Red Hot Chili Remasters Out Today

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by KLM, Mar 11, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. KLM

KLM Senior Member Thread Starter

I got an email from one of my new release updates that the "Chili Pepper" remasters were released today. They are remastered with additional bonus tracks. Has anyone purchased any of these and what are your thoughts on:

-the sound of these discs versus the original
    -the sound of the new remastered "Mother's Milk" vs. the MFSL cd
    -the quality of the new bonus tracks

I love the Peppers but don't want to rebuy their catalog if the supposed "new and improved versions" are louder, brighter, more compressed and digitally distorted as many newly remaster cds are.

Any thoughts?!?!

2. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

If their last two standard CD releases are anything to go by.......:(

3. chrischross

chrischross New Member

Ahhh -- that's why I'm seeing their back catalog widely available in the used bins lately. Time to pick up some bargains!!

The last two titles have been under the Warner banner. The remasters are from EMI. Any indication of who the mastering engineer is here??? Might be OK if EMI has their house in order.

4. mjb

mjb Senior Member

Collectors should note that the advances featured a slightly different tracklist than the commercial releases with regards to bonus tracks... This is mostly in favor of the latter (with even more tracks added), but there is at least one track on the promos that was not included in the retail version.

5. KLM

Thanks for the posts but...........can anyone actually comment on the sound of the new remasters????????????

6. NoTinEar

NoTinEar Suspended

KLM,

I picked up mothers milk. I haven't listened to it enough to give a total opinion. I will say that is definitely louder then the mfsl version and I am thinking at this point has more compression going on. I'll let you know what else i think about the sound quality after I listen to the cd some more back to back a few more times. However, I will say from a completest or fan standpoint, there are some reasons to want to own this cd version. I will post my opinion on that part of my comment later also. Hope this gives you some info.

7. KLM

NoTinEar,
    Thanks for your thoughts. I of course have already broken down and ordered all four of the remastered titles sight unseen and hearing unheard. I hope I'm not terribly disappointed. But as you say, as a completist, I also wanted the bonus tracks. It's hard to think of a Chili Peppers even more louder than the original release and they are usually maxed out on volume already. I'll share my thoughts when they arrive in the mail soon.

Thanks.

8. NoTinEar

NoTinEar Suspended

KLM,

This is for you and anyone else interested in these. Let me start by addressing the reason, at least from the completest standpoint why someone would want to own the remastered Mothers Milk album. I couldn't make specific reference to the other three album's that came out, other then I know they have extra tracks also. First of all the album was remastered by Robert Vosgien at Capitol Mastering. The back of the case states "all tracks 24bit digitally remastered", for whatever that is worth. So obviously you get bonus tracks, which is always a plus for a completest or hardcore fan. You can see from the list below that tracks 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, and 19 are all bonus tracks. That's a significant amount in my opinion and that alone would justify the cost for the remaster. Looking deeper at the notes the included though adds some interesting information. It states in the notes for th e cd that "tracks 10, 15, and 16 are original versions as the band recorded them and intended them for releases, before they were edited by the label While KNOCK ME DOWN existed in a stereo mix, perhaps indicating that this version was considered, the others (15 and 16 i assume*notinear) were necessarily mixed down from the original multi-track tapes, under the supervision of the original producer Micchael Beinhorn. At the artist's request (red hot chili peppers obviously *notinear), PRETTY LITTLE DITTY as been restored to its original 3-minute version in the album sequence, while the longer versions of KNOCK ME DOWN and SEXY MEXICAN MAID are offered as bonus tracks."

So essentially the original version if PRETTY LITTLE DITTY, that is the version that was on the old version of the album, doesn't exist on this album at all. The version that appears on the remastered cd in the original sequence, is the version they talk about in the notes and is different then what appears on the old version, at least on the mo-fi cd version. So essentially the core songs aren't totally the same as the original either. This may or may not be a reason for you to get rid of the original if you have, but it is in my opinion something else that is unique and adds value to purchasing the remaster. So your essentially getting KNOCK ME DOWN and SEXY MEXICAN MAID in the version the RHP wanted you to hear as bonus tracks and your getting the PRETTY LITTY DITTY in the version that RHP wanted you to hear and no other version.

I hope this info helped you out some more and sense you do seem like a completest you can see at least for this album you definitely didn't go wrong with purchasing it. I still haven't formed any further opinions on the sound quality other then i definitely stand by what i stated so far. I will post more once i have heard it enough to make further judgments.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.