Rega Apollo-R CD player

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Art K, Jul 10, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JoeV

JoeV Forum Resident

Short story

I'm suspect those new Regas might benefit from this

Get a Monster HTS 1000 MKIII. (Thank you Barry Diament for recommending this!) They are usually available on Amazon, and I'm pretty sure there is a 30 day return policy if you don't like it. This unit made my audio system sound much better because it removed loads of noise and distortion. My CDP never mistracks now. OP, I remember that was starting to feel a real nervous kind of stress before due to the tracking problems. I simply keep everything plugged into the filtered outlets.

I don't know why I waited so long to try this in my system. Some inner expectation that the sound would somehow sound "filtered' or lacking in dynamics. My system is just as dynamic now and I can play louder because of the crazy distortion is no longer there. System sounds clearer and cleaner. Low volume listening is improved.

The other suggestion I have for folks with mistracking OLDER CDPs is to put the player on random repeat (or regular repeat) on a longish (timing) CD. Leave going at least 12 hours. Check the performance. If no improvement repeat in 24 hour intervals until it starts working. I think the temperature may be a factor with colder temps being more prone to mistracking. .

I will post some real background on my CDP issues at some point (Naim CD3.5 and a Quad 99CDP-2) but I have the flu right now and am having trouble staying awake. I still remember how confusing it was having two unrelated CDPs starting to malfunction in the same week...........

Good Luck
    Joe

2. Art K

Art K Retired but not tired! Thread Starter

To my ears those filtered outlets (and I have used a number of them) wreck the sound, unfortunately.

3. mwicks

mwicks Forum Resident

I've tried my Apollo through the filtered outlets of APC and Belkin power conditioners and a little "Isoblock" noise filter/surge protector and it still behaved the same way. It's currently connected to the filtered outlet of the Belkin actually.

4. Ntotrar

Ntotrar Forum Resident

I have mine connected to a Tripplight Isobar 8 Ultra.

5. Unplugging the player for a few hours, plugging it into power conditioners, etc. seems a pretty far fetched way to deal with a CD tracking problem. I'll try both, though.

6. Classicrock

Classicrock Senior Member

:righton: I f this appears to have cured the problem I suspect the real reason is the player was moved and something in the laser mech has been freed up. (just a coincidence). I suggest unplug the filtering crap and see if there is now a difference.

7. rpd

rpd Senior Member

Is this issue just on the Apollo-r, or is the Saturn-r also experiencing these issues?

8. By the way, unplugging the CD player for a day and then plugging it back in fixed the tracking issue forevermore. Who woulda thunk?

I've since sold the Apollo-R, although I still have the Brio-R and the Rega DAC.

bhazen likes this.
  9. dbsea

dbsea Forum Resident

I know this is a pretty old thread, but unplugging a component rather than just turning it off is a fairly common thing to do when troubleshooting electronic devices such as computer equipment. The reason being is that when plugged in, even when off, the device is still drawing some power, potentially maintaining certain error states.

For example, check out how these instructions often involve unplugging the power cable (just a random example that I recall from my sysadmin days):

http://docs.oracle.com/cd/E19121-01/sf.x4440/820-2396-18/spissues2.html

10. ALAN SICHERMAN

ALAN SICHERMAN Van Cortlandt Park, Bronx, NY

I know this is an old thread but I feel the need to reply.

I bought a Rega Apollo when the first went on sale a few months before the
    R version came out. I paid $850.00. I ran for two years and then died. I brought
    it back to the dealer and they send it to Rega's guy in CA (I had to pay the
    $130 or so for shipping!). after I got it back it ran for another two years
    and the same thing happened. Then they wanted $350.00 to fix which I
    would not do.

I believe that when they were working on releasing the R model, they emptied
    the warehouse of all older, problematic stuff and that's what I ended up with.
    I would advise anyone who wants a CD player, new or used, to avoid Rega
    to buy something else.

11. mwicks

mwicks Forum Resident

Any details on what exactly was repaired? If the laser unit is failing, replacements can be purchased online for pretty cheap (around $40).

ls35a likes this.
  12. ALAN SICHERMAN

Both times, when I put the disc in, the screen read no disc. I also thought that the $300 range was a lot. I'm not much of a mechanic and I had read that it was always best to go through the dealer. After the first problem I figured they should take it easy on me but I guess I'm a little naive. Btw, when I expressed my dissatisfaction with the price of the repair, the dealer said I could pay the repair people directly which would save a few. Before the Rega I had a Pioneer 414 DVD player that ran like a top for years. A $1,200.00 CD player on sale for $850.00 should not have to be repaired twice for the same problem in four years.

ls35a likes this.
  13. cdtommie

cdtommie Forum Resident

I too have had the "no disc" problem twice, both times repaired under warranty. Prior to the first failure, I had issues with reading discs and skipping. My warranty will run out in August unfortunately.

ls35a likes this.
  14. mwicks

mwicks Forum Resident

Mine currently has disc reading + skipping issues, so eventually I suspect it will completely fail. The power cycle trick works sometimes but the problems always come back.

If you search for Rega Apollo on Aliexpress there are plenty of sellers with the laser assembly (it's manufactured by Sanyo). Eventually I plan to grab one and see if it helps, they're only around $30-40. At this point I don't really want to sink much money into repairs, though it is a nice CD player when it's working.

15. ls35a

ls35a Forum Resident

I had disc reading problems (rare, but VERY annoying) with an original Apollo and Saturn.

I've kind of sworn off Rega electronics after that. And that's a shame but there it is.

ALAN SICHERMAN likes this.
  16. bhazen

bhazen GOO GOO GOO JOOB

If you want the Rega digital sound (which I think is wonderful), just get the current DAC and feed it from a video deck or cheap CD deck. I did that for years with my Panasonic DVD player, the sound was organic and groovin'.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2018
    smctigue likes this.
  17. ALAN SICHERMAN

Me too. I left the damn thing at the dealer!

18. bruce2

bruce2 Forum Resident

I remember when the Apollo-R was first released, and I eagerly went to the dealer as soon as he got one to check it out. I was ready to buy, but I could tell right away that the transport seemed iffy and finicky just playing a disc and skipping tracks. After reading about all the problems people have had I'm glad I trusted my instinct and didn't buy one!

ALAN SICHERMAN likes this.
  19. PJC68

PJC68 Forum Resident

I have had my Rega apollo R for 6 years now and the Rega Dac R pluged in to it for over a year now, i have only had "no disc" twice and just switched it off for 2 seconds then back on again, it will help if you leave it on 24/7/365, i use RA/Kimber reference powercords with mine
    Make sure your discs are clean and not scratched, also lift the lid up and look at the lens where the laser comes out with a magnifying glass, because even a tiny hair trapped on the lens can make the cd skip/jump, remove the hair with a pair of plastic tweezers, i use a blower like what photographers use to blow dust off the lens (dont blow too hard)
    Dont rush the track selection as well because this can confuse the Apollo R
    Like i said leave it on 24/7 and it should be fine

bhazen likes this.
  20. ls35a

ls35a Forum Resident

Can anyone think of another less than full size alternative to the Apollo-R?

I wish Exposure would make a cd player for their new 'XM' line of half-width electronics.

bhazen likes this.
  21. bhazen

bhazen GOO GOO GOO JOOB

Cyrus makes a bunch, and very well-regarded by the UK audio press. May be tough to find a dealer here in the US, not sure.

Hifi Kenny likes this.
  22. ls35a

ls35a Forum Resident

Just got an email from Exposure. They say they're working on a cd player for the XM line later this year.

To me that's worth waiting for ....

bhazen likes this.
  23. bhazen

bhazen GOO GOO GOO JOOB

Ohh, yeah. I first heard my current Graham/Chartwell's with an Exposure amp -- a 3010? -- just let the music shine through. I'd love to hear a CD deck from them.

I have to say though, Rega's current problems with CD players make me sad. When they work, they're fantastic. A Rega DAC remains my #1 choice to replace my Naim CD5 if it ever croaks.

24. Greenalishi

Greenalishi Birds Aren’t Real

The Exposure XM cd player is interesting. Slim and a peculiar top loader. Pretty sharp looking. Not sure on the sound. Anyone heard one?

25. Art K

Art K Retired but not tired! Thread Starter

I now very happily own a Border Patrol DAC SE. Best sounding digital I've owned or heard.

jusbe likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.