Rega RP8 vs Rega RP10

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Dr Tone, Jun 29, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. KT88

KT88 Senior Member

Many people have asked about the differences in models of the Rega tables and what benefit there is from upgrading from one model to another. As with any seemingly simple question asked on the WWW, about virtually anything, the person who is seeking real world advice is bombarded by strangely conflicting descriptions and anecdotes by both well meaning but uninformed responders and by those simply trying to stir the pot for their own amusement. In response to such a dilemma for those seeking answers in one location on one question, I consolidated my knowledge on the question into one post. here it is in its entirety:

The Rega RP10 is significantly better. I will detail the differences between the RP 10 and the RP8 here for the benefit of everyone on the forum who gives a crap! As an added bonus, I'll also compare the RP6 and even a bit of the RP3. Each table as you go up in the Rega product line adds a few niceties over the table immediately below it in the product line.

The RP3 is a nice table that has a heavy glass platter and a famously performing tonearm. It has the option of adding the TT-PSU, which is an external speed controller. It also includes a phenolic double bracing structure which reinforces the plinth and accomplishes a more rigid main bearing to tonearm mount. The finish is a semigloss vinyl laminate which is very durable.

The RP6 adds an even heavier glass platter than the one on the RP3 and it adds the extra weight around the perimeter of the platter. The subplatter has a machined aluminum cap on it to add mass and to mate with the platter surface. The phenolic top brace is anodized and looks great against the high gloss painted plinths. Each RP6 comes standard with a TT-PSU power supply and uses the same RB303 arm as found on the RP3 but with a nicer stainless counterweight.

The RP8 tables adds a lot of new goodies. The platter is a yet again heavier glass, this time with two added periphery rings for increased weight and rotational stability. The subplatter is a heavy, solid machined aluminum and features a dual belt system, controlled by the included TT-PSU. The plinth features aluminum/magnesium top brace and a phenolic bottom brace, sandwiching a newly developed foam core laminate which is cut to form a skeletal base for the arm and platter. This creates the lightest and most rigid platform yet implemented by Rega and has eliminated every bit of material which is not required to do the job. The included dustcover is attached to a floating plinth surround which comes in no contact with the main chassis at any point. The tonearm is the new RB808 and delivers exceptional performance.

The RP10 turntable goes further by upgrading the platter with the still heavier and more precisely shaped ceramic material. The included external power supply is of higher specification and is housed in the same extruded aluminum chassis as the Rega Aria phono preamp and DAC. The tonearm is the new top level RB2000 which has no finish applied, rather is a highly polished aluminum surface. All of the other plinth and subplatter concepts from the RP8 are applied here and the result is a very accurate and beautiful product.
    -Bill

Dmann201, BKS, beverett and 10 others like this.
  2. Long Live Analog

Long Live Analog Forum Resident

Bill, thank you. Very informative info...

3. Joey_Corleone

Joey_Corleone Forum Resident

Once again, Bill proves that when it comes to Rega, he is THE MAN. Thanks Bill!

beverett and Long Live Analog like this.
  4. Joey_Corleone

Let's talk about cartridges for an RP10 for a second. I see that you can get the RP10 alone for $5500 USD or the RP10 fitted with the MC Apheta total of $6500 here in the US. However, I see the Apheta by itself goes for around $1800...obviously a good deal if that is your choice...but..

I currently have an Exact MM fitted on my RP3, which goes for about $600. I don't mind splurging every once in a while for a component like the actual turntable, but I am not so sure I want to be committed to replacing $1800 cartridges semi regularly when they wear out. Would the exact do justice to the RP10? What kind of difference is it as opposed to the Apheta?

5. Long Live Analog

Good question and I was thinking the same thing, maybe Bill or others will chime in...

6. GoldprintAudio

GoldprintAudio Forum Resident

The Exact does well on the 8/10, but if you can go for the Apheta2, it's a bargain at the "included" price. I'm not sure that there is a cart out there that will beat it at the $1000 price you are getting it for.

As to the details listed above, these are all correct. However, I am not sure I would call the 10 significantly better. Is it better, absolutely no doubt.......but I think the 8 is a pretty darn good value at it's price.

Long Live Analog likes this.
  7. Dr Tone

Dr Tone Forum Resident Thread Starter

Other than speakers, wouldn't the cartridge be the next best piece to be upgraded in a system over the table itself?

I'm just wondering where the money should be spent in @Joey_Corleone case.

8. Joey_Corleone

I am definitely going to upgrade my TT, no question about it. So, I am not so much worried about that. It is really just a matter of two things for me

1) RP8 or RP10
    2) Do I want to invest in the RP10 with Alpheta fitted knowing full well that I will have to shell out $1800 a pop for the cartridges regularly.

Replacing a $600 Exact every so often is something I don't really look forward to. I'm not sure I would want to be replacing $1800 cartridges, that's all. I don't know about you guys, but $1800 is a lot of money for me. Like I say, no big deal for a one time component purchase, but as something that needs regularly replaced it might be a bit rich for my blood.

9. Long Live Analog

Joey, fwiw I have the same problem, which turntable and which cartridge...

10. KT88

KT88 Senior Member

I don't look at it that way. For one thing, you can get any cartridge that you like to use with either the RP8 or the RP10. You are only limited to the two options of Exact and Apheta if you want to take advantage of their package deals. The Apheta is a very nice sounding cartridge and as you have noted, it is at a very attractive price when purchased on the RP10. Let's say that you chose to do that. Later, when it came time to upgrade the cartridge, you would not be limited to replacing it with another Apheta. You could even use your Exact as a replacement, whether temporarily or as a long term fit. What I would be more concerned about is the phono stage that you are using with regard to cartridge selection. The Apheta is a low output moving coil cartridge which is a more demanding type of device and requires a very capable phono preamp, typically a considerably more expensive one than found in most amps, to get the most out of it. You can use it with a cheaper MC stage and it'll still likely sound better than the Exact but not near its capability without investment in a really top notch phono stage.

So rather than stress out over the cartridge and cost of operation, we can easily put that off until later, no matter what table we are looking at currently. Just know that you are not going to get the package deal price later if you want an Apheta later. What we can focus on long term is the table. The RP10 has as its single most distinguishing feature the excellent RB2000 tonearm, which is in a class by itself when compared to the other Rega arms. As good as those are already considered by most to be, the RB2000 is even better and makes the RP10 a better performer automatically. The platter on the RP10 is also a uniquely nice design, bringing slightly more to that table. Much is made of the power supply, and while I really find no fault in that of the RP8, the RP10 does include a heavier design there as well.

I have a similar situation with my table and cartridge, with the cartridge being about a $1k unit and replacement can actually be more than the cost of my table. It sounds great, so I listen and try not to stress over the cartridge. I do have my old Elys cartridge stored nearby so that if I do have an accident and cannot afford a full tilt awesome cartridge replacement, I still have a nice sounding back-up cartridge that I will be comfortable with for as long as I need it.

So some people will look at the table as the chief investment and can wait to buy any number of cartridges later without concern that the table is not worthy of whatever they buy. Others will want the most bang for the buck immediately and perhaps not exceed a certain budget. In that case, finding a table and a cartridge with closer values as I did, makes sense. I simply could not afford the top end table but I still got excellent performance by using a considerably better than average cartridge with it. Had I the cash at the time to buy an RP10, there is no question that is the better table and that I could use a $1k or even a $2k cartridge on it could I afford that as well. As with any purchase, you just need to look at what the performance will be and what you can afford. Those are the limiting factors.
    -Bill

11. GoldprintAudio

GoldprintAudio Forum Resident

FYI.... Rega still has the cartridge trade-in program. So you would not be spending the full $1800 if you did a swap of the Apheta if/when you need a new one.

BKS and Long Live Analog like this.
  12. Joey_Corleone

Thanks Bill for all the information. You make some valid points. I am not sure I communicated what I wanted to say as well as I would have liked. I guess I would be a bit worried that I would get the Alpheta to start with, be completely spoiled by it, and then not really be able to afford replacing it regularly with another Alpheta lol. How long are these things supposed to last on average? Whenever I look it seems like numbers are all over the place. I started with an Elys 2 and ended up upgrading to the Exact 18 months later. If I had an Alpheta, I wonder what kind of life I should expect out of it. I would estimate I am playing vinyl maybe.... 10-20 hours a week or so if I had to take a wild guess. Popping for an $1800 cartridge every 5 years or something would be one thing, but as an annual expense I could see where that would be concerning for me. I love my records and my music...if that thing goes down or needs replaced I will be obsessed until it gets done, but dropping $1800 for a replacement feels like a major purchase to me and not like a routine maintenance thing to me. That is just me and the financial world I live in I guess.

To put it another way - I guess I would be weary about buying an Alpheta once with the turntable that I can afford once AT THE TIME, and then not really being able to afford them on a regular basis.

As far as my phono stage, my McIntosh c2500 has both MM and MC inputs. I would hope what they have is more than suitable for any cartridge out there. If not, I need a new hobby lol

Last edited: Jul 7, 2015
  13. Dr Tone

Your c2500 would do the 100 ohm load alright. Hard to tell how quiet it will be with the .35mV output of Apheta 2.

14. reeler

reeler Forum Resident

My first Demo measured .8 fast. I decided to get a new one that was also .6 fast. Fremer measured one fast in his Stereophile review. The OP measured his fast. It is a well known fact that Regas typically run fast. I dried out and re-oiled the hub and experimented with the positioning of the motor- which is not exactly easy, to really move it precisely and get it secured firmly afterwards you have to take the cover off below and it's a bit difficult to get to the hardware....now have the speed spot on. No need for a speed control. As for 10 versus 8 I can't say but the 8 is my last table. I think I compared 8 to previous Regas awhile back. If there's one thing I don't like about the 10 its the white platter with the black plinth- but that would'nt be a deal breaker, I'm just not going to spend a lot on stereo stuff anymore. Can hardly play it anyway with the retired person holing up on top of me 24/7 (and has no problem letting me know when its too loud, slams the hell out of the ceiling). If I had a different situation I might consider a 10....for those that want one I'd say go for it.

Last edited: Jul 8, 2015
  15. KT88

KT88 Senior Member

You can get 2 - 3 years of use out of one at your black liquorice spin rate, assuming you keep your records clean and you don't accidentally damage it. I had a mid level Denon cartridge last almost ten years (maybe 5 or 6 hours use average per week) before. I also snapped the cantilever off of a nearly $1k Linn cartridge once while fiddling with some forgotten set-up parameter. My shirt sleeve was hanging down at the cuff and caught hold of it...

You can get excellent performance for less than the Apheta. I have a Dynavector cartridge for LOMC duty myself. Ortofon also makes some nice ones, both under or around $1k for excellent quality units.
    -Bill

BKS likes this.
  16. Fiddlefye

Fiddlefye Forum Resident

Interesting to hear the comparison. My local audio emporium has a RP10 still in the packing now for a few months and I've been trying to get him to set it up, but so far to no avail. I have heard the RP8 many times and quite liked it. I do think they do drop a titch in speed after break-in as I'm very pitch sensitive and it bothered me at first and doesn't now. After the RP10 review I think I will be doubling my efforts at getting the table out and set up.

17. Joey_Corleone

I find it shocking and somewhat amusing that a $5500 record player does not spin at the right speed out of the box. Dear lord....

krambigmac, Spinmeout, BKS and 3 others like this.
  18. TVC15

TVC15 Forum Resident

The fact that the RP10 can be set accurately at the factory, but isn't, suggests to me that it's on purpose.

BKS, IanL and Long Live Analog like this.
  19. Fiddlefye

Fiddlefye Forum Resident

Always been my opinion as well. Running a tiny bit faster makes them sound a bit more brilliant, hence more attractive in the showroom. Radio stations used to do it all the time back in the 60s and 70s.

20. Long Live Analog

it's true they run fast, we complain about it, yet we still purchase, go figure lol...

Joey_Corleone and Dr Tone like this.
  21. Dr Tone

Finally got the new RP8 w/ Alpheta 2 home today. UPS decided to wait 2 days after it got into town to deliver it to the dealer. :realmad:

Now for the Apheta 2 vs Apheta 1. With only a couple hours on the stylus and nearly a 2 weeks since I heard the 1, I can say 2 is definitely fuller at the same load with more control in the bottom end. Top end seems smoother as well, no harshness ever. I can't comment on detail retrieval or sound stage I didn't spend enough time with the 1 for it to be engrained in my head after 2 weeks.

Now to continue on cleaning and grading my crappy vinyl.

jon9091 and Long Live Analog like this.
  22. Long Live Analog

Dr Tone, thanks for keeping us informed and glad you've received the deck. Those UPS folks are up to something all the time lol. Looking forward to reading your review once everything settles in. Congrats, now spin that clean vinyl...

23. DeRosa

DeRosa Vinyl Forever

A dynavector 20x2 ($950)works really well on rega tables.
    Just have to make sure the vta is set up when using non-rega cartridges.
    I was completely underwhelmed by the Exact2, even on an rp6 level
    it lacks detail and doesn't have the punch. I can't imagine the Exact is capable
    Of producing anything special on an rp10. An rp8 with 20x2 is awesome.

24. TVC15

TVC15 Forum Resident

Do you have an iPhone? Download "Turntabulator" and report back the speed.

25. Joey_Corleone

Wow that is awesome! Now I want to spend the $2 on it and test my RP3 but at the same time am avoiding it because if it is fast I have no idea what to do and it will drive me mad : )

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.