SH Spotlight Recording and Mastering Questions---Answered here. Any more?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Steve Hoffman, Apr 20, 2006.

1. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

What's wrong with Paint It Black?

Not narrowing, at least on those songs. Others (I Am Waiting) were narrowed.

Don't know exactly how they did it. One way is to send the output to another bus, use a low pass filter and then mix that to the opposite channel.

I haven't heard Aftermath on LP, so I don't know. I certainly do have LPs that have the bass somewhat centered.

2. Doug Sclar

Doug Sclar Forum Legend

Compression and the volume on cd are not necessarily related. You can make a loud cd without using compression and make a quiet one with using compression. A cd has the capability of around 100db dynamic range and most masters don't approach that. Raising the level on the cd can be a good thing in that it takes the low level information into a more linear region. Then again it can be a bad thing. It would sure be nice to have a standard level like there sort of is for vinyl mastering. Of course that one is imposed by the limits of the technology where as in digital those limits are not nearly as severe.

Paul Lancaster likes this.
  3. JJ75

JJ75 Forum Resident

Sorry don't want to go off topic on this thread.
    Not saying there's anything really wrong with the SACD version, it sounds pretty nice actually. Its just the drums and bass are clearly on the same track of the multi, and are panned left. However there is clearly low bass in the right channel as well which is not totally in phase (if thats the right word) with bass on the left (so no phantom centre channel).

You can hear it clearly in the line "I see the girls walk by..." and in the whooshes (or whatever they're called??) during the outro.

That has to be either filtered and combined, or it's mike leakage.
    I don't have a London cd to hand to compare though maybe it's always been like that and its more apparent on the SACD.

Cheers
    JJ

4. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

I'd have to listen again, but I don't remember it being narrowed, nor do I remember any bass centering on the 4-track material, just the 3-track material. My guess is that's how it's always been (although the bass is a bit louder on the SACD).

Paul Lancaster likes this.
  5. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host Thread Starter

Usually just +3.

6. Steve Hoffman

We "MRL" up the playback deck and wing it. Checking for the usual AZ problems, etc. Works like a charm every time.

Tape speed? Sometimes I use a synth to make sure or check the LP pressing, etc. Whole bunch of ways to make sure it's right..

7. Steve Hoffman

No, no one ever presses from the master. Wrong physical configuration.

Lacquer
    Master
    Mother
    Stamper

That's the way it goes.

Don't forget to watch all of these videos. Essential.

http://www.stevehoffman.tv/forums/showthread.php?t=68559

Rhapsody In Red likes this.
  8. Steve Hoffman

Back in the day, the bass was summed to mono at 150 cycles. Listen to an old Capitol RUBBER SOUL stereo LP. Hear the bass coming out of the vocal channel? Too excessive these days..

9. Steve Hoffman

Baking, dynamic range, etc. already answered by others in this thread...

When I do a Greatest Hits package I go back to the actual master mixes for each song. Well documented here in the archives! A royal pain in the butt by the way.

10. Steve Hoffman

Dudes, if I'm answering these without enough detail for you please let me know.

Sometimes I fear I ramble...

11. Jamie Tate

Jamie Tate New Member

With all due respect, I think we'd all like to read your ramblings on this subject. :)

Gardo likes this.
  12. Dugan

Dugan Senior Member

But well worth it and appreciated.

13. Raf

Raf Senior Member

Here's a very specific question for Steve. I remember being a bit surprised when I saw the DCC Luck of the Draw in a record store. Surprised, because DCC remasters tended to be ones of less recent albums. I bought the CD anyway and was of course pleased with how it sounded.

Anyway, my questions are: Were there any particular challenges in remastering this album? And are there any other interesting stories or trivia you can share about it? Thanks!

14. Davenicks

Davenicks Forum Resident

Recording and Mastering Questions---Answered here. Any more?

I posed this question earlier during the flurry of Capitol Box 2 threads, but I guess it got lost in the storm, so here goes again:

It was stated by Capitol that the whole snafu resulted when a "step-down" master of mono fold downs was mistakenly sent to the pressing plant by the "third party" mastering facility.

What would have been the point of making such a "step-down" master in the first place during the mastering process? Is this a standard procedure in remastering? Has anyone ever done this or heard of anyone doing this on a mastering or re-mastering project?

TIA!

Dave in Nashville

15. Doug Hess Jr.

Doug Hess Jr. Senior Member

Exactly. That's why Steve did it that very way for Linda and the Eagles, Doobie Bros., Cars, Al Green, etc.

16. Doug Hess Jr.

Doug Hess Jr. Senior Member

Hey, Steve Martin made a bunch of cash being a "ramblin' guy" so keep it going!

Besides, this is great stuff to put over on the Interview Archive.

17. Steve Hoffman

No, very easy to do. Nice basic sounding tape to begin with. I just did a little polishing to bring out the "Breath".

18. Steve Hoffman

Someone (don't know who, don't care who) decided that since the RUBBER SOUL stereo dub tapes were mainly music in one channel and singing in the other, no one would notice that the "mono" version was just a collapsed stereo. Obviously this person (or people) didn't reckon with Beatles experts who can hear vast differences in the mixes. Probably to this person it all sounded the same and the stereo was already recently mastered so why not just do a digital pass folded down? Bad choice, yes? :)

19. Sput

Sput Boilerphile In Memoriam

If your wife asked you not to remaster an album because she felt the band sent a very poor message to today's youth...would you still remastered it?

20. Steve Hoffman

Don't know; I'd have to hear it for myself.. Possibly.

21. Steve Hoffman

22. Tony Plachy

Tony Plachy Senior Member

Steve, Thank you so much, please ramble on all you want. :righton:

23. Steve Hoffman

Okie dokie.

24. MMM

MMM Forum Hall Of Fame

Steve, wouldn't the Master and Stamper be the same physical configuration - a "ridge" instead of a groove?

25. Mal

Mal Phorum Physicist

The master wouldn't fit in the press though - wrong hole size.

Also, I presume the physical properties of the stamper material are more suitable for stamping vinyl cleanly.