbals on LP for years! (Also, I hope you guys get to do some more non-compilation Ra issues down the road)

Grow Fins and Crimson Witch like this.
  15. Exactly. An album is really the package that contains something. Usually artwork ; music, photos, etc.

16. Echoes Myron

Echoes Myron Forum Resident

Planning to go at 5 AM this year. Had fun last year doing the same. I am a morning person though.

hi_watt and Crimson Witch like this.
  17. Crimson Witch

Crimson Witch Roll across the floor thru the hole & out the door

I get it. But RSD isn't just about vinyl. There are plenty of CD releases that are exclusive to RSD ( true they are outnumbered by vinyl exclusives, by about 8 to 1 in my estimation ) nevertheless they are an important part of Record Store Day for independent merchants. Another important factor to note is that new releases which come out on both CD and vinyl, just ahead of Record Store Day, some by as much as a month, figure into the sales and draw of the event, for some, more so than the vinyl exclusives which, by the way, I often see in stores long after RSD.

18. Crimson Witch

Eric Burdon and The Animals,
    Nights in San Framcisco

Release Date: 4/21/2018
    Format: LP
    Label: Rhythm & Blues
    Quantity: 1000 (2000 worldwide)
    Release type: 'RSD First'

Side 1: Tracks 1-3: 21 January 1967 live in Hamburg. Tracks 4-6: 20 January 1967 live in Offenbach. Side 2: Tracks 1-5: January 1967 Tracks 6-7: October 1967. Side 1: 1. C. C. Rider 2. A Love Like Ours 3. Shake, Rattle And Roll 4. Tobacco Road 5. Roadrunner 6. C. C. Rider Side 2 1. Paint It Black 2. When I Was Young 3. The Same Thing 4. Rockin’ The Blues 5. Connection 6. San Franciscan Nights* 7. Good Times* 8. Eric Burdon interviews

This one looks to be a gem !

Flynbryan, alx7 and Jimijam like this.
  19. Crimson Witch

Five more new releases on 4/21/2018
    top list:

David Axelrod
    Song of Innocence

Now-Again label
    masterpiece of orchestral
    funk,
    jazz, and soul

Brian Eno with Kevin Shields,
    The Weight of History /
    Only Once Away My Son

Opal label
    Dream collaboration of the century

Jeff Beck,
    Truth

Friday Music
    SH forum favourite

Spectrum,

Highs, Lows & Heavenly Blows
    Medical label
    Spacemen 3 guitar-keyboardist Pete Kember

Popol Vuh,
    Messa Di Orfeo
    OneWay Static label

DHamilton likes this.
  20. Crimson Witch

The Stooges, s/t
    (Detroit Edition double LP)
    Elektra label

Groundhogs,
    Scratching the Surface
    Fire label

Bo Diddley,
    16 All-Time Greatest Hits
    Sundazed

21. Crimson Witch

this is gearing up to be one of the best RSD-waxcuts yet !

Shocking Blue,
    Singles Collection A's and B's Pt. 1
    Music on Vinyl

The Kinks,
    Phobia
    Friday Music

22. mick_sh

mick_sh Hackney diamond

It’s going to be a very expensive RSD for me.

alx7 and Crimson Witch like this.
  23. Crimson Witch

For me too....if this nest of earworms turns into a full-blown mission between
    now and April 21 !
    :agree:

I was just mulling over the list of record stores within a fifty-mile radius (approx. one-hour drive by way of city streets) of where I live. I had forgotten there were so many ~ 21 in all. I'll know I am in for a serious dent in the cashbox once I map out a tour itinerary !:laugh:

mick_sh likes this.
  24. Crimson Witch

Pink Floyd,
    Piper at the Gates of Dawn - mono
    Legacy label

Robyn Hitchcock,
    Robyn Hitchcock & His LA Squires
    Yep Roc label

The Rolling Stones,
    Satanic Majesties Request
    ABKCO label

The Allman Brothers Band
    Live at the Atlanta Pop Festival
    July 3rd and 5th 1970
    Legacy label

25. Tanx

Tanx Forum Resident

Not midnight, but around 4 a.m. And I still miss out on the stuff I want!

Last year the lines started at 10 the night before, so it might just be a hopeless case. The store is within walking distance of a college, and the big groups up front are college kids, most of whom seem to be just along for the ride. I'm happy to see young people there even if it impacts me buying my 12 millionth Bowie album. I certainly had my turn way back when.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.