Recording advice please

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Michaelpeth, Nov 20, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Michaelpeth

Michaelpeth Forum Resident Thread Starter

Apologies if this is the wrong place... Im hoping someone can avoid laughing and offer a bit of advice. I've played guitar and piano badly for many years and a early this year acquired a multitrack recording desk (tascam dp24) and I'm keen to record a few bits and pieces. However, I don't like using computers for recording or making noises e.g., vsts... I like my old school Roland jv1080 and my crappy digital piano. Unfortunately my piano/keyboard playing is poor so I need to use a sequencer preferably notation based. I used to have an old Compaq lump of metal with cubase and a soundblaster sounds live card... Which I could connect and control my jv1080 from the midi port. However my crappy little laptop only has USB... Im guessing I need some sort of midi interface like a midiman to act as the conduit between my digital piano, sequencing software and my jv1080. Advice and obviously abuse for my thickness gratefully appreciated.

P.S. I am not going to record guitars and other acoustic stuff to computer as I like the interface of the tascam, however stupid this seems. Thanks

2. dub_siq

dub_siq Forum Resident

I have no answer for you and have never seen "midi" mentioned in my short time lurking here (but there are some very knowledgeable people here, and no doubt someone will have an answer/suggestion), but you might also check on more of a recording forum like homerecording.com or gearslutz.com.

Michaelpeth likes this.
  3. Michaelpeth

Thank you

Sneaky Pete likes this.
  4. eeglug

eeglug Senior Member

The question I would have in my mind is how old is this comp and what flavor of windows is it running. For an interface to work you need drivers for it that work with that old machine and its OS. You may need to find an older audio interface and go hunting for appropriate drivers in order to accomplish what you're aiming to do.

Eg. If its running XP, you'll need an interface that worked for that OS.

That's my guess for the situation you're in....

5. Michaelpeth

Apologies might not have made it clear I have a laptop running Windows 7 which will host the sequencer, but it only has USB sockets not 5 pin midi hence I need a device that links my old roland jv 1080 and piano which are both old 5 pin midi

6. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

Michael, you might find more of what you're looking for on Gearslutz.com, although the level of professionality may be a couple steps higher than your comfort zone. Another place to see what others are using, though.
    Or, ehomerecordingstudio.com
    Or, musicproductionnerds.com
    These two are a little more rudimentary...so rudimentary, I'm not sure I'm even using the word, "rudimentary" right.

Good luck!

Michaelpeth likes this.
  7. Michaelpeth

Thanks will give those sites a look

8. riknbkr330

riknbkr330 Senior Member

MOTU Audio Express interface, which has MIDI In and Out, and DAW software such as Reaper. I believe there's a trial version of Reaper that's free.

That should do the trick.

Michaelpeth likes this.
  9. Michaelpeth

Thank you, I'll have a look

10. action pact

action pact Music Omnivore

Michaelpeth likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.