Remastered John Fogerty "Centerfield"

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by AKA, Jun 17, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AKA

AKA Senior Member Thread Starter

I was at Best Buy and I saw a remastered HDCD version of John Fogerty's Centerfield on the Dreamworks(!) label. I loved this album as a kid, and was gong to pick it up, but then I remembered most HDCDs don't sound good on a non-HDCD player.

So tell me, forum members. How does this one sound?

And why isn't this on Warner anymore?

2. John Carsell

John Carsell Forum Resident

Most HDCD's I've heard on non-HDCD equipment sound overly bright to these ears.

Doesn't HDCD stand for Hardly Does Crap Dude?

3. Ed Bishop

Ed Bishop Incredibly, I'm still here

The Dreamworks labels suggests Mr. Fogerty has full control of the masters he made while with WB.

I had no idea an HDCD version was being issued. In any event, the old WB CD I remember sounding just fine then, and probably still does. Most music made during the '80s transferred to digital in its time should hold up pretty well, for the most part.

And I'm sure the label copy still reads "Vanz Kant Danz" for that cut; you had to get the early vinyl or cassette for the "Zanz Kant Danz" shot at a certain owner of the Fantasy label from his CCR days. It's been said he got over that bitter period; hope so.

ED:cool:

4. AKA

Yeah, my parents have an original with Zanz.

He certainly kant danz, but he'll steal your money. Watch him or he'll rob ya blind!

This was proven a bit later when Forgerty got sued by Fantasy for plagiarizing... himself!

5. BradOlson

BradOlson Country/Christian Music Maven

There is a "Target" CD with Zanz Kant Danz that does exist.

6. AKA

I've been trying to seek out a "Zanz Kant Danz" copy of Centerfield. I might need to try Ebay. Do they fetch a pretty penny?

7. Pat

Pat Forum Detective

...and if you're willing to go through 4,000 pages on the "Target" Thread, you'll see it in living color!:D

8. BradOlson

BradOlson Country/Christian Music Maven

Yes, Zanz does fetch a ton of money on the collectors market.

9. AKA

Wow, I guess he certainly will rob me blind! :D

10. Ed Bishop

Ed Bishop Incredibly, I'm still here

Good evening, Pat! Long time no see....from my end, anyway.

I have one of those copies, but like a lot of my '80s stuff at the moment, buried in boxes. The vinyl, more readily accessible, is indeed a promo "Zanz." I also remember buying a promo-only 45 version, although I think that was listed as "Vanz"(Tim will have to verify that: I'm not inclined to dig through boxes of 45's from '85 to find it). But it did get enough MTV play to warrant radio exposure, though cooler heads prevailed and it didn't get a stock 45 release, AFAIK.

At the time, it was just great to have J.C. back and playing again.:)

ED:cool:

11. vinylrec

vinylrec Senior Member

Here's the original 1st CD pressing of Centerfield....

12. AKA

I'm gathering most people here haven't heard the remaster, and I'm a bit skeptical of it, so I'm going to try to seek out the Warner.

13. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

Every version I've ever heard of this has a serious treble boost at 10k. Piercing is too kind a word for it. John's idea of hi-fi I guess after years of standing in front of a loud guitar amp. :rolleyes:

14. AKA

So Steve, when can I expect to hear Analogue Productions SACD hybrid versions of Centerfield and Blue Moon Swamp? :D

15. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

I have the HDCD remaster of this CD and I actually don't hear much difference between the undecoded HDCD version and the older CD.

I have a disc dub of "Zanz Kant Danz".

16. PMC7027

PMC7027 Forum Hall Of Fame

The HDCD version of Centerfield has been out for at least a year or more. It sounds fine to me on my HDCD upgraded Theta DSPro Generation III D/A processor. I do not have another version with which to compare it, however.

BTW - There is no need to "make fun of" or "insult" HDCD.

17. -Ben

-Ben Senior Member

Centerfield is a WB title. Not anytime soon I guess.

BC

18. AKA

It's actually owned by Fogerty, apparently. As mentioned above, the remaster is on Dreamworks.

19. -Ben

-Ben Senior Member

I see. So there is hope after all.
    Thanks AKA
    BC

20. reechie

reechie Senior Member

FWIW, Dreamworks remastered Eye Of The Zombie as well. When Fogerty signed to Dreamworks, his WB catalogue went with him (with the exception of Blue Moon Swamp and Premonition. I imagine they'll revert to him at some point in the future as well.)

I'd also heard that Fogerty vetoed any bonus tracks, saying he didn't want people who already had the older versions to have to buy them all over again for the extras.

21. audiomixer

audiomixer As Bald As The Beatles

Sorry...Let's hope not...
    I would rather see more noteworthy albums getting remastered by Steve...
    "Centerfield" is fun...not a classic.:sigh:

22. Larry Geller

Larry Geller Surround sound lunatic

Compared to Mardi Gras, it sure is.:D

23. tim_neely

tim_neely Forum Hall Of Fame

I remember the video, which if anything was an even more pointed dig, complete with dancing pigs during the chorus (if I remember correctly).

Yes, by the time the promo 45 (Warner Bros. PRO-S-2363) and the promo 12-inch single (Warner Bros. PRO-A-2362) came out, the song had been re-recorded and the title changed to "Vanz." It was scheduled to be the next single after the double-sided "Rock and Roll Girls" and "Centerfield," which charted separately after each other.

When I bought the LP new in 1986, it was a "Vanz" copy, and the trail-off of Side 2 had an "RE-1" in it. Months later, I was in a mall record store and casually looking at the stock, and I saw a "Zanz" copy, long after it was supposed to be gone... so I had to pick it up...

CDs with "Zanz" are rather pricey, but the vinyl version isn't.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.