Releases that the artists have forbidden?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by TheLazenby, Mar 20, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. stereoptic

stereoptic Anaglyphic GORT Staff

I believe that Aimee Mann did not have any say in the Hip-O "Ultimate Aimee Mann" release.

phillyal1 likes this.
  2. mBen989

mBen989 Senior Member

Well, at least the movie is on the Archives set.

3. katieinthecoconut

katieinthecoconut Forum Resident

Emerging indie band Joe Lean and the Jing Jang Jong pulled their album at the last minute a little under a decade ago, purportedly at the advice of their manager, who wanted them to make it better. It was one of the indie cock-ups of recent memory, because it killed their momentum dead and they never went anywhere after that. The album's not unreleased, though, because plenty of promos were sent out at the time.

Prince obviously stopped much of his material from being released, not sure if he's been mentioned yet.

Ed Sheeran's first ever EP is unlikely to ever see the light of day.

4. Jeff Kent

Jeff Kent Forum Resident

King's X released an album under the name Sneak Preview. They were so unhappy with it they destroyed as many copies as they could.

5. the sands

the sands Forum Resident

Scott Walker has a handful of early 70s albums that he is embarrassed about. They've never been rereleased.

6. DaveinMA

DaveinMA Some guy

While there are some contributions from Mackay, Manzanera and Eno, I haven't heard that it was any attempt to get Roxy going again at that point. I thought Horoscope was the working title for some aborted sessions during a period of writer's block for Ferry, causing him and Trower to work on another album of covers, Taxi, before getting going once again on what became Mamouna.

Moshe likes this.
  7. MJConroy

MJConroy Senior Member

Domestic copies of it were hard to find, but import copies (Dutch) were easy to come by when it first came out.

8. Jeff Kent

Jeff Kent Forum Resident

Bob Mould implored fans not to buy the Poison Years compilation that Virgin released. I feel like there are lots of bands that left a label and had no say in what was released as a comp or best of.

9. Kate Bush won't allow the release of anything she recorded before her major label debut. There are hours worth of demos in circulation and many unreleased songs, but the one time someone thought they had the rights to a release - the legendary in certain circles LP The Early Years - and pressed up some albums, Bush disabused them of this notion right quick and had all the albums destroyed.

Chris DeVoe and bleachershane like this.
  10. Say It Right

Say It Right Not for the Hearing Impaired

This album is mentioned at the forum quite frequently. Have never participated in the discussion. So don't know if this potential explanation has been offered. Plus, as OP here mentioned, it had previously been available on LP and cassette.

A local independent record store (mostly vinyl) owner is this biker-type guy. He's very chatty if customers want to talk with him. One time during a visit ( < 10 years ago), not exactly sure why, he happened to bring up the Buckingham-Nicks album. Then he said that he had a theory as to why it hadn't come out on CD. He put in a cassette to play one specific track. His point was that the sound that would become identifiable as Fleetwood Mac's was already established on this album. This theory seems plausible, as it confirms Lindsey Buckingham's contributions and importance to their huge success. The only question it left would've been why somebody (band management or Reprise Records) would've continued preventing release on CD after decades. It was long past the point of causing any damage to the Fleetwood Mac "brand." At the same time, they were big enough that a CD version could've been commercially viable. Then downloads and streaming became fashionable. So, it still appears that it's not happening anytime soon.

11. whisper3978

whisper3978 Forum Resident

Bizarrely, John Williams refuses to let anyone release his first score for Spielberg, the brief, Schifrin-esque The Sugarland Express.

12. I don't understand the continuing situation with Into The Unknown... The members of Bad Religion were clearly happy for this proverbial black swan in their catalogue to be repressed for the band's 30th anniversary vinyl boxed set and they've confirmed the masters are still in their possession, yet an official digital release appears to remain just as elusive as ever (despite the fact that almost the entire album was made available on their official website as high quality MP3 "samples," seemingly transferred from the original tapes). In my opinion, it's actually quite a good diversion from their normal hardcore punk mode - I'd even be inclined to say it's no more out of place than certain tracks on recent efforts such as The New America and The Dissent Of Man in particular.

Mechanical Man and Dudley Morris like this.
  13. YardByrd

YardByrd rock n roll citizen in a hip hop world

Thankfully it will finally see official release this year without fake audience overdubbed. I am nervous about the mastering for it!!!

Hep Alien likes this.
  14. ReggieNJ

ReggieNJ Forum Resident

The Tori Amos album Y Kant Tori Read. Didn't sell well when first released and quickly went out of print, it's now become a collector's item because of its scarcity. Tori has only expressed dissatisfaction with the album and hasn't allowed it to be reissued in any form.

john lennonist and Hep Alien like this.
  15. vince

vince Stan Ricker's son-in-law

We had TONS of them at the record store my wife and I worked at....
    never thought they'd be collectors items!

Derek Slazenger and broccolid like this.
  16. bRETT

bRETT Senior Member

Noel Gallagher forbade Evan Dando to release "Purple Parallelogram," a song they wrote together. It was on the advance CD of the Lemonheads "Car Button Cloth" but not the commercial one. It may actually be the best song on the album.

marc with a c likes this.
  17. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant

you and 75% of the people on this forum......

Hep Alien likes this.
  18. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant

oh man, did that ever piss her off. She did a track by track breakdown on the website about each track and how most of them were castoffs.
    Trouble with her is like the trouble with Bruce or Neil.........sometimes she has no idea when something is great

Hep Alien, nbadge and stereoptic like this.
  19. FredV

FredV Senior Member

[​IMG]

John Lennon's 'Roots' album was illegally released from rough mix tapes of his 'Rock 'n' Roll' album he gave to publisher Morris Levy as a sign of good faith that he was honoring an agreement of covering songs owned by Levy after he lifted a line from the Chuck Berry song 'You Can't Catch Me' to 'Come Together' ("Here come old Flat Top"). Lennon sued to have the release stopped and successfully won the case.

The details of the case can be read in this article:

John Lennon: The Roots of Rock 'N' Roll

20. Xabby

Xabby Senior Member

[​IMG]

I really appreciate this wonderful band. Phil Collins only dedicates a few lines in his last biography................

21. andrewskyDE

andrewskyDE Island Owner

Reportedly Waters and Gilmour produced Syd's first album and I read it was Roger who put that track/cut in, as a laugh.

22. andrewskyDE

andrewskyDE Island Owner

Green Day's 2002 album Cigarettes And Valentines. But the story about it is fragile (and could be dubious). The mastertapes vanished while finishing the album, though the band and producer have made back-ups and stuff.
    In the end they just scrapped the whole thing and started to write material for American Idiot.

Hep Alien and ShardEnder like this.
  23. eelkiller

eelkiller One of the great unwashed

A "grey area" CD release from South America, at least that is what it was listed as when I bought it. The two are now listed as Pre-order at CD Japan (for now)

tedg65 likes this.
  24. SurrealCereal

SurrealCereal Forum Resident

I don't know who did what exactly, but what I read was that Gilmour and Waters made some questionable production choices, apparently to get back at Syd, which appalled one of the other producers who worked on Madcap.

25. Jason Pumphrey

Jason Pumphrey Forum Resident

The early Seger stuff of course, and Steve Miller's Rock Love and A Journey From Eden.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.