Rega P3/Super Elys Set Up

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by buster193, Jan 18, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. buster193

buster193 New Member Thread Starter

I don`t have access to a gauge or test record and was wondering from other rega owners what`s the best numbers for VTF and Tracking force. Right Now I have about 1.80 VTF and tracking set between 1 and 2......Another thing when setting the VTF the manual states everything should be set to zero and the arm should float 1mm above the record. the problem is even when I set everything to zero the arm still moves towards the armrest. Any responses from seasoned rega owners would be appreciated......

2. jkerr

jkerr Senior Member

I think you mean VTF & anti-skate. Yes the Rega arm will still swing in when the anti-skate is at "0". Your settings look close. I've got mine at 1.75 and about the same for anti-skate. For the VTF invest in one of those Shure tracking force gauge for about $25 and then you can be certain. As far as I know the anti-skate on the Rega is a best guess. I suppose one of those test records would help but I've never tried one.

3. Sckott

Sckott Hand Tighten Only.

Your VTF and tracking should be set alike as much as possible. So, if the Super Bias says 1.75 (I'm sure it does) then your bias should be the same, or as much as possible.

See: http://www.rega.co.uk/downloads/Planar 3.jpg

They've designed it so both should be adjusted alike. You'll see....

4. sgraham

sgraham New Member

Antiskating is a bit perplexing. There seem to be many opinions about it; these are mine, and I have a lot of experience.

The *exact* correct antiskate will vary from record to record, and even from moment to moment on the same record. It depends on the stylus shape and size, the record material, and the modulation level. So anti-skate calibrations on a tonearm are never entirely to be trusted; and you really can only shoot for a ballpark.

Quick rule of thumb setting: If you set the stylus in a blank part of the record the arm should pull back towards the outside of the disk slightly (if it stands still anti-skate is too low).

Anti-skate test records are nice to have, but they give results that still require some interpretation. For instance, you might get different results with the high range bands than with lower frequencies, or different results at the beginning of the side than at the end. Sometimes when you set it with the test records it just comes out being obviously "too much".

I'd prefer too little rather than too much.

If you hear mistracking distortion primarily coming from one channel, antiskate may be off. Left channel distortion = too much antiskate, right channel distortion = not enough. (But some cartridges will always mistrack more on one channel than the other due to manufacturing tolerances.)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.