Record vacuum cleaners.

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Jamie Tate, Jan 6, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jamie Tate

Jamie Tate New Member Thread Starter

Luke suggested that I look into a vacuum record cleaner. I've checked out a few and want to know if anyone has experience/problems with the two I've found. Do either of the two sog up the label?

The first one is from VPI

The second is from Nitty Gritty.

Thanks for the help.

2. rontokyo

rontokyo Senior Member

I've had a Nitty Gritty for about 11 years and haven't experienced any problems. No, the label doesn't get wet. The only drawback to the NG is that while the record rotates, there is tension on the record center hole that could, over a prolonged period of time, slightly enlarge the hole. A design flaw, IMO.

3. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

4. Joe Koz

Joe Koz Prodigal Bone Brotherâ„¢ In Memoriam

I purchased my Nitty Gritty in the late 80's. Iv'e had no problems what so ever. I recently put a new Vac-sweep on my Nitty Gritty. After 15 or 16 years that's pretty damn good. I have the Master 1 model, full manual. I prefer that over the semi or full automatic models. More control I guess. I know the VPI's are preferred over the Nitty Gritty's by many here, but I all ways felt the VPI's are way over priced. Just my 2 cents.

5. Ted Bell

Ted Bell Forum Dentist

6. KLM

KLM Senior Member

I've had the VPI 16 for a couple of years without any problems. My brother has had one for about 10 years also without any problems to speak of. I really like mine but have never compared it to the Nitty Gritty. The VPI is about twice as expensive as the Nitty Gritty but also is a bit more substantial although there may be less of a difference in performance. The VPI is like another component (rather than accessory) and proudly has its own shelf on the lp cabinet.

7. rontokyo

rontokyo Senior Member

Good point. The VPI is a handsome-looking machine. I custom built a box with removable lid to enclose my Nitty Gritty as it is a rather unappealing machine. I'm sure most others wouldn't be so bothered by the NG's looks, however. I have the semi-automatic model with manual fluid pump and appreciate that feature. But the price is much more than the manual version.

8. Holy Zoo

Holy Zoo Gort (Retired) :-)

Jamie, spend the extra $200 or so and get the VPI, you won't be sorry. The machine is so well built, you'll actually *enjoy* cleaning your LPs.

No muss, no fuss, all the liquid is contained.

HZ

9. michael w

michael w New Member

VPI or Nitty Gritty ...both do a good job of cleaning.

Being lazy my preference is for a semi-automatic Nitty Gritty.

I have a rare Nitty Gritty Hybrid with solid oak cabinet and CD cleaning capability. I think it looks great all polished up, plus the Hybrid has a cover so it doesn't look ugly.

:D

That VPI Deluxe Package appears to be good value.
    I like the idea of including an extra cork mat, it overcomes my apprehension at flipping the record over to do side B and placing the clean side A down on the very surface where the formerly dirty side B was, possibly re-contaminating the just cleaned side.

:sigh:

There are also RCM's by Moth , Loricraft and Clearaudio and probably others.

Whatever machine you get , buy a box of earplugs too !

These things are NOISY !

And work in a well ventilated room or you may find yourself getting high on the atomized cleaning fluid.

:p

cheerio

10. John Moschella

John Moschella Senior Member

Personally I have the VPI, but I also have experience with the NG. The VPI is built like a tank and for basic cleaning they both do a good job. But if you really get into this your going to want to use the Disc Doctor and I don't see how that is going to work with the NG whereas the VPI with the DD makes the process much easier. The DD really does get your records cleaner and you CAN hear the difference. For that reason I would suggest going with the VPI.

John

11. Jamie Tate

Thanks everyone. I just ordered the VPI. I really appreciate all your input. You guys were very helpful.

12. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

On the other hand, why not save the money on a cleaning machine (they all get your records clean) and spend more on equipment or LPs? If it's a choice between a few hundred dollars and having to spin my records around 3 times, I'll spin my records!

13. Jamie Tate

Yeah, I thought about that. I think it's what HZ said about "actually *enjoy* cleaning your LPs." I guess that's what won me over. I work hard for my money so why not splurge a little.

Thanks Luke. I wouldn't have known about these machines if you hadn't mentioned them a few weeks ago.

14. RetroSmith

RetroSmith Forum Hall Of Fame<br>(Formerly Mikey5967)

I make my own cleaner from a recipie that had identical results to the Disk Doctor fluid. Mine only costs about 3 bucks a gallon to make...and it lasts a long long time.

I dont think you need a vacum machine to get Lps clean. The trick is in the RINSE. After you clean, if you rinse with Distilled water AND scrub in into the grooves before the final spritz, I find the records come out very very clean.

15. Mike V

Mike V New Member

No, you don't need a vacuum machine to get LPs very clean. A vacuum machine just takes them to that next level...

Mikey, what's your recipe?? I'm curious.

16. Ronflugelguy

Ronflugelguy Resident Trumpet Geek

17. Jamie Tate

Doh!

I just now ordered it from Music Direct.

Thanks though. I appreciate the thought.:)

18. Ronflugelguy

Ronflugelguy Resident Trumpet Geek

Now you have at least a 1yr warranty, I think. Good luck!

19. RetroSmith

Cleaner

>>>>>>Glad to share:

Three Parts Distilled Water
    One Part 99% Isopropol Alcohol
    half a capful of Lysol Direct

Spray into grooves. scrub.
    Rinse with Distilled water from Spray bottle.
    Scrub Distilled water into grooves.
    Rinse again with Distilled water from spray bottle.

Let dry.

This gets my disks REALLY clean. I can hear the difference.

20. Mike V

Mike V New Member

Re: Cleaner

Thanks Mikey!

21. lsupro

lsupro King of Ignorers

Re: Cleaner

Forgive me for sounding stupid here...what are you scrubbing with?

Seems a bit harsh...

I should state I am a bit new to the audiophile vinyl world and have never heard of such a thing. I fear pressing my lent brush to the album too hard.

22. Mike V

Mike V New Member

Bill, you get a feel for it after a while. I know what Mikey's talking about. I've used a "scrub" method for years involving cotton cloths (highly absorbent & low lint). It works great! I do this before the record goes on the VPI for a final cleaning. It's extremely important that very dirty (usually used) records are cleaned somewhat before a spin on a vacuum machine. Not only will you avoid contaminating your brushes, but your records won't have grit scraped along the grooves which adds noise.

Most people listening to my records think they're hearing a CD (not for sound quality, but lack of pops or noise). And it does no visual damage to the vinyl if you're careful.

23. RetroSmith

A record brush.

24. ascot

ascot Senior Member

Mikey,

I found this article with a homemade mix which is very similar to your recipe.

http://www.soundstage.com/synergize/synergize041998.htm

I went out and picked up the items on your list and made up a bottle-full. How much of this stuff do you put on the record? I'm playing around with some really nasty 45's before moving to the bigger items.

Thanks for listing your recipe!

25. RetroSmith

I really just spray a couple of shots on each side, then take the brush, and lightly spread it around the whole surface of the record, THEN I do the scrubbing, not to hard of course.

On thing I may have forgotten to mention is the brush I use.

I use what are sold as "lint brushes" in the .99 store...you know those plastic brushed with the red pads. They cost me .99 each, and they work famously. They really get into the grooves and clean.

I use one for cleaning and a different one for rinsing.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.