Releases that the artists have forbidden?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by TheLazenby, Mar 20, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Malc

Malc Forum Resident

Bread : The 1996/97 Reunion Tour
    Professionally recorded for release before David Gates heard the tapes and nixed the idea, claiming the performances weren't 'up to standard'...

kwadguy and Hep Alien like this.
  2. gary191265

gary191265 Forum Resident

Jeff Buckley - Forget Her

But that didn't seem to worry his mother too much!

john lennonist and keyXVII like this.
  3. Luvtemps

Luvtemps Forum Resident

Marvin Gaye was very angry that Motown released [Dream Of A Lifetime]LP,and didn't want it released.

4. bcaulf

bcaulf Forum Resident

Lovesexy is the last Prince album I own too, along with The Black Album, which technically came out in 1987. I do like his music and I am sad that he is no longer with us but I would call Lovesexy his last "classic" album. Some might say "Sign O' The Times" is his last classic.

seed_drill likes this.
  5. PaperbackBroadstreet

PaperbackBroadstreet Forum Resident

Not officially releasing flying hour is one of the greatest crimes in music. Amazing song.

Hep Alien likes this.
  6. PaperbackBroadstreet

From McCartney, I would say both hot hits and cold cuts along with the return to pepperland sessions from 1987.

Sure, they have been booted, but official releases would be nice.

Hep Alien likes this.
  7. PaperbackBroadstreet

The Rolling Stones version of lonely at the top (from emotional rescue sessions), among others. Please see my previous post.

Hep Alien likes this.
  8. LukeMWest

LukeMWest New Member

The Heart album Magazine was released by the label after they placed the controversial story in a publication claiming the sisters were lesbian lovers. The band threatened to leave the label and Mushroom released Magazine without the bands involvement in the track selection and mixing, some live cuts were thrown in to fill in the gaps. Occasionally a copy surfaces on Discogs or eBay. Heart also had submitted a full album to their comeback producer Ron Nevison in early 1985. That album was rejected by Nevison and Capitol Records. The same happened in 2003, they touted a new album circa 2002 and performed some of those alleged new cuts for their Alive In Seattle release which was a live concert. Break The Rock was one of those rejected tracks from 1985, it was performed live for the Alive In Seattle release. The album intended for the 2003 release was shelved and in 2004 Jupiter's Darling was released. If you want to catch some of Heart's 1985 recording sessions including 2 unreleased demos Love's Taken Over Me and Victim of Paradise, check out YouTube.

Patty Smyth had an album scheduled for release with Chrysalis in the late 80's and it was shelved, I know of one track that was recorded for the album "I Want Your World To Turn" which was a Steinberg/Kelly written track. Nancy Wilson of Heart was interested in recording the same track for then husband Cameron Crowe's film Say Anything. It became a Heart track on the Brigade album (1990) and Nancy (solo credited) recorded the track All For Love for the Say Anything film. If anyone is familiar with Robin Beck, she allegedly had an album recorded and scheduled for release via BMG in 2000, it has never seen the light of day (if it exists at all). Taylor Dayne recorded an album for BMG in 2003/2004 but it was shelved when BMG became a joint venture with Sony in 2004. She lost her comeback deal with the label and that album. Perhaps some or most of these instances are not the artists forbidding the releases but rather music business politics and sour deals.

Beamish13, Hep Alien and Runicen like this.
  9. melstapler

melstapler Reissue Activist

The 1967 studio album "Together Again" by Dion & The Belmonts is perhaps the only album Dion hasn't properly reissued and fans have suggested that his personal setbacks during this time period could be the reason there hasn't been an effort to revisit that project. My understanding was that Dion either owns the "Together Again" album or has access to the actual masters. His box set from several years back included a very brief sampling of this material, but the album itself never received a proper reissue. "Together Again" is a solid album from start to finish and should've been huge back in 1967.
    [​IMG]

Hep Alien and Syscrusher like this.
  10. TheLazenby

TheLazenby Forum Resident In Memoriam Thread Starter

If the newly-released Take 2 is any indication - and Giles Martin says it is, sadly - Take 3 is probably far, FAR too boring to see commercial release.

11. Derek Slazenger

Derek Slazenger Specs, rugs & rock n roll

I really love it! One of the highlights of the set for me :)

Clark V Kauffman likes this.
  12. phillyal1

phillyal1 Forum Resident

The second album by Philly area band Riverside (Sire Records) , recorded at John Mellencamps studio, is still unreleased.

13. petem1966

petem1966 Forum Resident

Olde threade resurrect here. Came across a mention of Milkwood in an online article recently and had a gander on the Google for it. Listened to a few cuts on youtube and it was pretty decent, so picked it up on iTunes. Pretty solid, if not groundbreaking, album. Way more Jim Croce than the Cars, but entertaining, and I suspect very typical for its era. Recommended.

Platterpus likes this.
  14. Beamish13

Beamish13 Forum Resident

Massive Attack basically recorded a shelved album between Blue Lines and Protection that heavily featured Shara Nelson, who provides vocals on much of the former. No leaks, no song titles, probably no chance of ever coming out

DTK and mestreech like this.
  15. mestreech

mestreech Forum Resident

Shame big shame

bleachershane and Beamish13 like this.
  16. Scope J

Scope J Senior Member

Mike Love Not War?

17. Beamish13

Beamish13 Forum Resident

Talking Heads (or rather, mostly Byrne), have put the kibosh on releasing most of their album outtakes. They were notable for never even putting out unique b-sides, so there is very little known about these songs, but according to Andy Zax, producer of the Once in a Lifetime box, there are quite a few in existence

Hep Alien likes this.
  18. A few did show up on the reissues and b0xed set but I doubt that we will see anything else released beyond what we have unless Byrne changes his mind. The rest of,the band are all for it from what I understand and, for what we got, that was like pulling teeth.

panther_dream and Beamish13 like this.
  19. I was really surprised that the estate never put that out. In fact, I guess I shouldn’t be surprised because the estate has done very little with George’s legacy.

20. Scope J

Scope J Senior Member

Brand New Morning was mentioned

isn't Noah in the same boat?

21. Beamish13

Beamish13 Forum Resident

Right. Even those were just unfinished instrumental noodlings. They have fully-fledged, completely mixed songs with vocals in the vault

Hep Alien and wayneklein like this.
  22. bRETT

bRETT Senior Member

It was Columbia who released that. At a point when Marvin wouldn't have a whole lot to say about it...

23. The Beatles,were a lousy Jam band IMHO.

Man at C&A, ARK and majorlance like this.
  24. Mechanical Man

Mechanical Man I Am Just a Mops

Maybe tangentially related to the thread topic, but there's almost zero chance that any of the recordings Charles Manson did under the auspices of the Beach Boys and Brother Records will ever see release.

25. drift

drift Forum Resident

Gregg and Cher's album has never been on CD. I've heard it and feel it's bad reputation is unfair.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.