Rega RB303 (RP3 turntable) with Audio Technica VM540ML cartridge

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by ozone1, Apr 15, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ozone1

ozone1 Member Thread Starter

Hi

Does anyone have experience of using the above combination and, if so, are there any issues with VTA and alignment?

I note that my current Elys 2 cartridge seems to sit with the arm slightly nose down - I reckon I have to raise it approximately 2mm to bring the cartridge (flat) end of the arm parallel with the record. Given that the height of the Elys is said to be 14mm and the VM540ML 17.5 mm I'm hoping that a 2mm spacer under the arm might be adequate and accurate enough - is that likely to be the case?

I do have one of the Rega variable spacers but it is only in increments of 2mm (2,4,6,8mm) so if I need finer adjustment than that there might be an issue.

Are there any preferences for best general alignment?

Finally, do others get good sound from this combination - I realise there are many other system variables but it would be interesting to know.

Thanks

2. punkmusick

punkmusick Amateur drummer

If the Elys 2 is nose down, wouldn't a higher cartridge level the arm?

3. daytona600

daytona600 Forum Resident

headshell Spacers , Shims , VTA Spacers or 3/5mm platter mat
    rega arms just have zero inbuilt adjustment unlike every other arm on the market

4. KT88

KT88 Senior Member

2mm is correct for optimizing most every aftermarket cartridge. 4mm will work also, but might be a bit brighter sounding than you'd like. Trying to get things within 1mm on the back end results in extremely small changes to the actual stylus rake angle.
    -Bill

5. ozone1

ozone1 Member Thread Starter

Sorry for the long delay in getting back to this and many thanks for the helpful replies. 2mm spacer should do it.

I've ordered my cart and will probably fit it w/e after next - so will report back when it's up and running.

If anyone does have info on the sound quality of that pairing I'd be interested, but I'm committed now!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.