SH Spotlight Recording and Mastering Questions---Answered here. Any more?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Steve Hoffman, Apr 20, 2006.

1. Darles Chickens

Darles Chickens New Member

Steve: when you are cutting lacquer at 45 rpm as opposed to 33 rpm do you have to adjust the distance between the playback and preview head or the delay loop itself? I was told that for 33 rpm you need 900 ms of delay and for 45 rpm you need 667 and I am curious to know how this adjustment is done on the Studer A-80 tape machine that you use at AcousTech.

2. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host Thread Starter

Why would anyone care to know that boring tidbit of info? All of your questions seem to be slated towards building a studio or something. Why don't you just come on and tell us what you're up to, eh?

3. Darles Chickens

What are you talking about? Building a studio??? If I could afford to build a studio I wouldn't being be playing my vinyl LPs on a cheap crappy Pro-Ject turntable. I am just an engineering and computer science student with a big interest in technical stuff related to the production of music and the making of LP records. When I finish my degree I will be working in the computer industry. Aren't you a professional photographer or something in addition to being a mastering engineer? How would you feel if you went on the forum of a digital camera manufacturer and started asking technical questions about how cameras work...do you think someone would accuse you of trying to start up your own digital camera company?

By the way...I started playing guitar a few years ago. When I improve I am planning on joining or starting up a band and recording an album or two, and if possible, have my music released on vinyl, so naturally I have an interest in how stuff in studios work.

4. Steve Hoffman

Pro photographer? No. Where did you get that?

How would I feel? Like my brain was being picked for technical stuff for some unknown reason, that's how (as you well know).:) This thread is not for helping you write a term paper on engineering mechanics, it's for getting my "take" on the various processes. Come on down to AcousTech/RTI sometime and Kevin Gray will answer all of your questions about the mechanics of record cutting gladly or you can email him.

Let's try and keep this thread away from such minutiae. You're all got me here to get MY spin on stuff, not confirm stuff that you can read in a tech book. Use this to your advantage; I'm waving my consulting fee. ;)

5. Darles Chickens

Alright, thanks for the offer! :) I will definitely drop by one day when I am in California. Maybe he can teach me how to cut lacquer or I can try to do it myself just for the fun of it and see how many blank lacquers I will ruin before I get it right. I love operating electronic equipment without reading the manual. He would probably kick me out within half an hour after being annoyed by all my questions. ;)

6. Steve Hoffman

When we do seminars at RTI we love answering tec questions and talking about technical stuff. For those that are interested, it's a valuable oppurtunity; the rest (who's eyes start to glaze over, you have the chance to leave at that point). ;)

For the purposes of this thread though, I think it's better to keep it more about theories of recording and mastering; I think that the people who are reading this around the world will get more out of it than if we continually talk about cutting mechanics and delay times, etc. However, if this IS what you guys want to read about, let me know.

McLover likes this.
  7. Jamie Tate

Jamie Tate New Member

When's the next open invite to RTI? Got anything around August 1? :) I may be in your neck of the woods.

8. Steve Hoffman

Let us know, we'll gladly show you around.

9. Darles Chickens

Steve: how different or similar are your and Kevin Gray's mastering philosophies?

If the same tape was given to both of you and each of you were asked to do whatever you think needs to be done to make the music sound the best, would the end result, either CD or LP, sound the same?

10. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

Steve, why do so many mastering guys insist that tape loses it's treble, or crispness over time, and you say you have never heard any evidence to this claim? What is going on here?

Drifter likes this.
  11. Mal

Mal Phorum Physicist

Steve, what do you think about digital overs? It is well known that many of your CDs have some but they sound great despite that. Do you just let a few get through so long as you can't hear the effects so as to allow a decent level for the digital transfer and therefore better resolution? I am guessing that to completely avoid overs without using compression would mean a level on the CD as stupidly low as Sony used to recommend back in 1983.......

12. Steve Hoffman

Similar but different. Hard to give an example. Kevin is more of a "get what is there but make sure it's musical" type of guy and I'm more of a "I want what is there to sound the most lifelike it can, even if the recording doesn't and I'll muck around a great deal to get it that way" kind of guy.

Kevin (and the other engineers at Whitney) taught me mastering but I've taken it a bit further... Bad or good further you have to decide.

13. Steve Hoffman

I think engineers have lost their "personal" treble or crispness over time, not the tapes.

showtaper and Drifter like this.
  14. Steve Hoffman

You got it.

15. apileocole

apileocole Lush Life Gort

:thumbsup:

May I ask your opinion re: reverb / echo?

Perhaps I'm curious for an idea of what is "too dry" to you. In the Music Man thread you mentioned mixing it sans echo. In the case of Nat's good ol' Love Is The Thing DCC, there's some of Capitol's old acoustic chamber echo dialed in (beautiful disc btw I really love it). Did you only add it into the Nat disc for "authenticity," brining it closer to the mono mix for instance? Would you rather leave echo out assuming at least some sense of space is in the recording? Do you feel the old Capitol stereos for example need it? And paper or plastic? :winkgrin:

16. Steve Hoffman

Too dry? Well, my goal is not to dry up old recordings. They sound interesting without reverb (listen to the hidden bonus track at the end of the DCC Gold CD of LOVE IS THE THING for the dry version of "Stardust") but they were never meant to be heard that way.

The Music Man has a dash of echo on Shirley Jones songs that I added but not on Robert Preston's songs; that just sounds silly. I wanted the Nat Cole stereo version I did to pretty much match the "quality" of the mono version. The old Capitol stereo mixes of that stuff really dumped way too much echo on everything; obscures the very essence of the material to me. I reduce that by half and it usually works.

17. apileocole

apileocole Lush Life Gort

18. Fortune

Fortune Senior Member

Steve,

With regard to the imminent "death" of the Capitol tower, do you feel that it puts an end to the remixing/mastering of such projects as the Nat King Cole CD's, Peggy Lee's or Judy Garland's? Since the famous echo chambers won't be available after the tower closes would you still be able to remix a project somewhere else and still be faithful to the echo at Capitol? Or is that the end?

19. Steve Hoffman

Tower Studio is still there. For all we know it could survive. Let's worry about the alternative when it happens. :)

20. Sean Keane

Sean Keane Pre-Mono record collector In Memoriam

Steve, would you know if the master tapes of Frank Sinatra's Songs For Swingin' Lovers sound as CLEAR as the best Capitol recordings of the fifties? Larry Walsh's remaster, though apparently not noise reduced, does not. Even the non echoed selections from the Capitol Years set don't.

21. MMM

MMM Forum Hall Of Fame

I hope it survives, Steve, and intact, whether run by Capitol or possibly by someone else. Studio B's performance area is still basically original. Those echo chambers are irreplaceable... :crosses fingers:

22. MMM

MMM Forum Hall Of Fame

I remember Steve said the real tapes sounded amazing...

23. Sean Keane

Sean Keane Pre-Mono record collector In Memoriam

Martin, it's time he did a Sinatra Capitol album. At least one. I am so curious as to how it would sound. The Walsh remaster, though you say is from the right tapes, is so hard, loud and sonically uninviting that, even on my cruddy system, is no fun to listen to for me.

24. Dragun

Dragun Forum Resident

Steve, you've mastered albums from various genres. Are there any genres that you are unfamiliar with or dislike? Is it harder to figure out what those kind of albums should sound like or are remastering principles basically the same for any genre?

Do you usually consult the original artists and mixers during the remastering process?

25. Steve Hoffman

Music I dislike? Not really. I try to fall in love with all of my projects.

Remastering principles are different for certain types of music, yes. One example: Reggae has this big boomy bass full of ripe overtones that drive mastering engineers up the wall. That is an essential part of the "sound" and cannot be tampered with.

If an original artist wants to hang out while I work, fine but I do not seek them out. (See my oft told Ray Charles "HIT THE ROAD, JACK" story for why this is).