Recorded Albums but Unreleased

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Dr. Winston, Jun 28, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dr. Winston

Dr. Winston New Member Thread Starter

Just finished listening to John Fogerty's "Hoo Doo" unreleased album tonight and it got me thinking of other major rock artists that have recorded albums but for whatever reason it never got released. obviously the Beach Boys "Smile" would have to be one of the most famous with artwork completed etc. Here's my starter list --let's see how many we can document.

1. Beach Boys-Smile
    2. John Fogerty-Hoo Doo
    3. Ringo Starr- Can't Fight Lightning
    4. Buffalo Springfield-Stampede

2. GuyDon

GuyDon Senior Member

The Beatles Get Back
    Paul McCartney McCartney II (Double Album)
    George Harrison Somewhere In England (Version 1)
    Brian Wilson Adult Child
    The Beach Boys Landlocked

3. Dugan

Dugan Senior Member

Paul McCartney - Cold Cuts
    Brian Wilson - Sweet Insanity
    CSNY - Human Highway

4. guy incognito

guy incognito Senior Member

Neil Young - Chrome Dreams

5. MagicAlex

MagicAlex Gort Emeritus

Jackson Browne - Jackson Browne
    The Beatles - Get Back

6. tim_neely

tim_neely Forum Hall Of Fame

Five more unreleased albums

Bee Gees -- Possible third Australian album (in 1966, they recorded 14 songs around the same time as "Spicks and Specks," but when they left Australia, they ended up being used as demos for other artists instead. Thirteen of the 14 songs have been issued in Australia but still not in the UK or the US.)
    Bee Gees -- A Kick in the Head Is Worth Eight in the Pants (1973)
    Sheryl Crow -- Sheryl Crow (1993, the first one, before Tuesday Night Music Club; it even got listed in the Schwann catalog)
    Linda Ronstadt -- Keeping Out of Mischief (1981)
    Neil Young -- Give to the Wind (1978, evolved into Comes A Time)

7. Kym

Kym Former Resident

Black Crowes, Amorica. Originally a 2-CD set, it was completely scrapped for the lackluster version out now.

Wilco, Decibels per Minute. This may get released - who knows?

Pink Floyd, Household Objects. If Tusk could follow up Rumours, imagine Household Objects after The Dark Side of the Moon!

The Alan Parsons Project, The Sicilian Defense

Donna Summer, I'm A Rainbow. It finally got released in 1996.

8. Roland Stone

Roland Stone Offending Member

Possible Neil Young Urban Legend

Didn't Neil Young record an album, HOMEGROWN, that was the follow-up to HARVEST?

I recall that a Neil Young album was recorded, pressed and packaged, and ready for shipment. The artist had a change of heart. Neil had to buy the thousands of (promo?) albums from his label, and they're rotting somewhere on his ranch.

Or is that one of those stories that's better than fact?

9. Roland Stone

Roland Stone Offending Member

Beatles ANTHOLOGY I

I read that a ridiculous number of The Beatles' ANTHOLOGY I had to be destroyed after Paul decided to change the song sequence at the last minute. I think it amounted to flipping two songs near the beginning, and a gold record shipment worth of CDs and artwork had to be destroyed and redone.

Beatles experts can now chime in with deatils and corrections...

10. nashreed

nashreed New Member

I'm a little confused as to some of these "unreleased albums" that are listed on this thread- as cool a thread as it is...

This thread should be limited to albums that were actually completely finished and all ready to go. "Smile" was never completely finished, just the cover, right? I didn't think that CSNY's "Human Highway" was never even near finished; again, just a cover was ready. As far as the other Neil Young albums, "Homegrown" (which would have been the follow-up of "On The Beach") was complete. "Chrome Dreams" was more or less completed. "Give To The Wind" was just mentioned as the title of "Comes A Time" in "Rolling Stone", I didn't think there was a difference to "Comes A Time". Then there's "Human Highway" by Neil Young, which was all ready to go until he took off the song "If You Got Love", took off a minute of "Like An Inca", and called in "Trans".

There are still albums being made and paid for that are going unreleased in 2002. I have promos of albums by artists like Regency Buck, Montell Jordan, and Melissa Lefton that haven't come out. One in particular that keeps getting pushed back is Kenna's "New Sacred Cow", which is a GREAT album- that should be released. It's a lot better than a lot o' crap coming out.

James

John Brookbank likes this.
  11. Dugan

Dugan Senior Member

Re: Beatles ANTHOLOGY I

Ring, Ring Chiming in..... :)

Actually it was Anthology 2. I'm Down was moved up to track 3 on disc one, so there would be an uptempo song at the beginning of the disc. It was originally was to appear in it's correct chronological spot after Yesterday. (Believe it or not but they both, along with I've Just Seen A Face, were recorded the same day, June 14th 1965.)

12. tim_neely

Re: Possible Neil Young Urban Legend

It's actually based in truth, and it's related to the Give to the Wind / Comes a Time album. Neil bought an entire press run of an unreleased version of this record and used 'em for shooting practice to assure that none of them would get out.

More details on the convoluted story of this album can be found here: http://home.earthlink.net/~sidestreet/sidesite83.html

13. tim_neely

Re: Beatles ANTHOLOGY I

A little more on this: Yes, it was Anthology 2, rather than Anthology 1.

A very small number of the original CD booklets survived, though as far as I know, none of the discs, tapes or records made it out. (The trail-off area of Disc 1 of the released CD and Record 1 of the released vinyl both have "RE-1" in them.) Also, as far as I know, none of the CD books made it to the general public; they got into the collector's market through inside sources and not as a result of being used accidentally in any released copy of the CD.

I got to see one of the original booklets at Beatlefest in 1996; even then, it was WAY out of my price range. There actually were some other slight changes in the book, in addition to the order of songs on Disc 1, including substituting a photo of, I believe, John and Paul together for one of John alone (or was it Paul alone?).

14. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

To change the tone a bit here, I would love to hear the original mix of Diana Ross' 1980 "Diana" album, as mixed by producers Nile Rodgers and Bernard Edwards.

If Universal ever does a Deluxe package of this classic album, they should include it.

I think this falls into the "never released" catagory...

15. Bob Casner

Bob Casner Senior Member

I read many years ago about an album that James Brown recorded with Sly and Robbie. I've been looking for it ever since to no avail.
    The Los Angeles Times once did a several page article for the Sunday edition of their Calendar entertainment section about The Beatles Get Back.Soon after the article appeared I found a boot for $75, the most I've ever paid for a CD, and I have to say it IS a good one. It includes more tunes from the "rooftop concert" than the standard "Phil Spectorized" CD as well.

16. Jimbo

Jimbo Forum Hall Of Fame

This thread is a good opportunity to bring up Jean-Michel Jarre's Music for Supermarkets again--OK, he pressed one copy and then destroyed the master, I'd say that's close enough to unreleased.

Bradley and I are probably the only ones who'd like to see Columbia issue the original, rejected version of Niel Diamond's Primitive album.;)

17. TSmithPage

TSmithPage Ex Post Facto Member

Well, no wonder it was rejected. It was obviously recorded by an imposter, and NEIL made sure Columbia knew it. :D
    (and you call yourself a Neil Diamond fan...)

18. nashreed

nashreed New Member

Jimbo,
    Do you not have the "Music For Supermarkets" album, then??:o (Knowing you, you might just have that one copy...y'know -found it in a stack at Discorama, ...$8 :) ).

What was different about the original Neil Diamond "Primitive"? (I like Neil Diamond..)

James

19. Chris M

Chris M Senior Member In Memoriam

>>Then there's "Human Highway" by Neil Young, which was all ready to go >>until he took off the song "If You Got Love", took off a minute of "Like An >>Inca", and called in "Trans".

I think the unreleased Neil LP you are thinking of is called 'Island's in the Sun'. If memeory serves there would of been some overlap w/ Trans but it was a essentially a different LP. I'm sure someone here knows more about it than me!

Chris

20. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

Between "Fire It Up" and "Garded Of Love", Rick James recorded an album that was very breifly released on Gordy (Motown). For some reason it was quickly withdrawn and purged from the catalog.

21. Vivaldinization

Vivaldinization Active Member

Zappa had quite a few of these, with the two most availible ones being "Crush All Boxes" (which semi-morphed into YAWYI and Tinseltown) and "Chalk Pie" (which later morphed into bits and pieces of Man From Utopia, Mothers of Prevention, and Ship Arriving, amoung others). Then there's the "History and Collected Improvisations" box that essentially leaked, the "Trance Fusion" album which has been availible for some time (and has been "about to come out" for about 6 years now), et cetera.

-D

22. Chris M

Chris M Senior Member In Memoriam

How about the Syd version of A Saucerul of Secrets?? Syd left/was ousted half way through the sessions that produced much of the LP. The following tracks were recorded with Syd after Piper was released. Some of these ended up on the released version of Saucerful, some on 45, and some are unreleased.

Scream thy Last Scream
    Set the Controls (as on ASFOS)
    Vegtable Man
    In the Beechwoods (backing track only....but a VERY catchy Syd original)
    Remember a Day (on ASFOS)
    Appples and Oranges (3rd 45)
    Paintbox (b side)
    John Latham (a bit of a mystery...)
    Untitled (edited of this is on boots...jangly Byrds riff w/ lots of melatron)
    Jugband Blues

Could of been one of the best Psych LP's ever IMO.

Chris

23. TSmithPage

TSmithPage Ex Post Facto Member

According to the liner notes, ELO's Secret Messages was originally a double album, so I'd assume there's at least one album of material out there that was recorded but not released.

As a subthread, I'd be interested in knowing how many of the titles discussed here have ultimately surfaced, albeit not in a legitimate forum. For example, Dave Matthews Lillywhite Sessions was never offically released but has been made commonly available to fans through downloads on the internet. Other examples?

24. tim_neely

Sheryl Crow's unreleased debut became so common in bootleg, at least in some circles, that Entertainment Weekly actually reviewed it. The same with the Matthews Lillywhite sessions, which according to ICE are being released, albeit in altered form.

Of course, the Beatles' Get Back has been circulating on bootlegs since 1970.

25. BRush

BRush Senior Member

Gram Parsons' 1st Solo LP

After he left the Flying Burritto Brothers, Gram Parsons' made a solo LP for A&M Records that was never released. I never seen any tracks released from it. Gram supposedly destroyed the master tapes. Maybe they're out in Joshua Tree.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.