Records that you have that were immediately withdrawn

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Larry Geller, Aug 14, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. geo50000

geo50000 Forum Resident

I almost forgot...
    2 genuine copies of "Introducing The Beatles" , version 1.
    ...only in stores for around 2-3 weeks.

Michael P and Larry Geller like this.
  2. Baba Oh Really

Baba Oh Really Certified "Forum Favorite"

I had the "Public Image" CD that had the alternate track listing (side 2 playing before side 1). I somehow let that slide through my hands, because I didn't realize it was rare at the time.

3. c-eling

c-eling Dinner's In The Microwave Sweety

Prince-Original Album Series

bataclan2002 and Mylene like this.
  4. I have first edition copies of Appetite For Destruction by Guns 'n' Roses and Open Up and Say Aaah! by Poison, both with their original withdrawn covers.

Giorgio, gitters and c-eling like this.
  5. mooseman

mooseman Forum Resident

I have that album, what's different about the song, Don't Worry.

6. jimod99

jimod99 Daddy or chips?

I have that, it was the first UK cd pressing and was a pressing error, not too difficult to track down, and certainly not expensive.

7. mooseman

mooseman Forum Resident

1.Grateful Dead - Aoxomoxoa, The First warner brothers pressing was called back after a couple of months or so. Gracie didn't like the mix. I have a copy of this record.
    It's much different from the standard stereo edition that everyone is accustom to.
    2.Neil Young's first solo album was also called back, Neil didn't like the mix on it. Both these albums are very collectable.

John Buchanan likes this.
  8. Chris DeVoe

Chris DeVoe RIP Vickie Mapes Williams (aka Equipoise)

I wish I could find one with the fully produced version of the song God Give Me Strength with Kirsten Vigard's lovely voice instead of Elvis' ugly croaking.

9. Sytze

Sytze Senior Member

The "U2" EP (on CD) by Negativland, which was immediately withdrawn due to objections by Bono & Co. that it looked like an EP by U2 called Negativland while in fact it was the other way around of course. Contains samples of I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For.
    My record dealer had to send them all back to be destroyed I believe but kept one for me!

Man at C&A and Rooster_Ties like this.
  10. Sytze

Sytze Senior Member

Really? I have that. Didn't know it was rare though. Only paid one Euro, and I do see some more UK copies every once in a while.

11. moomaloo

moomaloo All-round good egg

The only one I have (as far as I can remember) is the recent-ish Parlophone 7" of Please Please Me with the wrong cut of the song. Not sure if that one is actually 'rare' though...

12. ernie11

ernie11 Senior Member

Three Dog Night's "It Ain't Easy" with the band members naked on the LP cover.

13. Alan2

Alan2 Forum Resident

I bought one of these when it came out. Of course, if I'd known what was gonna happen, I'd have bought a couple more. :D

I also have Pentangle: Anniversary. (CD, Hypertension, 1994?). Also immediately withdrawn.

14. carrolls

carrolls Forum Resident

Off the top of my head, I also have that Negativland/U2 EP on CD.
    Dave Brubeck Time Out Dual Disc
    Aerosmith Rocks SACD

15. As I recall the song was dropped. There were copyright issues.

16. Sytze

Sytze Senior Member

I have the first pressing of a box set by Serge Gainsbourg, Le Cinema De Serge Gainsbourg, that has the song La Fille Qui Fait Tchic-Ti-Tchic. On later pressings, this was omitted. Also copyright reasons I believe.

Mr Sam and Mylene like this.
  17. skyjelly

skyjelly Forum Resident

Yes, Yoko Ono took issue with it. IIRC it was supposed to be recorded for her "Every Man Has A Woman" collection, but when it showed up on Whammy! she was unhappy about it. Later versions of Whammy! replaced the track with a remix of "There's A Moon In The Shy" called "Moon '83".

18. Mylene

Mylene Senior Member

Got both of those.

Gulliver Smith ~ Don't Keep Doing it Duke (Mighty)

c-eling likes this.
  19. October Man

October Man I am the October Man, I dream of many things

The Dear Mr. President debut album. Produced by Mick Jones of Foriegner. It was withdrawn soon after release as the Whitehouse has the copyright on that name. I think the album was re-released under the name of Flesh And Blood.
    A 50 pence Charity/Thrift shop find :)

[​IMG]

20. stepeanut

stepeanut The gloves are off

At one time, I owned the following:

Jimi Hendrix - Live and Unreleased: The Radio Show (withdrawn Castle UK 3CD set)
    Roddy Frame - Sister Shadow (unreleased UK CD single)
    Duffy - I Love My Friends (original, unreleased Indolent UK CD)
    The Strokes - Is This It? (original, unreleased US CD, with "New York City Cops")

All long gone, unfortunately. There likely were others that I cannot recall.

21. john lennonist

john lennonist There ONCE was a NOTE, PURE and EASY...

Not a record, but a CD:

Paul McCartney
    "From A Lover to a Friend"
    Rare, Recalled CD single

22. TheLazenby

TheLazenby Forum Resident In Memoriam

Ahhhhhh, yes. Wish Weird Al's unreleased cover version of that (and I do mean the Gilligan's Island parody version) would turn up someday.

As one would expect, this is what also inspired his "Beverly Hillbillies" mash-ups with Miss You and Money For Nothing.

23. Another fun fact: the band was fronted by one Julian Raymond, who later produced the last two Glen Campbell albums and had previously dragged it up in a pop band called Bang Bang.

InStepWithTheStars likes this.
  24. Larry Geller

Larry Geller Surround sound lunatic Thread Starter

I have this one.

audiomixer likes this.
  25. Larry Geller

Larry Geller Surround sound lunatic Thread Starter

I have both of these.

mooseman likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.