Recordshops Amsterdam

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Changeling, Apr 23, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Changeling

Changeling Aut disce aut discede Thread Starter

I'm going to be in Amsterdam for work June 5-6 but arriving on the 4th so I have a couple of hours to spend in the city.
    Is there any recordshops that I should visit. Used CD's is what I'm looking for and jazz in particular.

2. emmodad

emmodad Forum Resident

Hej!

It's been some years :-( since I've been to Amsterdam, but one favorite with a large selection was Concerto at Utrechtsestraat 52-60. Perhaps others can chime in as to how it is today.

Have a great visit.

3. namretsam

namretsam Senior Member

Concerto is probably the only worthwhile stop. Especially if your taste strays from Rock, Soul and Pop. In the same location since the 50's , they may be one of the longest running remaining stores in Europe at this point. They close at 6 except for Thursday and like most businesses in Holland, 6 means 6! If your records are not on the counter at 5:59, you may have to come back the next day to buy them. I'm not kidding.
    The rest of the small stores (or what's left of them in 2014...) are scattered,disheveled and seem not open most of the time. But having said that, there are more fun ways to spend ones time in Amsterdam than trolling for vinyl.

Last edited: Apr 23, 2014
    Tree of Life likes this.
  4. Henley

Henley Forum Resident

Fame is always worthy of a visit. No used cds but very good deals on box sets and limited editions (sometimes even cheaper than Amazon).

5. Henley

Henley Forum Resident

Still great, I visit at least once a week and they always have a lot of fresh stock in the used cd section. Also check out the used audiophile cd section with MFSL, SHM and AF.

6. Echo

Echo Forum Resident

7. Riccardo2

Riccardo2 Forum Resident

Fame closed years ago in Amsterdam...

8. Yorick

Yorick Senior Member

9. Yorick

Yorick Senior Member

No Fame is still open, it just moved away from the corner of Dam Square to shopping centre Magna Plaza, just behind the Palace on Dam Square.

10. Riccardo2

Riccardo2 Forum Resident

No kidding? Never knew that.

Yorick likes this.
  11. tsead

tsead Forum Resident

Yorick likes this.
  12. tsead

tsead Forum Resident

13. tsead

tsead Forum Resident

http://www.recordmania.nl/store/ is a bit expensive, but sometimes they've got great stuff. You'll find it not to far from Concerto.

The shop is in the center of Amsterdam, Ferdinand Bolstr. 30. Open monday to saturday 12.00 – 18.00 hrs. tel.: 020-6209912. For the location you can look at the city-map . It’s a great shop with a lot of collectables! Since 1994 a well known address for many record lovers. If you come to visit Amsterdam and you see a record you would like to buy, please send me an e-mail a few days before as not all the records are in the shop.

14. tsead

tsead Forum Resident

15. Sander

Sander Senior Member

If you're looking for Jazz CD's also check out Rush Hour: http://www.rushhour.nl

Among other things, this shop specializes in reissues of rare and obscure 60's and 70's stuff.

The shop is located at Spuistraat 98 which is very near to Fame. Most of the CD's and vinyl they sell are conveniently on the website, so you can decide in advance whether Rush Hour is worth a visit.

16. bibijeebies

bibijeebies vinyl hairline spotter

The current clerk is a bit of a jerk though, so beware!
    I personally do not find Recordfriend expensive, clerk Gerrit puts a lot of records in the discount bins on a weekly basis.

17. tsead

tsead Forum Resident

I should have added IMO. I'll check that shop ouf again soon.

18. kippenhok

kippenhok Forum Resident

I find it varies. Sometimes I walk out of there with good deals, but other times I shake my head in disbelief and walk away.

I also find they don't stuck as much good stuff as they used to. Hoping that's just a temporary thing.

No cd's, though, which I think is what the OP is looking for.

19. Paranoid Android

Paranoid Android Forum Resident

leave some for me, I will be there June 16th and 17th. Two Pearl Jam shows @ the Ziggo Dome.

20. Yorick

Yorick Senior Member

True, there was a time when the € 1,- bins were filled with amazing albums like Sagittarius' Present Tense for example. The good stuff is mostly seriously prized these days.

21. Changeling

Nice, thanks people!
    @tsead I might contact you. Don't know yet what time I'll land on the 4th.

tsead likes this.
  22. Jvalvano

Jvalvano Senior Member

In case you get thirsty. I was here just a few weeks ago. A great beer place. Very friendly staff who enjoy serving a great selection of beer. :cheers:

In De Wildeman - One of the best beer bars in Amsterdam, Wildeman is located at Kolksteeg 3, 1012 PT Amsterdam (tel: 020-6382348), halfway between Centraal Station and the Dam. While they specialize in Belgian and Dutch beers, if you fancy German beer, you can ask for the German beer list too. Belgian beers are usually served on the tap. The bottled beer selection is less Belgian dominated than typical Dutch bars and once can find more than 40 Dutch beers, 20 German and 10 British ones. It is a bit difficult to locate, so arm youself with a map available on their website or from Google Maps.

Changeling likes this.
  23. christopher

christopher Forum Neurotic

Changeling likes this.
  24. Riccardo2

Riccardo2 Forum Resident

If you want beer you can also check out "Arend's nest". They only have dutch beer but do have a lot of different ones. Also the bartenders do know a lot about the Dutch beers.

25. Changeling

Gotta love hoffmanians delievering solutions for the thirsty collector :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.