recordings of race engines?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by cwon, Apr 17, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cwon

cwon Active Member Thread Starter

Probably not much of a market for this, but in the 60's, you could buy recordings of racing cars. Now that the sound of a souped-up V-8 is rarely heard, I'd be interested in hearing a good recording of the beast now and then.
    Anyone have a clue about where to find one?

2. Cafe Jeff

Cafe Jeff New Member

I'd be interested in hearing what the shriek of a Ferrari really sounded like too. These old records must exist somewhere, but I have never seen one at a record fair (though I don't go that often). I wonder if the Library of Congress has kept their copies? Jeff

3. RetroSmith

RetroSmith Forum Hall Of Fame<br>(Formerly Mikey5967)

I've seen one....."The Sound of The Boss Dragsters"

4. Cafe Jeff

Cafe Jeff New Member

I did some hunting on Google and there has actually been quite a bit of work done on the subject. Jeff

5. JohnT

JohnT Senior Member

I watched a Speedvision program last weekend where an English ex-race driver test drove many Ferrari's on a closed track. Many of the drives used in car cameras with sound. Great stuff. All the cars were on loan for the show and one gorgeous mid-sixties Ferrari was Mark Knopfler's.

For me, going to the us f1 race at Watkins Glen in 78' was the best I can remember. Several v-12 engines plus the Renault v-6 turbo. Those sounds and sights mixed with the smell of racing fuel was....

6. ksmitty

ksmitty Senior Member

If you want a really great race car sound I will recommend The DVD "Super Speedway". It was a IMAX THX short film from a few years ago and is available on DVD. It has a great surround sound if you have a 5.1 setup anyway. It has always been one of my favorite reference disk for the HT system . Paul Newman is the Narrator on the film. It also includes the making of Super Speedway . A great film as well if you are into Indy Car's
    anyway. It mainly focuses on Mario Andretti and his sons and family. I guess you could say it is more of Biography on Andretti. But....there is much racing and fantastic surround effects.

7. monoman

monoman Senior Member

I have about a dozen of these on cd. Stock cars, indy cars, drag racing, even "surrounded by horsepower" recorded in Dolby Surround Sound. While I figure out where I found these, try a search on the 'net using "exhaust notes".

8. Bolero

Bolero Senior Member

didn't Nick Mason do a book/CD set recently, covering some of the vintage cars in his collection?

the CD had sounds of the cars on it: BRM, Ferrari etc.

he has a website called ten tenths:

http://www.tentenths.co.uk/

[​IMG]

9. cwon

cwon Active Member Thread Starter

10. stereoptic

stereoptic Anaglyphic GORT Staff

Did George Harrison's Faster have the sounds of a Lotus? (the automobile, not the flower!;)

11. Cafe Jeff

Cafe Jeff New Member

Car engines can sound glorious.
    I remember once when I was in the South of France and the wind was blowing the right away I could hear the time trials from Monaco, a full 10 km away. They sounded like skinned cats complete with doppler effect. That said, watching the Austrian Grand Prix on Saturday was a snoozathon. Jeff

12. Henry Love

Henry Love Senior Member

This is a great DVD.Paul Newman is one of the owners of the Newman-Haas team that both of the Andrettis used to drive for.I've been going to the CART races in Milwaukee and Elkhart Lake for years.A great time.

13. Henry Love

Henry Love Senior Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.