Releases that the artists have forbidden?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by TheLazenby, Mar 20, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SurrealCereal

SurrealCereal Forum Resident

Yeah, Gilmour kind of lost his status as one of Syd's "protectors" when he deliberately made Syd's solo albums sound messy and embarrassing.

DTK and Lightworker like this.
  2. Lightworker

Lightworker Forum Resident

I was happy to hear any unreleased Syd music at the time.
    At least Gilmour's involvement allowed us to hear some rare
    Barrett "warts and all".

AlienRendel and phillyal1 like this.
  3. Lightworker

Bad move. Those songs enhance the Pink Floyd legacy IMO.

4. Culpa

Culpa Forum Resident

Emmylou Harris' Gliding Bird LP.

starduster likes this.
  5. SurrealCereal

SurrealCereal Forum Resident

I'm with you, I'd much rather have as much of Syd's music as possible, no matter how messy it is. The other producers didn't thing Gilmour was doing Syd any favors when he left his parts of the album messy, though. I personally don't mind it, I think it adds to the ambience of the albums, but the common story is that Gilmour was trying to spite Syd.

6. TheLazenby

TheLazenby Forum Resident In Memoriam Thread Starter

Makes you wonder if someone could recompile the two Syd LP's using better takes, where Syd doesn't stop and start over, go off key, etc.

Hep Alien and zphage like this.
  7. Mal

Mal Phorum Physicist

Scott Walker has kept some Philips releases that he regards as just contractual obligation albums from being re-issued but it seems that he has no sway with CBS (Sony) who have kept their similarly viewed albums available:

Scott talks about the contractual obligation albums >>

Some of the material from the deleted Philips albums has been re-issued on compilations and a few years ago there were plans for a reissue of all this material (got as far as promo CDs) but once Polygram was merged into Universal the trail went cold.

MIA Philips albums:

Scott Walker Sings Songs From His T.V. Series (1969)
    Moviegoer (1972)
    Any Day Now (1973)

Not sure if anything has changed in recent years?

Alfie Noakes and Lightworker like this.
  8. bRETT

bRETT Senior Member

This version is more than a different mix, it includes guitar etc overdubs that aren't by the members of Heart, along with different lead vocals (and "You Shook Me" which was edited out of the blues medley). There were threads about this here. One stipulation for Heart allowing its release is that they were allowed to complete it themselves.

Hep Alien likes this.
  9. Lightworker

I'd buy Scott Walker Sings Songs From His T.V. Series on CD/SACD in a heartbeat.
    Great pop record and totally underrated by many self-proclaimed fans.

[​IMG]

phillyal1 and Mal like this.
  10. konoyaro

konoyaro Forum Resident

zphage likes this.
  11. KDubATX

KDubATX A Darby Man Never Says When

I feel like I did hear this off some MP3 rip one time but I really don't remember much about it anymore...

[​IMG]

12. bRETT

bRETT Senior Member

It surely didn't get that far. More like a bunch of abortive sessions meant to produce an album and didn't.

bleachershane likes this.
  13. DTK

DTK Forum Resident

For one thing, subsitute the take of "Dark Globe" with the one on Opel. It's inconceivable how anyone with musical ears could pick the take on Madcap.

marc with a c and Hep Alien like this.
  14. Jack White

Jack White Senior Member

Heart was signed to the indie label Mushroom and still owed them a release when they signed with Portrait/ CBS and started to record the 'Little Queen' album. I can't remember which was released first, but 'Little Queen' and 'Magazine' were released almost simultaneously. Legal quarrels ensued. The result was that 'Magazine' was pulled, the group got to remix and re-record some stuff, but had to finish the album which Mushroom was allowed to re-issue. In almost 40 years of looking I've never come across a copy of the first issue of 'Magazine'.

ibekeen and hi_watt like this.
  15. bRETT

bRETT Senior Member

Neil Young's "Toast" probably falls into this category. Also whatever exists of S&G's "Think Too Much".

Hep Alien likes this.
  16. KDubATX

KDubATX A Darby Man Never Says When

U2 did not want you to hear their 'Negativeland' album and had it pulled pretty fast :D

[​IMG]

17. deany76

deany76 Forum Resident

Slightly off topic, appologies, but really surprised Donald and Walter allowed "Live in America" I don't consider this to be even close to their known perfectionism, and don't count the album as part of their discography.

I've edited their "Plush TV Jazz" DVD without narrative it is far better in my opinion.

ohnothimagen and limoges like this.
  18. tedg65

tedg65 Forum Resident

I listen to it quite regularly and regard it higher than most of regular releases!

Scope J and siveld like this.
  19. konoyaro

konoyaro Forum Resident

And then there's Bowie's album "Toy"

jlf and Bowieboy like this.
  20. seed_drill

seed_drill Senior Member

I tend to believe that's all Syd was capable of at the time. I seem to recall Gilmour saying he literally had to place the guitar in Syd's hands to get him to play anything.

izgoblin likes this.
  21. seed_drill

seed_drill Senior Member

I don't think the band had anything to do with blocking it, but there was a promising band of kids called Pure Rubbish that played the Ozzfest second stage, released an ep and recorded a full album, but it got shelved when they broke up.

22. tedg65

tedg65 Forum Resident

I think Miller relented with Journey From Eden....I think it did come out in the last couple of years in some form or other...

23. Moshe

Moshe "Silent in four languages."

It was to be titled Horoscope.
    I think a few of the songs from it ended up on Mamouna.

Say It Right likes this.
  24. DTK

DTK Forum Resident

Not in all cases; as mentioned above, Gilmour chose a noticeable inferior take for one of the songs (Dark Globe).

25. DaveinMA

DaveinMA Some guy

Wasn't what ended up as Olympia partially from those sessions?

Moshe likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.