Remixing RAM to fix phasing issues

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Octavian, May 16, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mne563

mne563 Senior Member

Yes.

2. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

I like the production of the stereo RAM. Especially Ram On with the whistling and Dear Boy following. That's a terrific side one.

Crimson Witch likes this.
  3. alexpop

What phasing issues ?
    A particular track/the entire album ?
    Are you referring to the stereo ?
    The mono ? What ?

4. Octavian

Octavian Forum Resident Thread Starter

The stereo. Every track on the album has the same issue, the master stereo tapes were misaligned. It caused the center channel to have an extremely slight phase problem.

The link above shows how a fixed RAM sounds.

rxcory likes this.
  5. alexpop

Youtube link phone playback, sounds same/worse.

6. marcb

marcb Senior Member

No it’s because 1) most re-mixes suck, 2) they weren’t really necessary to begin with and 3) some of us prefer to move forward rather than revisiting the past in the endless search to create order out of disorder.

If anyone has control issues, it’s those who have some compulsion to re-mix everything that doesn’t satisfy THEIR taste. BAFFLING.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2018
    mne563 and alexpop like this.
  7. Shaddam IV

Shaddam IV Forum Resident

I have no compulsion to deny anyone what they want. Do you?

Frank likes this.
  8. walrus

walrus Staring into nothing

Yes. It's not optimal, but you can ignore the compression artifacts and focus on the actual recording just fine.

9. marcb

marcb Senior Member

I’m neither delusional nor self-centered enough to think the rest of world remotely wants what I want just because I want it.

And I spend little time or energy wishing it to be so.

showtaper likes this.
  10. Shaddam IV

Then we're good, we don't disagree on the point I was making, as far as I can see.

Remixes for me, originals for you.

We should team up on the Middle East situation...

PhoffiFozz and walrus like this.
  11. Veech

Veech Space In Sounds

I haven't bothered trying this yet but has anyone oopsed the regular RAM and the "fixed" Ram and compared the results?

I thought the phase issues in Ram were built in to the mix, some signals/tracks were out of phase and other signals/tracks weren't, meaning that one would have to go back to the multis and fix phase issues track-by-track.

12. alexpop

I like the sound of RAM!!!
    Is everybody poco loco???

13. walrus

That is entirely subjective. Some remixes suck, others are an utter revelation, and still others are just a novelty that can easily be ignored and never listened to by those who don't want to hear them.

I do think there's some that...aren't "necessary," but would be incredibly welcome. There are albums like Yes' Going For The One or Sabbath's Born Again that have notoriously crappy mixes for various reasons that even the band has expressed dissatisfaction with.

"Moving forward" is always important, but it's okay to not lose sight of the past as well.

edit: a song from Forever Changes just randomly came on...drums are allllll the way over to the left and the acoustic guitar that drives the song is all the way over on the right. This would definitely be a necessary remix, because this original mix suuuuuucks.

Plan9 and Shaddam IV like this.
  14. marcb

marcb Senior Member

We fundamentally disagree almost entirely.

IMO, only a select few who see themselves as the arbiters of all that is right and wrong cry for re-mixes. Fortunately, few albums get re-mixed because most artists don’t care to revisit the past and most record companies have no interest in throwing good money after bad to remix albums just to satisy a few zealots.

If an artist wants to re-visit the past and someone wants to pay for it and it’s more than a lame result - which is exceedingly rare - I’ll be the first to be okay with it. But given how rare it is, I’m glad the vast majority of the decision makers would rather the energy and resources be put somewhere more creative and productive.

15. Shaddam IV

Remixes for me, originals for you :)

I guess if you'd answered the question I posed ("Do you"? ... asked in regard to remixing) I'd be able to say more. But you haven't really, not exactly. So as far as I can see, we agree on the question.

16. marcb

marcb Senior Member

Me too. I was wondering about of this apparent nonsense about fixing it.

To be honest, I never cared much for the album until I got the mono mix. Maybe the phasing issues - be it in the mix or the master tape - contributed to that.

17. Mr_Vinyl

Mr_Vinyl Forum Resident

The ''murk'' and reverb is what made this album what it is. Sure, it may sound ''better'' if it was reduced, but it was there for a reason, and it became the sound of that particular album - for better or for worse. I would leave things as they are.

mne563 and jacden like this.
  18. marcb

marcb Senior Member

What relevance is your question to anything? Why would I bother trying to deny a few old men yelling at fast trains to slow down their freedom to yell at fast trains to slow down?

Nobody that matters cares what they think.

19. Bemagnus

Bemagnus Music is fun

Ram is one of my alltime favourite albums since day of release. Love the remastered version and the mono-version. Since Id never had any problems with the sound or phrasing or whatever Id guess I would not like a remix. It s my beloved Ram would not like to change anything at all. It s perfect as it is.

realkilroy, steve722 and Mr_Vinyl like this.
  20. Shaddam IV

If you really want to get to the bottom of this (no one else cares at this point!) I'll be as clear as I can (I wasn't very clear before):

*Remixing should never be done*

Agree or disagree?

If your answer is "Agree", then you're correct, we do have a fundamental disagreement.

If your answer is "Disagree", then we're on the same page with regard to the point I was making.

21. walrus

I like (most of) the music, but it's not a great sounding recording or mix by any means. (I also think it'd be great in surround sound)

Plan9 and Shaddam IV like this.
  22. alexpop

It's not a sonic wonder like Bridge Over Troubled Water or Abbey Road production wise. But ..I always thought Ram's production complemented the music.

realkilroy, Shaddam IV and Bemagnus like this.
  23. Bemagnus

Bemagnus Music is fun

It sure does:)

24. walrus

I'm not into replacing it. But I'd be 100% all in for someone good having a stab at it, and having that option available. I think stuff like "Back Seat Of My Car" deserves better than that murkiness.

Shaddam IV likes this.
  25. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

I thought this was a computer question and was going to ask how the hell do you "remix RAM?" Silly me.

marcb likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.