Records - Italian Pressings Revealed

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Stefano G., Apr 1, 2014.

1. squittolo

squittolo Forum Resident

My copy too is lacking of the SIAE stamps on both the sides of the two discs..
    And - as OldJohnRobertson said - I own one of the first Italian pressings of the L.P. my pressing number is 2-54 7 99161 1

Giorgio and OldJohnRobertson like this.
  2. OldJohnRobertson

OldJohnRobertson Martyr for Even Less

Yes, very carefully. If they’re there at all, they’re so light as to be invisible.

squittolo and Giorgio like this.
  3. Giorgio

Giorgio Forum Resident

Ok..it is better to wait a feedback from @Stefano G. I think :agree:

squittolo likes this.
  4. Stefano G.

Stefano G. Ab alto, speres alteri quod feceris. Thread Starter

Does your copy have the S.I.A.E. statement inside a rectangle on the four labels?
    Anyway, it must be kept in mind that a small percentage of Italian records were placed on the market without the stamp. But this does not automatically mean that they are counterfeit copies. On the other hand, I have never seen counterfeit copies of Fear of the Dark Italian edition.
    Dead wax rules, in these cases. If I remember correctly, EMI Italiana stamped and not hand etched matrix codes in that time.

squittolo likes this.
  5. OldJohnRobertson

OldJohnRobertson Martyr for Even Less

Grazie per l’informazione! Ecco un’immagine dell’etichetta se ti aiuta.

[​IMG]

Stefano G. and squittolo like this.
  6. Giorgio

Giorgio Forum Resident

Stefano, do you know the meaning of this number?

7. siebrand

siebrand music lover

What is certain is that this SIAE does not have the slightest respect for customers who buy records
    I don't care about vinyl, I'm only interested in CDs.

Unfortunately, this company sticks their stickers in a horrible way: ruined jewelcases, covered writings, you can no longer read anything (authors, texts, or anything else on the covers, etc.).

Sometimes it's even worse: they put it, this label with powerful glue, on the edge of the CD, so you can't even open the jewel case (or open it, but you still have the glue on your hands and also on the CD).

Maybe, somehow, the SIAE protects their affiliates, I don't know.
    It certainly does not protect those who buy "sold in Italy" CDs. they should simply be ashamed.

Much better than the old days, when they put a simple stamp on the covers.

I, of this SIAE, think of all the possible evil.

8. Stefano G.

Stefano G. Ab alto, speres alteri quod feceris. Thread Starter

Sorry, I don't know...

Giorgio likes this.
  9. Acoustic Warrior

Acoustic Warrior I Come From The Water

I just received this killer Tull album from Italy. WLP 2nd pressing of "Stormwatch" that sounds to my ears very, very, very nice.
    Piero Mannucci did a fantastic job to say the least. Fortunate to have it. My modest setup with Pioneer HPM 60's loves it.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

10. dee

dee Senior Member

Was wondering if any takers for this continued, ongoing thread?

It already exists with insightful and unique information.

Was wondering if folks wanted to add to it for more recommendations of some of the best Italian masterings and pressings of international and native artists?

So, I missed the Bowies, although I knew of them for a few years now. But did not know which to purchase. I see some specific Bowie threads have some great recommendations. Why not post a few in this thread? They would likely benefit the European collectors and not the US ones but this is an international forum yes? Shipping to the US fron Italy and Spain and elswhere can be like 1 record for the price of 3. You just don't see the Piero's in the States.

RCA HQ in Italy also mastered and pressed for some Sire Records label artists too. So, Piero & Co. @ RCA also worked quite a few Talking Heads and Pretenders records. Also expensive when including shipping to US. Others?

I was able to grab a Speaking in Tongues LP though for cheap due to a multiple item purchase! I don't have that on vinyl.

The RCA (Victor) wlp's from Italy are pretty cool looking also.

Cheers

Last edited: Nov 30, 2021
    Acoustic Warrior and ParloFax like this.
  11. dee

dee Senior Member

This is interesting, essential too as a collector of music that is from the English language artists and whose records were pressed by RCA Italy. Many white label promos, which I like, but surprised by the number of them!? The number of them perhaps keeps the cost of them maybe a little less expensive for the customer.

Last edited: Dec 1, 2021
  12. dee

dee Senior Member

Have you done this? It would be most helpful and educational...

There are many internstional music-lovers and collectors who are also intersted as collectors of French pressings for various reasons...

13. Jam757

Jam757 Forum Resident

I just landed an Italian Beatles Blue Box from I think 1979 and I’m quite impressed with the pressing and sound quality thus far (listened to parts of Abbey Road and the White Album).

Christophe Lethimonnier and dee like this.
  14. dee

dee Senior Member

The Speaking in Tongues LP, I'm liking. Piero 1B7, 1A5. 1983. It's been about the only TH record I've never really enjoyed the sound of. Often too clean, dry, sterile, clinical,distant, cold, one-dimensional, to my ears and mind, but I'm enjoying the sound of this one more. More engaging to me. Unfortunately my TT wouldn't track the 1st 15 seconds of each side without a few skips, else VG+/+.

15. azn131

azn131 Well-Known Member

Hello!
    What about sound quality of Pink Floyd releases? They were pressed by EMI Italiana S.p.A
    Es. The Dark Side Of The Moon, Wish You Were Here, Animals all from 1973-75-77 respectively

I was thinking to buy an italian press of this album, thanks for your review. Maybe I will find an European press...

dee likes this.
  16. LFSDoc

LFSDoc time has told me not to ask for more

I have a rare 7" by an Italian band (i Fantom's) which has a small "Sedrim" stamp glued to the label, possibly because the record company (Musical Time) might have the records pressed before paying the mechanical rights... (nice thread!)
    Doc

Crimson Witch likes this.
  17. I bought this early-ish Italian pressing of Genesis's "Nursery Cryme" a few months ago. I have no other vinyl version to compare it to, but it sounds amazing to my ear; great DR and warmth + very quiet vinyl, a not easy combo to find, I gather, with the original Charismas from the UK... The laminated cover is non-gatefold, but the print quality/solid colors are a very nice aesthetic plus.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 24, 2022
  18. Good call. I half-reluctantly left behind a 1976 French Apple pressing of the White Album yesterday night. The price was sort of OK, but it had not-so-good looking semi-fine scratches marring a few of my favorite quiet tracks... ...Yet the album as a whole looked so sweet... I'd love to know how this particular pressing sounds.

dee likes this.
  19. azn131

azn131 Well-Known Member

I bought a Pink Floyd - Animals used copy. It's 1st Italian press made by EMI Italiana S.p.A, graded as VG+ close to NM.
    I'll give it a spin on my TT and then write my toughts here.

The 1st Italian issue is recognizable by these matrices (side A / side B, source pinkfloydarchives):
    1. 98434-A - 30-12-76 I / 98434-B - 30-12-76 I (both stamped)
    2. 98434-A 30-12-76 I 3 / 98434-B 30-12-76 I 3 (both stamped)
    3. 98434-A 30-12-76 / 98434-B 7-1-77 (both stamped)
    4. 98434-A 30-12-76 I / 98434-B 7-1-77 II (both stamped)
    5. 98434-A 7-1-77 II / 98434-B 7-1-77 II (both stamped)
    Cheers :)

20. azn131

azn131 Well-Known Member

I received the record this morning.
    Initially, I was happy because it's a 1st pressing with 30-12-1976 I matrices both sides, then I saw two scratches...
    The A-side scratch is a very thin line found on the Dogs track. The tics begin to repeat themselves towards the middle of the song.
    The second scratch is on side B and it too is a very thin line - less than that of side A - which begins to create some problems while playing the song "Sheep".
    Apart from these problems, the sound is okay but there is still the feeling of closed, suffocating, typical of the official recording..

I paid 36 euros for this copy, too much.

21. TheHutt

TheHutt Forum Resident

I have two Italian records. No, actually, three.

1) The Beatles - A Hard Day's Night. This version from the 70s with an English title. The Beatles - A Hard Day's Night

2) The Beatles - Revolver. Interestingly, according to Discogs, it's from 1976, but it uses original UK -1/-1 metal parts that were out of use in UK by that time. The Beatles - Revolver

3) The Beatles - S/T. In a German 1968 toploader cover, but it's a strange hybrid: record 1 is an Italian pressing, and record 2 is a German pressing, both from 1968. I have seen the same configuration being sold elsewhere, so I wonder if this was actually a legit version, and not just a switcheroo.

22. Christophe Lethimonnier

Christophe Lethimonnier Forum Resident

Hello everyone ! :wave:

Rather than scattering in different threads talking about quality foreign pressings, I thought it best to dedicate a single thread to these; it's worth it because the world of vinyl reminds me of the oceans: 80% of the seabed is unexplored and full of unsuspected treasures! Also, if you have pressings ( 33 rpm, 45 rmp, CD...), maybe the best would be to discuss it in Club Marta!?
    Here :

let's talk about our pressing of ALVEAR (Led Zep, AC / DC, CCR, Young ... and others ...)

Christophe