Remake The Last Jedi

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Rhett, Jun 23, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. will_b_free

will_b_free Forum Resident

Oh jeebus, I can't stop posting in this thread. Going to give myself a break and stop looking for awhile. I'll check back when the claymation or puppets remake happens.

2. davenav

davenav High Plains Grifter

I’m sure this idea of a remake will never see fruition.

But, I support it. TLJ was atrocious, imo. So many lapses in logic, such poor storytelling instincts on Rian Johnson’s part, and what they did with Luke was a massive missed opportunity.

The various YouTube video’s detailing the failings, lapses, and goofy decision-making found in this film are essentially on the money.

If a fan cares about a franchise enough to even think about ways to rectify a mistake, that means they love the franchise, probably more than you do. To label them with invectives like ‘butthurt’ is disgusting, and a lazy way of dismissing the objections without even paying them the courtesy of hearing them.

3. mcre01

mcre01 Forum Resident

Why is it nonsensical to consider the prequels better than TLJ? It's completely subjective and personally I'd prefer to watch any of the prequels than sit through TLJ again. I found it utterly boring and I really just didn't care what happened to any of the characters. The prequels have plenty of faults without doubt but I still prefer them. The fans wanting to remake TLJ are misguided for sure and I really don't get the level of hate. I think it's a poor film and I probably won't bother seeing the next one at all but it's not worth hating. Life is too short - people would be better focusing on what they love.

FVDnz and David Campbell like this.
  4. jimbutsu

jimbutsu WATCH YÖUR STEPPE

Can we redo the movie in Gerry Anderson style marionation(TM)?

Added bonus: Pretty sure that's how they did the "Leia in space" scene, so no need to reshoot that!

5. balzac

balzac Senior Member

Whatever troll on the internet going back however many weeks or months started this "Remake The Last Jedi" thing, they probably got more than they ever could have hoped, which was a single person actually discussing the concept as if it could ever happen.

If "Last Jedi" had truly bombed at the box office, garnered 0% on Rotten Tomatoes, and lost hundreds of millions at the box office, even then Disney/Lucasfilm would not allow some outside group to remake one of their films.

6. BZync

BZync Senior Member

Respectfully, I'm not seeing how this is so. If nothing else, the first film of the current trilogy leaned heavily on the OT. This one HAS to move away. It is in the (Empire Strikes Back) middle position in which it has to tear everything down so that it seems all but hopeless for our heroes. The situation at the end of both Empire & TLJ was pretty dire until an unexpected use of the force saves a vital character at the last second. Also, the sacrifice of a character who is strong with the force to protect another who is still learning about the force was established in A New Hope. In that sense, it is not disregarding the OT but following right along in the template it created.

As to the "changing world" part, I don't see this as something I should be concerned with as it doesn't have a negative impact on the film or the storyline. Neither race nor gender play a part in the actions of the characters - with the possible exception of Rey. But Rey is no different than Leia in terms of strength or being an "action hero". So Rey is clearly in line with a Star Wars tradition of strong women grappling with understanding of the power of the force that they possess.

But even if the above is true, is Star Wars supposed to stay stuck in the 70s? Should it be a relic just to appease white folks who feel somehow threatened? What kind of sense does that make?

I do appreciate you explaining to me why some might not dig TLJ but I find their argument unconvincing.

7. California Couple

California Couple dislike us on facebook

I have not even seen The Last Jedi last and I know the prequels are better than it.

Because it is obvious that it is worst than Force and Rouge. And the prequels were better than Force simply because it does not even count, it was just a remake of the first movie. And the first half of Rouge One was the most BORING Star Wars **** ever, that even its excellent second half cannot save it from beating out a WHOLE prequel film. Even Darth Maul and a Pod Race has to be better than Last Jedi.

There are so many videos about how bad The Last Jedi is that I just have to watch that movie, just to see how bad it really is.

Texastoyz likes this.
  8. eddiel

eddiel Senior Member

Sorry but they are not better at all. I recently-ish watched all three again over a weekend. They aren't very good at all.

9. eddiel

eddiel Senior Member

That's exactly what my brother and I said about the prequels. :) Believe me I didn't like TLJ all that much. But given the choice I'd rather watch that again than any of the prequels.

FVDnz and David Campbell like this.
  10. Pants Party

Pants Party MOSTLY PEACEFUL

The problem with those TLJ hate-videos is that you could do that type of snarky analysis with literally every single movie ever made, and sound convincing. I've always agreed on the Mary Sue/women-are-better-than-men trite that permeates some aspects of the movie...but that dopey cat-poster narrative exists everywhere. You may as well give up on all movies. There's a few other valid points, but the movie was still good excitement.

11. ZippyPippy

ZippyPippy Forum Resident

And how many times did terminator resurface

12. seed_drill

seed_drill Senior Member

So you're saying, instead of doing a remake, just make the next installment a time travel movie that undoes all the objectionable stuff in TLJ?

Rhett likes this.
  13. BZync

BZync Senior Member

I'm guessing that refers to Poe Dameron? I was thrilled when Oscar Issac was cast. I'd seen him in a couple of films and think he is great actor. I am hoping that he gets to play a larger role in the final film as I feel he has been sorely under-used, especially for an actor of his caliber. I did find his "cowboy" antics a bit annoying, but I understand why they made that choice. Firstly, I think they are setting him up to be a real leader (not just a Han Solo clone). Second, I think he was a device in TLJ to contrast the other "solutions" that the film presented. Both were sacrifices. But both were smart - smarter than the villains. And one was a man. So, not sure if the "women are smarter" argument holds water.

It also gels with the whole philosophy of Star wars. The dark side (aggression) is easy and "leads to suffering". I think Poe is about to get a whole lot smarter and a whole lot more effective.

14. MekkaGodzilla

MekkaGodzilla Forum Resident

[​IMG]

;)

Texastoyz and davenav like this.
  15. bferr1

bferr1 Forum Resident

Well, it seems like you already made up your mind, so why bother? :shrug:

FVDnz and BZync like this.
  16. bferr1

bferr1 Forum Resident

Except this is a movie series wherein emotional attachments can cloud one's judgement, leading to the Dark Side. Anakin started out with good intentions, but look where that lead him.

Last edited: Jun 27, 2018
    David Campbell and BZync like this.
  17. Rhett

Rhett Forum Resident Thread Starter

...to an entertaining movie.

bferr1 likes this.
  18. bferr1

bferr1 Forum Resident

Touché.

19. mcre01

mcre01 Forum Resident

Like I said it’s all subjective and there’s no right or wrong opinion. I thought TLJ was so bad it make me think come back Jar Jar all is forgiven. Haha Probably not a popular opinion I know.

20. BZync

BZync Senior Member

LOL!

21. bferr1

bferr1 Forum Resident

@Vidiot, thought you'd like to see this:

[​IMG]

Texastoyz, aficionaudio and Rhett like this.
  22. BZync

BZync Senior Member

Wow! That's some statement. I disagree with nearly everything written above. But, boy, are they correct about the Mary Poppins thing. Funny how two people can watch the same film and see completely different films.

misterbozz likes this.
  23. Rhett

Rhett Forum Resident Thread Starter

Wow - what a write. I can totally understand the position written here.

24. California Couple

California Couple dislike us on facebook

It's been called "A movie about running out of gas".

The Star Wars fans that have talked to me in person, people I know, people who even like oddball stuff like Fridays and Zohan, have all told me not to waste my time or money watching The Last Jedi.

It's that bad.
    So bad even their kids did not like it.

Now that's BAD.

Of course for me to appreciate how bad it is, how right or wrong they are, I should watch it myself. Because I cannot even read the conversations without getting spoilers.

Texastoyz likes this.
  25. Encuentro

Encuentro Forum Resident

They don’t represent the fans. And they are not fans. If you they a problem with strong women in positions of power and diverse casting and see it at as anything other than the new norm here in the real 21st Century world, the problem is with them, not the studio, not the brilliant, powerful Kathy Kennedy.

IronWaffle, FVDnz, Vidiot and 3 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.