Rega sold more turntables last year than in any of its previous 40 odd years

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by hvbias, Apr 13, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hvbias

hvbias Midrange magic Thread Starter

From an Analog Planet article.

Quite impressive

Vernoona, MikeJedi and crispi like this.
  2. Akapaz

Akapaz Forum Resident

Well that is quite spectacular in anyway you look at it. Go Rega :righton:

3. Doug G.

Doug G. Forum Resident

Exactly. That is incredible.

The article wasn't published on April 1st, was it? :D

Doug

4. kevintomb

kevintomb Forum Resident

How many did it sale?

5. Bob_in_OKC

Bob_in_OKC Forum Resident

It would seem to make sense. After all, the popularity of turntables continues to increase.

T'mershi Duween and dogpile like this.
  6. dogpile

dogpile Generation X record spinner.

Rega is a good product and has been around for decades. The new vinyl listeners have probably attributed to most of their sales (not us old farts), so not very surprising.

T'mershi Duween likes this.
  7. missan

missan Forum Resident

It´s not that odd as it might seem. All those high quality brands with competitive prices aren´t around anymore with upgraded TTs to compete.

jriems likes this.
  8. It saled 23. :tiphat:

APH, jriems, kevintomb and 1 other person like this.
  9. gloomrider

gloomrider Well-Known Member

Pro-Ject also way underestimated demand over the last few months and there is a significant backlog of orders.

10. Dubmart

Dubmart Senior Member

That's great news for Rega and everyone who appreciates decent vinyl playback, but I'm not sure who is buying them, at least in the UK. I talk to a lot of the new generation of people getting into records, people in their teens and twenties as well as the older people coming back to vinyl and the youngsters want something all in one, a very cheap used deck, a family hand me down or even no deck at all. Some of the older generation getting back into vinyl are buying Regas, Projects and even higher end decks, but the youngsters seem oblivious to the joys of Hi-Fi. Either this city isn't typical or Rega must be exporting a ton of product, I just hope the vinyl revival lasts, picks up steam and leads to a revival in equipment sales as well.

sound chaser likes this.
  11. Gary

Gary Nauga Gort! Staff

I think it's the people who have a bit of money and want to upgrade from their vintage, second hand TT. It's the next step up for them. But that's just a guess. :)

Tullman, jupiterboy and Mazzy like this.
  12. ggergm

ggergm another spring another baseball season

Very impressive. I would not have expected this.

It must be a matter of less competition. Back in the '80s, Rega was just another turntable. Today they are one of the industry leaders.

When I had my stereo store, we always grabbed market share and expanded during tough times.

13. Also they seem to be one of the few who caters to all markets, not just the over 2k table which is a lot for most people. Under 4 or $500 is a sweet spot for many.

ggergm likes this.
  14. 5-String

5-String μηδὲν ἄγαν

For sure, Rega has come a long way since the 80s but the Rega ideal has always remained the same. Making excellent products at affordable prices.

ggergm likes this.
  15. McLover

McLover Senior Member

Yes, and they still have wavery pitch. And I still dislike it just the same as I did then.

Shak Cohen likes this.
  16. Always someone to tinkle in the wheaties. Always.

johnnypaddock, APH, wgriel and 3 others like this.
  17. crispi

crispi Vinyl Archaeologist

I'm one of the (semi-) youngsters who bought one last year. Two in fact. A RP1 and then a RP3.

hvbias likes this.
  18. vinyl is a fad!

19. 56GoldTop

56GoldTop Forum Resident

Very, very, true.

I admit to not owning any Rega TT's. I took them for a test drive and they just weren't my thing. I'm not a fan. BUT, BUT, BUT... how on earth can this be a bad thing for vinyl lovers??? I would certainly rather folks play their vinyl on a well set up Rega (even if the pitch wavers) than a Crosley or other such bottom-feeder BPC "plug it straight in to your computer" with a "nostalgia" sticker slapped on it or a beat-t0-heck BSR changer with a sticky mechanism straight out of grandma's moldy basement. This is good news to me.

20. raferx

raferx Forum Resident

I'd wager it's the RP1 boosting their numbers (newbies coming into vinyl)... too bad, because for less $$ the original P3 and RB300 is a far superior TT.

Dan C likes this.
  21. 56GoldTop

56GoldTop Forum Resident

The US seems to love anything that is not US. (a stretched generalization, but you get the picture) You've heard it, "We just love your accent." A prophet is never welcome in his own country. I'm often wrong; yet, I seem to think that since there is literally a Technics around every corner folks like the idea of owning something... ...different.... something not American, Japanese or Chinese. UK made fits the bill and I often hear such endorsements in my usual vinyl watering holes.

22. missan

missan Forum Resident

The question is really, is this actually a good thing, I mean the Rega sales. It must be obvious that it largely depends on lack of competition. It would naturally had been a much, much better situation for the buyer if more high quality manufacterers had servived the market drop in the 80s, much better. We can only speculate how much better TTs then would be playing in todays buyers homes.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2014
  23. RonW

RonW Forum Resident

I think if I were in the market it would be a Rega P3-24 or perhaps a Pro-Ject Debut III (sp?). I've done a bit of research on the Rega design and I like it. Pro-Ject I have no clue except they seem to be popular.

I do like Rega products in general and it comes from the amount of great comments people have made. Sadly, I've never ever heard their gear. Our local stereo shop does carry Rega now and I have no excuse except I do not need anything.

24. Josquin des Prez

Josquin des Prez I have spoken!

Back in the 80s (~83-87) I worked for the U.S. importer for Rega. I did bookkeeping, shipping, and receiving, etc. I was also classical/jazz record buyer for the retail business located in the same building. As I recall, monthly U.S. sales of Rega weren't much higher than a 100 or so, and there were maybe two dozen U.S. dealers total, and only a small handful of those were regularly active (ordering tables more than once/month).

I remember the first of the green Planar 3s ever made.

25. ggergm

ggergm another spring another baseball season

^ Great info, Josquin. Thank you. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.