Rega introduces the new Rega Planar 6 Turntable

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by btf1980, Jul 15, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TVC15

TVC15 Forum Resident

You are comparing the Ania MC to the Elys MM moreso than P3 vs P6. Kind of a nonsense comparison and has nothing to do with the tables.

displayname and willboy like this.
  2. chacha

chacha Forum Resident In Memoriam

Everything factors in.

3. TVC15

TVC15 Forum Resident

No. The diffs between Elys2 and Ania are far greater than diffs between any Rega tables I’ve owned (and that’s a few).

Especially when the poster is attributing the diffs to the tables moreso than the carts.

99% of the diffs are due to the carts. Elys and Ania are worlds apart.

H8SLKC and Dan Steele like this.
  4. Mean Dorris

Mean Dorris Forum Resident

Um, yeah, I did say this?

"I am putting the bulk of the difference down to the Ania/Fono MC versus the Elys 2 going direct. I am not sure how much audio difference I would hear were the Ania/Fono MC on the P3, other than the potential advantages of better speed stability and lower noise floor."

I also described other physical differences between the tables.

Sure if you want a direct comparison of purely the tables you would the same cart in both.

jon9091 and chacha like this.
  5. TVC15

TVC15 Forum Resident

that would require reading all the way to the end, but i had dismissed your post as BS long before that.

6. Howard Lunt

Howard Lunt Well-Known Member

I can relate.

Upstateaudio and Dan Steele like this.
  7. Mean Dorris

Mean Dorris Forum Resident

You're nice.

Not my problem if you can't treat your ADHD.

8. willboy

willboy Forum Resident

Now now boys..behave yourselves. :tsk:

9. Agreed. Petty arguments are no fun

10. Howard Lunt

Howard Lunt Well-Known Member

This is too funny. I thought I was the only one... went from my black AT LP120 to the Gloss black Rega... no questions asked. Lol.
    I did get in trouble when she found my new sub woofer box I stupidly left in the basement.

11. avanti1960

avanti1960 Forum Resident

sorry if this has been covered but i could not find this info searching this thread-
    has anyone compared the sound of the P6 to the RP8? thank you.

12. KT88

KT88 Senior Member

Not directly, but having heard them separately, it seems that it would take that to hear much difference. The RP8 was the inspiration for the Planar 6 and as such, the Planar 6 takes many of its core design elements from the RP8. Plinth material is similar, better bearing and subplatter. All bring it closer to the RP8 from the original RP6. The new Neo PSU might further that as well. I will be buying one or the other for myself at some point. Not sure which yet either, but I think it's so close as to not lose any sleep over it.
    -Bill

sacsongs and avanti1960 like this.
  13. TVC15

TVC15 Forum Resident

Might depend on how well you have the table isolated to hear any diff.

14. HBJ

HBJ Forum Resident

RP8 ships with unique features such as the RB808 tonearm, skeleton plinth, triple layer glass platter, hub bearing assembly better than that of the P9 etc.

To say that the new P6, which has none of the above, sounds "so close (to the RP8) as to not lose any sleep over it" seems unlikely.

displayname likes this.
  15. avanti1960

avanti1960 Forum Resident

No offense but I think KT88 (Bill) would know this more than any other member on this site.

sacsongs and HiFi Guy like this.
  16. HBJ

HBJ Forum Resident

None taken, I'm just thinking logically about it:
    The new P6 comes with a $595 tonearm (RB330), whereas the RP8 comes with a $1195 tonearm (RB808).
    Does it seem likely that the new P6 can deliver a sound almost like a RP8, considering that the P6 comes with a tonearm costing half as much as RP8's?

EDIT: And that's just the tonearm. Add to that the other differences I listed above.

willboy likes this.
  17. swvahokie

swvahokie Forum Resident

Bill (KT88) is one of the few people on this board that has heard both. I know he has had an RP8 in his shop for quite awhile, and the P6 has been out long enough I'm sure he has had a few go through.
    The new P3 was so close to the outgoing RP6, it made the RP6 a questionable value. The new P6 may not be quite as good as the current RP8, it will be much closer than the RP6 is. In fact, it may be close enough to steal sales from the more costlier unit. That being said, wonder how close the P8 is to coming to market.
    The Fremer factory tour videos explained a lot of this. Rega has heavily invested in new technologies the last few years and it is paying off now. They also have learned quite a bit from that 40k test bed table they have been working on.

18. HBJ

HBJ Forum Resident

Fair enough, swvahokie, you make some good points. Maybe I am knitpicking and/or perhaps misunderstanding these words from Bill:

I read that as being "almost the same" which is what I objected to.
    It's no doubt closer to a RP8 than the now discontinued RP6, but I simply do not believe it's "almost the same".
    We'll see when more reviews are published.

I found this review which compares the new P6 with RP8:
    Rega Planar 6 turntable, this year's most anticipated release!

Quote:
    "Although it breaks through to a higher playing field, the Planar 6 is still not quite the match of RP8 whose tonearm, platter, and plinth are still superior. Can't quite afford an RP8 or RP10 but want something comparable? Then Planar 6 is just the ticket."

It seems to be pretty much exactly like you're suggesting above, swvahokie.

Anyway, I have a RP8 which I get so very much enjoyment out of.
    If the new P6 compares then future owners have a lot to look forward to :)

19. swvahokie

swvahokie Forum Resident

Enjoy that RP8, I have heard it at two different dealers, thats a hell of a turntable. Just don't get upset when the P3 2036 model tops it. Progress moves on. ;)

HBJ likes this.
  20. KT88

KT88 Senior Member

The quote from the review is similar to what I was getting at. The new Planar 6 has some similar advantages that the RP8 has over the old RP6, so it is indeed close. The platter of the RP8 is still heavier, and that unit uses twin drive belts, and it has a really light plinth that has been demonstrated to provide a great platform. So there is still some distance there. However the arm on the Planar 6 is excellent and it is close enough that the cartridge chosen will be a huge factor. In my system, I am using a $1k cartridge and it has performed wonderfully on several Rega arms and tables. So my experience with these items tells me that I could easily live with either deck in my system. Sure, the RP8 would be nice, but I am not going to say that I'd not also be thrilled to have the Planar 6 there. So far, over the years, I have had an original Planar 3 (circa 1985), a couple of even older Planar 2 decks, a custom deck that I made a plinth for and used P3 drive components and arm, a P5, and an RP6. So in my system, the new Planar 6 or RP8 are both welcome.
    -Bill

GoldprintAudio likes this.
  21. GoldprintAudio

GoldprintAudio Forum Resident

Having myself sold several P6's already, I don't believe that Bill is trying to say that the P6 is the equal to a 8....more so that the P6 is an incredible value when considering it does come somewhat close to the overall sound of the RP8. Is it as good as the 8, not exactly....but at what is essentially half the price, the new P6 is really quite impressive. Add on to that the fact that the 6 has the adjustable speed PSU, it's going to be a table that's likely an end game for a lot of consumers.

HBJ likes this.
  22. HBJ

HBJ Forum Resident

I got the Neo PSU for my table too, it's nice to put the days with 33,6 rpm behind me!
    (speaking of progress :) )

23. danomar

danomar My spoon is too big.

I auditioned the Planar 6 yesterday. It was very impressive. I like the package: From the individual phono cables to the separate power supply, everything oozed thoughtful attention to detail. It is an incredible value.

GoldprintAudio likes this.
  24. Marshall_SLX

Marshall_SLX Rega P9/RB2000

Quick hypothetical: Australian prices here... and no im not looking at deciding either way... just a hypothetical.

Would you A take a P6/Ania/Neo/Fono MC new or $600ish phono = $3,400
    Or
    B take a RP8/MKII TTPSU/NOS 30 yr old $600 (new rrp price in todays money) MM cart/Phono stage of around $600 = $4,100 (you already have the cart)

Keep in mind you will be living with this setup long term, say at least 3 - 4 yrs.

25. KT88

KT88 Senior Member

Let me get this straight. You are essentially asking if we could have a selective time machine and transport yourself and a new Planar 6 system 30 years in the future, where we would arrive beside what was a new RP8, which is now 30 years old. WTF? Why would anyone choose a 30 year old table over a new table when they are both acceptably nice units? I guess, if the old table was significantly better and it had new belts and any electronics service necessary, then that would make a difference. Certainly the choice between a new Crosley and a vintage (insert any respectable hi-fi turntable) would make sense, but not two tables, so close in design and performance as these. Actually, just the MC cart and preamp would swing me to the 6 even if they were both the same age. Put the MC cart and preamp with the RP8 and I'd maybe then take my chances with it. That's still quite the risk and at a premium.
    -Bill

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.