Rega RP6 vs. Music Hall mmf7.3

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Ben Wehmann, Jan 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ben Wehmann

Ben Wehmann New Member Thread Starter

I currently have a Pro-Ject Debut Carbon turntable and would really like to upgrade, unfortunately where I live there is not a store that carries both the RP6 and mmf7.3. A friend of mine sold me his Ortofon 2m Black cartridge a month or so ago and I do not think that my Debut Carbon is doing it justice. Without a cartridge the tables are within about $100 of each other so not enough to really make a huge difference. However because the mmf7.3 is so new there are not very many reviews available right now. The rest of my setup consists of a Moon 110LP Pre Amp by Simaudio, an old Pioneer amplifier, and some Polk Audio RTi12 speakers. I plan on moving my 2m Black cartridge to whichever table I end up getting and am fairly confident that I have narrowed it down to these two tables which are both around $1,400 - $1,500. I look forward to any and all comments and suggestions. Thank you in advance for your help in making this decision!

2. Good luck Ben. I'm a happy Rega owner and would lean towards the Rega only because I know they are quite capable. Quite frankly, I'd be happy with either choice here.

timztunz likes this.
  3. russk

russk Forum Resident

I own an RP6 and love it. Music Hall is made by the same people that make Project, granted I've only heard a couple of project and Music Hall tables, and I've never heard a table from either that I like.

4. DigMyGroove

DigMyGroove Forum Resident

I've had an MMF-7 for many years really like it. Having looked over the info on the new upgrade I see they've built in electronic speed control for 33/45 into the motor so no more switching the belt or needing to purchase a Pro-Ject a Speed Box anymore. The isolated motor is a great feature, my table runs very quietly, no doubt this new version will be more so. Definite worth checking out.

5. Raider4life

Raider4life Forum Resident

I'm also a MMF-7 owner and it's a great table that I have had for several years.

6. tiger roach

tiger roach Forum Resident

Of those two, I can recommend the Rega RP6 (which I own).

At that price point there are other interesting choices though...wouldn't hurt to look around a little just for fun.

russk likes this.
  7. GoldprintAudio

GoldprintAudio Forum Resident

I've not seen a MMF7.3 in person yet, but I imagine it's a nice table. The RP6 is rock solid, I've sold quite a few of them.....great option at your price point.

8. Ben Wehmann

Hi Tiger Roach,
    Thank you for the input on the Rega, around that same price point do you have any other options that you might recommend I look into? Unfortunately where I live I do not have access to any high end audio shops so I can't just go and check things out. All of my research has to be done through the internet and all of you wonderful people who are willing to share your experience with me!

9. Ben Wehmann

Hello Everyone,

Thank you all for all of your feedback and comments so far, this is definitely helping.

For those of you that have suggested one table over the other would you mind letting me know why you feel the table you recommend is better? Is it just because that is what you have and you love what you have or is there a specific reason you feel one is better?

I was really proud of myself for narrowing my decision down to these two tables, however I am not 100% set on them. If any of you have a table in mind that falls in or relatively close to the $1,500 price range that you would recommend and have specific reasons why I should be interested in it I would love to hear your thoughts as well!

Thanks!!!

10. russk

russk Forum Resident

I love my RP6. It sounds great but a lot of that love is for the practicality of the table. A dust cover is a must for me and so is duribilty and ease of use. If I didn't need that durability I wouldve probably purchased a George Merrill Polytable. I would check that out if I were you. Love that Jelco Arm. It's definitely the most interesting table in your price range.

11. russk

russk Forum Resident

I'd also add that I've never been impressed by the sound, customer service and reliability of project/music hall tables. Rega have been around,seemingly, forever and have a great track record.

12. DigMyGroove

DigMyGroove Forum Resident

The Music Hall MMF-7 I own besides sounding good to me is exceptionally stable given the isolation that's built in to the design. Besides the completely isolated motor it has a double plinth design with sorthobane between the layers as well as three adjustable spiked feet and a built in level. No matter where the table has been placed in my home it has never skipped, enduring amidst creeky old floors with jumping young children.

Throughout my ownership of the table I've mainly used the Goldring High Output MC cartridge it came with and then another when the time came to replace due to wear. I had my second Goldring rebuilt by The Soundsmith after an accident damaged the cantilever and it sounded even better. While the Goldring was out of commission I used a Denin DL-110 and liked that cart to, but the Goldring offers a much more detailed and realistic sound. I briefly used a Clearaudio Virtuoso Wood MM cart with the MMF-7 but did not care for it's sound.

13. tiger roach

tiger roach Forum Resident

I can sympathize with your lack of stereo shops, they are pretty much extinct here too.

First of all, don't interpret my comment as being negative about the RP6, that table really sounds great in my system. I have the Exact cartridge. It was a big upgrade from my trusty Planar 1.

Another one I looked at was the VPI Scout. A little more expensive than the RP6 but not by a lot.

14. GoldprintAudio

GoldprintAudio Forum Resident

In addition to the standard Scout, you could also think about the Scout JR, which is basically the same price as the RP6.

15. pick-me-up

pick-me-up Straight shooter from S/FI

That’s is a very good cartridge, IIRC. You are not thinking to get Pro-Ject again? A finer and better TT with better arm compared to Debut Carbon.
    But as stated already, there are many great options as well. The biggest concern for me would be the arm. (I’m sorry, if I sound like a some kind of expert … I’m not!)

Last edited: Jan 13, 2016
  16. Ben Wehmann

I have actually been emailing George Merril at GEM Dandy and I am thinking that I am going to go with one of his PolyTables with the Jelco SA-750D tonearm. Does anyone here have any reason I should avoid this particular setup? Everything I have read about his tables makes them seem pretty amazing. If anyone has any experience listening to them please let me know what you think.

russk likes this.
  17. Raider4life

Raider4life Forum Resident

It sounds like you can't go wrong with either of your choices based on the people who own them. I don't have anything to add to DigMyGroove's comments. The MMF-7 is a great table.

18. bajaed

bajaed Forum Resident

I like my MH 7.1 a lot and as stated above, never a skip. I would be happy with a 7.3 but would also like to try a Clearaudio Concept in that price range (really like the look of the Concept Wood for a few hundred more).

I've been to George Merrill ' s shop and have heard his previous entry level table with a suspended platter, wood plinth and Jelco arm. Very, very nice and I'm sure the new Polytable is even better. George is a great guy and really knows what he is doing. Have only heard great things about his products.

Also got to hear his Merrill - Williams table with a Quintet Black and a Dynavector 507 tonearm. Jaw dropping experience.

19. russk

russk Forum Resident

The only reason I didn't get is the lack of a full sized dustcover. It's a beautiful table. Get the most arm you can afford then add his speed control power supply down the road. That was my plan before I decided to stick with the RP6

20. landonspop

landonspop New Member

21. Gary Parker

Gary Parker New Member

I am up against the same question: Rega RP6 or Music Hall mmf 7.3. Making a decision tomorrow. I am leaning toward the Music Hall, simply because it seems to be more substantial, has a DC motor that is isolated from the plinth and arm, has a better (I understand) arm, speed is electronically controlled, and it has a better cartridge. I.e., it just seems to be a better buy for the buck. Rega uses the idea that lighter is better to resist vibrations. I don't think I buy that line. I do believe however that lighter is cheaper to manufacture. I know I'll catch Hell for this, but it just seems that the Rega is oversold.

Vinyl Addict likes this.
  22. Any update OP? Haven't heard from you since your initial postings 6 months back.

23. Long Live Analog

Long Live Analog Forum Resident

I'm a happy RP8/Apheta 2 owner but then again I've used Rega decks for the past 16 years...

24. Catcher10

Catcher10 I like records, and Prog...duh

From an isolation/decoupling perspective, get the mmf-7.3......I have the mmf-7.1 but upgraded to the 9cc tonearm and added a Cruise Control, that took me several steps up.
    I have owned many, many tables in my years of audio and this one is the best performer I have had, considering it's price point you get a ton of audio bang for your buck.

When I have auditioned Rega tables I have never been impressed enough to buy one.......very nice tonearms, although they are not azimuth adjustable (IIRC), which is critical once you jump into the higher end stylus arena like ML, Line Contact or Shibata, these tips require impeccable setup to extract high end sound.

IanL likes this.
  25. Gary Parker

Gary Parker New Member

Catcher10. You're helping push me over the edge (and get the 7.3). Do you find the decoupling really works well on your 7.1? Also, I assume you're talking about the electronic speed control when you say "Cruise Control." Does it help that much?
    Thanks!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.