REL subwoofer added and WOW

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by NealW, Dec 14, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. antonkk

antonkk Senior Member

AudioEnz, my McIntosh MH1 100 is integrated. I will edit my profile. I don't have any "direct" in it, unless I'm mistaken. So if I set my speakers to small, then Mac will read them as small in both high and low frequency sub connections. I also don't know how to change between the "high" and "low" modes on the sub automaticaly other then the gain level. If I turn the level on both of them which signal will my amp read? Or will it read both?

2. AudioEnz

AudioEnz Senior Member

I think you'll find that you have the option to turn off all processing on your McIntosh. By "direct" I wasn't referring to an input, but the processing on your receiver.

When listening to music in stereo, you want to cleanest signal path with no processing garbage in the way. Choose the mode on your McIntosh that turns the processing off, including digitaal crossovers. You can then use the REL with your McIntosh the same way that you would if you had a stereo amp. You may need to RTFM.

Every AV receiver I've come across (except one, which will remain nameless to protect the guilty) allows seperate surround settings for different inputs. For your Cd input, choose the one that switches off all of the procesing, as discribed above. This means that your speakers will receive a full-range signal, and the REL will come in beneath them as the REL desiger intended.

For your DVD input, set the processing for small speakers and for subwoofer to be on. Connect the mcIntosh to the sub via the normal home theatre cable from the sub out on the McIntosh. (You can later experiment with setting some of the speakers to "large and seeing if that works better, but let's keep things simple for now).

I can't remember the exact details, as it's been a while since I had a REL inhouse. Again, RTFM. If you can't find the manual, then you can download one from REL's website.

3. antonkk

antonkk Senior Member

So if my Grand Pianos go as low as 35 Hz (30 Hz in my previous post was a mistake) then the good setting for sub (in a stereo mode) will be 34Hz?

4. Vinyl-Addict

Vinyl-Addict Groovetracer Manufacturer

Not necessarily but I would start below 34hz. In my experience with my Rel Storm III, I have always crossed it lower than the spec. for my loudspeaker. There are too many variables involved to simply take 34hz as the golden x-over point. Keep in mind that the sub will excite higher frequencies than 34hz and will also cancel some frequencies in the process.
    I would say that you will probably end up a lot lower than that.
    For example, I crossed my B&W N804's at 22hz, the lowest setting on the Rel. My current speakers, Harbeth Monitor 30's are crossed at 30hz.
    You really need to use a test CD and a Sound pressure level meter to get it right. I know there are some who say they can get it right with their ears but I have never heard anyone set up their sub as good without the aid of a test CD and SPL meter. Good luck! :)

5. antonkk

antonkk Senior Member

Do you know where I can buy them?

6. Vinyl-Addict

I use a Rives Audio Test CD($20) and a Radio Shack analog Spl meter($35).
    In Russia I have no idea where you could buy them. If you want to buy online, you can purchase them that way, RadioShack has a website and I think I bought the Rives disc at Acousticsounds.com.:)
    I can double check if you can't find it.

7. antonkk

antonkk Senior Member

I think I found SPL meter for sale in Moscow ($54) and a friend promised to give me Cesky Records The Ultimate DVD-A set up disc. I hope this one will help.

8. Vinyl-Addict

You need to be able to at least run 1/3 octave bass warble tones through your loudspeakers and sub while watching the results on the SPL meter. I'm not familiar with Chesky's DVD-Audio disc. Stereophile has 3 or 4 test CD's that have these test tones but the Rives test CD is a better one to get if you use a RadioShack SPL meter.:)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.