Releases that the artists have forbidden?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by TheLazenby, Mar 20, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TheLazenby

TheLazenby Forum Resident In Memoriam Thread Starter

I believe so, yes.

2. PacificOceanBlue

PacificOceanBlue Senior Member

It was disappointing that this one came and went so quickly. Never had a chance to acquire it. It seems a bit odd that Allman has an issue with the content.

3. PacificOceanBlue

PacificOceanBlue Senior Member

That is another curious case. What is the deal with that?

4. rjp

rjp Senior Member

interesting.......
    as i explained above:

they did this in the studio, and someone kept the tape rolling and then leaked it to a DJ. it was never meant for public consumption.

how it got the double 'best of" LP .......i have no clue. different rules back then i'm sure.

5. Mylene

Mylene Senior Member

The nine minute Bluebird was already legendary by the time the double album came out (the story was that Greene and Stone had edited it without the band's permission, even bringing in Doug Dillard to overdub a banjo in the edited version to clean it up)so Atlantic would have thought it a no-brainer to include it. The other unreleased track (the one that quotes Day Tripper) was already out on a bootleg and was well loved by fans everywhere.

6. rjp

rjp Senior Member

what other unreleased track?

DTK likes this.
  7. Mylene

Mylene Senior Member

I was mistaken. I thought there was a track from the Stampede bootleg that quoted Day Tripper that they included. It must have been on a tape I made back in the day.

8. StarDoG

StarDoG Forum Resident

Story goes that pretty much of Frankie Miller's "The Rock" album was dumped in favour of some slick American Radio friendly version. The only track that's I know has ever surfaced is "I know why the sun don't shine" featuring some sublime guitar from Koss.

Former member 30842 likes this.
  9. rjp

rjp Senior Member

you had me in a slight frenzy there................:)

john lennonist and DTK like this.
  10. sherrill50

sherrill50 Well-adapted Melomaniac

I was doing some research on a different thread, and tripped over another occurrence of the 8'54" 'Bluebird' by Buffalo Springfield. According to Discogs.com, it's also on a WEA/Warners comp called 'Heavy Metal' (SP-2001, 1974).

Not quite sure how Bluebird fits in with a heavy metal theme, but that's a whole 'nother question!

11. blackdograilroad

blackdograilroad Forum Resident

'Free- From The Shadows', a 19-CD box set lovingly compiled by Free Appreciation Society magazine editor David Clayton. Andy Fraser, who had blocked several proposed tracks for the 2000 5CD box Songs Of Yesterday, gave his blessing to this one, but Mr. Rodgers vetoed it.

Last year's remastered Free album releases had no extra tracks because Mr Rodgers spent so long humming and haaing over them that Universal got fed up and put them out without.......

Former member 30842, StarDoG and DTK like this.
  12. Malinky

Malinky Almost a Gentleman.

If you watch the Prince video `Alphabet Street`, the bit where the letters are falling down, and you pause it at a certain point........it reads "DON`T BUY THE BLACK ALBUM!"
    Aware of all bootlegging Prince addressed the fans a request not to buy the album, in a sequence of "Alphabet St.", video. Unfortunately it was done through a very hidden message, in a held up walking cane in a split second of the clip, so many missed it. The message being "Please don't buy The Black Album. I'm sorry.".
    Look like the original video has been taken down :(

Fullbug, Hep Alien and Zongadude like this.
  13. Zongadude

Zongadude Music is the best

Yes ! :)
    There is also, if I remember correctly, a secret message about the black album in the booklet of the CD of the Love Symbol album. It is printed in reverse, so you have to read it in front of a mirror.

14. Terje Morewood

Terje Morewood Forum Resident

15. bleachershane

bleachershane Forum Resident

What song is the They Might Be Giants video for?

16. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

And still no...
    Paul McCartney Goes Too Far.

Jimmy B., Hep Alien and kch27 like this.
  17. Lightworker

Lightworker Forum Resident

The infamous 'Bunny & Bear" 45.
    A 1966 Sonny & Cher parody record
    featuring Kim Fowley and a young
    Gail Sloatman (before she became
    Mrs. Frank Zappa). Suppressed
    and 'memory-holed' since release:

[​IMG]

Beamish13 and McLover like this.
  18. Tom Daniels

Tom Daniels Forum Resident

The "Day Tripper" riff was on Baby Don't Scold me.

The long Bluebird wasn't great. I used to have that double LP. Which is why all that was chopped off for the banjo ending. There is beautiful singing over the banjo part, and it is a very tasteful ending, I seriously doubt Greene and Stone did that, as some sort of edit. It is intentional and it sounds very Stills. The released version of Bluebird is a wonderful thing, beginning to end.

izgoblin and Hep Alien like this.
  19. Tristero

Tristero In possession of the future tense

I agree. The alternate version deserves to be released at this point, but it's no match for the original.

Frittenköter likes this.
  20. RK2249

RK2249 Forum Resident

Well it wasn't forbidden but there was a lot of negativity from the bad about the cover of this album:

21. c-eling

c-eling Dinner's In The Microwave Sweety

The one-off full length from Fatal -Andy Gray/Jan Burton -Periodic Breathing
    [​IMG]

22. Mylene

Mylene Senior Member

ABBA ~ Åh, vilka tider

The Swedish B side to Ring Ring. Benny and Bjorn vetoed it from the Ring Ring deluxe edition. The only ways to get it are on the big blue box (of CDs) or the bigger blue box of vinyl singles.

23. TheLazenby

TheLazenby Forum Resident In Memoriam Thread Starter

Rabid Child. Back in high school, I used the tiny bit of footage they let us see (in "Gigantic") to make a fake 'complete' version of the video.

24. Instant Dharma

Instant Dharma Dude/man

Tragically....

john lennonist likes this.
  25. Instant Dharma

Instant Dharma Dude/man

Release Release the Drones

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.