Restored Pink Floyd at Pompeii and new Adrian Maben Floyd documentary at Montreal Film Festival

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by bodhisattva, Oct 4, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Pinknik

Pinknik Senior Member

Sounds like it. The band winds down to a full stop at the end of part 1. Why do that if it's one performance?

Big Pasi likes this.
  2. Hymie the Robot

Hymie the Robot Forum Resident

Thanks. That would be great.

3. Further

Further Forum Resident

Uhhhh, yes it was. You might want to do some research on the film.

JulesRules and hi_watt like this.
  4. dkmonroe

dkmonroe A completely self-taught idiot

I don't see the "winding down" part as being necessarily a "full stop." The studio recording has the funky jam part fade out before the whales start calling, and you can't do that live, so at some point Roger would have to bring thing to a stop and then pick up a bottle so he can start that woo-woo thing on the bass.

This isn't to say that I'm denying that the film performance was two pieces - I trust those who insist it is - but it wouldn't have sounded much different if it was one take.

5. Pinknik

Pinknik Senior Member

I wasn't there, of course, it just sounds abrupt to me, unlike the BBC performance, for instance. Based on some youtube clips I could find, from 1971-5, they would slowly take instruments out of the jam until it was just guitar and slowly start to bring up the droning sound. Kind of a live cross-fade.

6. Lownote30

Lownote30 Bass Clef Addict

Well, I guess we'll find out when the box set with the two pieces hooked together comes out. If it sounds natural with no edit, then it was played as one piece.

Pinknik likes this.
  7. Lownote30

Lownote30 Bass Clef Addict

I've researched as much as anyone can regarding the film, and I've never seen anything that says Echoes was played in two pieces. If it was, that would be the only time they it played live that way.

8. Big Pasi

Big Pasi Forum Resident

Doesn't it have a clear edit point when they start the "blues"-section?

9. carlfritz

carlfritz New Member

Please contact me, I am very much intrigued by your work and this story and would like to discuss this a bit further. I have a lot of questions on this and hopefully hear from you.

I am excited to talk Live at Pompeii!

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 3, 2017
  10. polchik

polchik Forum Resident

curious, do you know if there are any plans to release 'live at pompeii' on blu-ray …. and perhaps do a new mix from the original multitracks, or release the quad mix?. as well, have the film presented in its original aspect ratio ? i hate to say i was not a fan of the director's cut dvd as i was so used to the VHS release. perhaps the director's cut and the earlier version could both be released, as well as this new documentary. a major issue with the NTSC dvd is that it had PAL speedup. not exactly chipmonk floyd but very noticeable to me 3 to 4% increase in rhythm and pitch. this would not be an issue releasing the film on blu-ray.

anyway thanks for sharing your wonderful story !

11. 007james

007james Forum Resident

Isn't the vhs version on the directors cut dvd as an extra feature?

12. Hymie the Robot

The problem with the DVD is the audio is dulby digital, 2.0.

13. misteranderson

misteranderson Forum Resident

Is it in Dubly?

hi_watt likes this.
  14. Hymie the Robot

I still own the DVD but haven't played it since I found a quadraphonic film transfer which is a billion times better. Yes, the DVD is DD stereo only but it does have an option to play the version without the crappy added space footage. Not sure about the aspect ratio of the video...

15. mBen989

mBen989 Senior Member

The original cut of the movie (that is, no footage from Abbey Road) is 4x3 on the director's cut DVD.

It's been ages since I've seen it so I couldn't say if it had the PAL speedup issue as the director's cut.

Hymie the Robot likes this.
  16. mBen989

mBen989 Senior Member

Just dug out my copy of the DVD and...it does.

17. Dude111

Dude111 An Awesome Dude

I have this concert on VHS and I love it..... One of thier BEST!!

18. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

I saw the film in the theater on original release - I think I recall the Abbey Road bits in there. That original showing must be considered the original cut of the film. No?

19. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

I have the laser disc (Pink cover) with the full frame picture and I guess the PAL to NTSC speed issue.

Is this the best picture of the correct edit and correct aspect ratio released thus far?

20. Dude111

Dude111 An Awesome Dude

Wow they didnt convert it right buddy?? (Your NTSC is sped up a little?)

Im sorry to hear that..... I have a PAL/NTSC VHS copy of SONG OF THE SOUTH (1946) and thankfully its a direct copy from the PAL tape... NO SPEED UP...

21. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

I've read that it is, not noticed it myself. You mean this is news to you? It's been talked about for a decade or more now.

But it's the best looking transfer of the movie out there iirc.

22. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

I got the Japanese laser of South Song!

Dude111 likes this.
  23. mBen989

mBen989 Senior Member

That footage was added later to keep it up to date.

24. BEAThoven

BEAThoven Forum Resident

In addition -- if I am remembering this correctly -- during part I, isn't Nick filmed with no sunglasses at the beginning, but then by some shots at the end, he is wearing sunglasses? Unless he had an "eyewear tech" at the time (;)), I'm guessing that there were a few edits from a few different filming takes... The audio could be an unedited take, though.

25. Rmono

Rmono Forum Resident

Hopefully it will be at least as good as the VHS version, because that edited DVD was terrible. Without the "I'll have chips, toast, beans and a tea" and "You can trust us" -type parts, the movie is not quite as good. "Live At Pompeii" is the best of its kind, and it needs to be preserved properly. That said, I am all for more of the oysters footage.

Instant Dharma likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.