Rega DAC owners/fans/knowledgeable folks come on in here.... (please).

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by dnuggett, Feb 23, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. antskip

antskip New Member

Great! My experience exactly. But how does one change the filter setting? Mine has defaulted to 3. No idea how!...(the manual makes no sense to me)

2. antskip

antskip New Member

Since my last post, I have figured out how to change filter settings. I had been on 1, not on 3 (as I had thought - 3 had actually been the frequency number for CD playing I think). I have just spent an hour or so comparing filters using the same source material. Didn't like 3 at all for some reason, so just switched between 1 and 2. (first using the second silver button on the DAC-R box, then using a Solaris remote). Filter 1 seems to me the more transparent, punchy; but occasionally too honest. Filter 2 quite the opposite effect - softer, sweeter, more whimsical, without the high and lows of 1; less punch, but a gorgeous sound when just right. An antidote to any harshness. Funny, I don't equate Rega with filters! (smile). For now I will leave it on setting one - apparently what Rega suggests as the initial setting. Can't say I understand it all yet. I guess it is nice to be able to soften the sound on the fly when one feels like it....So quite a bit of discovery yet to do once I have a DAC-R full-time!

3. Krzysztof Maj

Krzysztof Maj Forum Resident

Hello,
    I am thinking for Rega DAC-R to replace my Beresford CMII and couple it with Marantz PM6004 and Dali's Mentor 2. Anyone can chime in with knowledge if it can be a significant upgrade in terms of sound? I've read the DAC-R Stereophile review, but not found anywhere else the DAC-R measurements done to compare them with those on the Stereophile.

I am already using TOSLINK, but trying to find the good USB implementation with galvanic separation and DAC with good LPSU as well. Other choices could de MDAC or Rotel 1580, but they USB seems to be not so good as REGA one, am I right?

4. TVC15

TVC15 Forum Resident

I've owned two.... the original half-width that lacked hi-res via USB and the more recent DAC-R.

My suggestion is to avoid the original units. Not only because of the USB limitation, but also because of a horrific bass bloat I experienced at CD resolution via coax or toslink input. It wasn't always always evident, but when it was it was distracting and detrimental to "prat". I was one of the very first owners of the DAC in the U.S. upon release, and had voiced my concerns long before the Stereophile review which also points out the same (via measurements and listening tests). Even Dorgay called it a 'bass monster', but no DAC should be that.

Note that I never heard this bloat at high resolutions, or on later units.

5. Krzysztof Maj

Krzysztof Maj Forum Resident

So, are you already an owner of the DAC-R? If so, you suggestion is to go for it or not? I am not considering the first iteration of the DAC, but the second one which is DAC-R.

6. TVC15

TVC15 Forum Resident

I owned both, no longer own either. It wasn't clear to me if you were considering used. Hence my gentle steering towards the DAC-R. I eventually moved on to a integrated solution.

If you are looking for answers from us, you'll do better by scheduling a demo with a local dealer and deciding for yourself.

7. russk

russk Forum Resident

I am a fan of the DAC-r. I picked one up to replace a Peachtree DACitx and love it. Listened to lots of DACs before deciding on it. IMHO at the price it is one of the best if not the best DAC out there. I qualified that statement as I have not heard the Gungnir Multibit. At 1200 dollars the Rega DAC-r or Schiit Gungnir Multibit are where I'd put my money.

The Rega just has a natural presentation. Instruments sound real. Huge soundstage and great bass and the USB input is just as good as the toslink. Even the filters are handy for poorly mastered CD rips. All that and the build quality is great.

Ntotrar likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.