Rega sold more turntables last year than in any of its previous 40 odd years

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by hvbias, Apr 13, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Schoolmaster Bones

Schoolmaster Bones Poe's Lawyer

Is this true?

2. missan

missan Forum Resident

I feel it´s not that important if this is true or not, the important thing is has created a thread.:)

3. RonW

RonW Forum Resident

23 turntables?

4. No

ggergm likes this.
  5. ggergm

ggergm another spring another baseball season

Explaining a joke ruins it.

Mazzy and jriems like this.
  6. Schoolmaster Bones

Schoolmaster Bones Poe's Lawyer

Maybe it's true, maybe it isn't. What gets me is how somebody will start a thread based on something someone else stated on a blog somewhere, and instantly it's the gospel.

Remember that thread where somebody stated that he read somewhere that all labels would stop making CDs by 2012. We had literally hundreds of pages here of people freaking out. Let's all try to be a little less gullible.

7. RonW

RonW Forum Resident

Especially if its another joke...

8. eddiel

eddiel Senior Member

When I was a kid I was pretty oblivious to the joys of hi-fo too. As were most of my friends. We used whatever we had, be it a family console unit (recorded my LZII to tape on that) or a cheap separates set up like my cousin had, made by Fisher. It wasn't until later that we, or at least some of us, became more interested in hi-fi in general. So I'm not surprised if kids just getting into records these days aren't fussed about their hi-fi just yet. :)

9. eddiel

eddiel Senior Member

Well at least this time the blog is run by someone who;s known in the audiophile community. Wasn't the "end of cds" blog run by a who knows who this guy is type?

Also, Rega selling more is far more likely to be true than a story about cds coming to an end in 6 months :)

But yes I would like to see another source for this as well.

10. CCrider92

CCrider92 Senior Member

I hope these TT sales trickle down to the record companies and lower prices. But more importantly I hope the pressing plants are more careful about the quality of the product they are putting out!

Brother_Rael likes this.
  11. razerx

razerx Forum Resident

I am into photography and shoot film only, no digital. The parallel is that many niche camera makers such as for big wooden 8x10 cameras and accessories are seeing a boom due to to new users from developing countries such as China and also due to the fact that much of their competition have already gone out of business. But despite the good news and I don't mean to be negative (no pun intended) the art of film photography is dying as the industry cannot survive based on a limited number of niche users. Like big wooden cameras how many times can someone buy a new turntable year after year?

12. Brother_Rael

Brother_Rael Senior Member

Good news for Rega, but their range has expanded somewhat in recent years from the old days of just the Planar 2 and 3 to include more expensive designs at £1000 and upwards.

I'd be interested to see the numbers though. Especially compared to sales of quality digital players or headphones.

13. RobHolt

RobHolt Forum Resident

Another factor is the shrinking market and concentration of production.
    Yes vinyl is on the rise but from a tiny base, and there are now far fewer manufacturers of turntables.
    Therefore it follows that the few remaining manufacturers should see increasing sales.
    Remember the heady days when all of the major audio companies had several TTs models in the range, and most revamped them evert 18 months or so with new models!

Interesting to see Pioneer recently re-introding TTs to it's audio range with what looks like a copy of the Technics SL-1210.

14. McLover

McLover Senior Member

I would like to see Rega improve their turntables. Especially on speed constancy. Their RB tonearms are wonderful. I like them. But for me, Rega's lack of stability is a major distraction which means the music isn't there for me.

15. krlpuretone

krlpuretone Forum Resident

Not sure how much real world experience you have with that issue, but here's my experience.

I've sold 60+ Rega turntables and only one of them had a "speed constancy" issue which was due to the glue on the spindle not setting right on the subplatter... it was replaced under warranty and the problem was solved.

The reason Rega is setting sales records every year is because each of their turntables is ranked among the best in the world at its price point and that each evolution is an audible improvement on the previous generation.

16. Ortofun

Ortofun Well-Known Member

Cd cat.jpg

But seriously, i wouldn't mind seeing the brake down by models.

eddiel likes this.
  17. jriems

jriems Audio Ojiisan

Couldn't a significant chunk of Rega's upswing in market share be due to the discontinuation of the Technics turntable brand? The price point between a new SL1200MK5 and a Rega RP1/RP3 are similar, so Rega could be taking the business of folks who would have purchased an SL1200 if it was still available at retail.

No scientific data on this, just a theory.

18. Classicrock

Classicrock Senior Member

Never rated their TT's that highly but have not heard the latest high end ones. However the RB arms have been great at the price and the Fono phono stage is an unheralded gem for the money. Unfortunately they appear to be going up market and no matter how good the RP9 and 10 are the ultra lightweight construction and feel does not sit well with many buyers at this price level. I'm willing to bet most production is RP1 and RP3 as far as turntables are concerned.

19. caracallac

caracallac Forum Resident

Nice one Roy!!!

20. hvbias

hvbias Midrange magic Thread Starter

The source is Michael Fremer who stays in touch with Roy Gandry. I can't imagine he just chose to make up a fact like this. The guy that claimed CDs would be extinct was making a prediction (his opinion).

TLMusic likes this.
  21. quadjoe

quadjoe Senior Member

I had read that, too. I recently (two weeks ago) purchased a Pro-Ject 2-Xperience Classic turntable, and the sales consultant at Needle Doctor told me that Pro-Ject also was scrambling to fill orders for new turntables as well. He said that the Pro-Ject rep told him that they sold 3 times as many turntables last year as in 2012! Also, I didn't check today, but if you go to the Needle Doctors site, nearly every model of Thorens turntable is marked "Temporarily Unavailable." That's really impressive, IMO, and a clear indication that there is a lot of life left in the old vinyl gal yet....

22. KT88

KT88 Senior Member

Indeed it is the lower priced products which have the highest sales volume. That is true in practically every product category for every company who produces consumer goods. The CEO of Rega is quoted in Mr. Fremer's article as read "By the way, speaking on the record about Rega’s resurgence (the company doubled the size of the then new factory I visited in 1999), Freeman told me that when the RP1 was designed and brought to market, he envisioned sales of perhaps 500 a month. Actual monthly sales today are about six times that number!".

In my experience, the RP1 outsells the RP3 by perhaps 3:1 and I expect that the gap is even wider from vendors with higher volume. It is a good thing for Rega to have some volume and some brand recognition because of it but it is also somewhat limiting of many people's expectations from their better offerings. For years, Rega avoided making entry level decks and started out with the P2 as their lowest cost product, which was really nicer unit than many makers produced at all. Sales volumes were of course lower then and the number of products was also smaller.

Their top shelf product is significantly better performing than the lower priced product and they can sometimes suffer from the assumptions that they are all similar in quality regarding both build and sound. Those who have had real hands on, ears on experience with their better decks know that they are more than the equal of many heavier or bulkier decks, so in this case, size really doesn't matter. There will always be those who assume that heavier or bigger is better and whose self confidence will only be boosted when they can say "My plinth is thicker than yours". ;)
    -Bill

beverett likes this.
  23. spartanmanor

spartanmanor Forum Resident

...and the demand for new and used vinyl will increase along with the prices.

24. crispi

crispi Vinyl Archaeologist

I think the TechnicSL1200 was primarily bought by aspiring DJs. Rega as a DJ table? Hard to imagine. :unhunh:

25. quadjoe

quadjoe Senior Member

The SL-1200 was produced from October 1972 until Matshusita ceased production of the series in 2010, ultimately producing more than 3 million units. That predates the DJ era by about 6 years, and the Rap/Hip-Hop use for "scratching" tables by even more. They were chosen for their sturdy build quality, and their ability to get to speed very quickly. I know that folks love to beat up on the Technics, but in it's day it was a ground-breaking turntable because of its speed accuracy (still excellent, even by modern standards, btw) it's major weakness nowadays is the stock tonearm. Back in '72 you could get the SL-12oo with its stock arm, or choose the 12o and mount the tonearm of your choice (the SME was/is considered a good match.) IMO, Rega makes fine tables, and they're right to not be interested in the DJ market.

googlymoogly likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.