REVIEW: Wharfedale Denton 80th Anniversary speakers

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by The Seeker, Oct 18, 2015.

1. signothetimes53

signothetimes53 Senior Member

Great analysis, thank you!

I don't have LS50 speakers, but I do have KEF XQ20 speakers, and they can be very fatiguing/hard/metallic to listen to for very long with some types of recordings. My Wharfedale Dentons, OTOH, aren't as 'revealing', but they have a warm, pleasing, non-fatiguing musicality that works well with a wide variety of recordings, and help to soften that harshness/brightness of some of them that don't fare well with the XQ20s....

Robert C and maglorine like this.
  2. Art K

Art K Retired but not tired!

I have the LS50's and had the Denton's. I found the unrefined high end of the Denton's tiring. They sounded better after break in but in the end I couldn't live with their shortcomings. They are pretty with their covers on.

3. bluemooze

bluemooze Senior Member

Great descriptions. :edthumbs:

2point1 and EricCuda like this.
  4. wim1983

wim1983 Well-Known Member

Did you already got the best speakers that satisfy you? Or still the KEF LS50 remains to be best suit?

5. Robert C

Robert C Forum Resident

I was starting to think that about my LS50, hence my search for a smoother speaker.

6. Art K

Art K Retired but not tired!

Still have the LS50's.

7. Helom

Helom Forum member

Have you tried listening to them off-axis, with tweeters below ear height?

8. maglorine

maglorine Forum Resident

So, for the Denton's what's a good price used? I see them on Music Direct for $499 although I've seen reports they are occasionally $399 new on special. I may get them while keeping the Q100's for comparison and deciding which I like better over time. They're both small so keeping both is also an option.

9. wim1983

I see, if got chance I need to get a pair to listen to, to feel the transparency and excellent sound stage people praise for.

10. ChrisR2060

ChrisR2060 Stereo addict

Has anyone compared the wharfedale 225 to the dentons?

bhazen likes this.
  11. wim1983

There is no comparison, because the dome tweeters used is almost the same across diamond series, I've owned Diamond 200 series before the treble is not as refined as Denton, all the Diamond series include 9.1 behave the same way...kinda disturbing what they want to do? Why cannot put the most refined tweeters and modify based on that, they seem work out a lot so called technology and ways to make sound differently but it's not working...

12. action pact

action pact Music Omnivore

It's rare to find them used, but $325-$350 is typical.

Music Direct does from time to time drop them to $399, usually around the holidays. They also have open-box Dentons for the same price fairly regularly.

13. JackG

JackG Forum Resident

I don't have Dentons, but my LS50s did everything better (except bass) than my Diamond 225s. The 225s aren't that far behind, though, and I find them much easier to listen to for long periods without fatigue. LS50 went back, and the 225 are here for the foreseeable future.

SteveKr and bluemooze like this.
  14. Floyd47

Floyd47 Forum Resident

I picked up my Denton’s last year from Music Direct. It was an open box pair for $399. They looked brand new

SteveKr likes this.
  15. SteveKr

SteveKr Forum Resident

Here's a video of me refurbishing a pair of original Wharfedale Dentons

BuckNasty, action pact and rxonmymind like this.
  16. coopmv

coopmv Newton 1/30/2001 - 8/31/2011

Original Wharfedale Dentons, those manufactured in Scotland?

17. rxonmymind

rxonmymind Forum Resident

Bravo! I love to find a pair here in America and do a comparison. Unfortunately even if I did I wouldn't have the skills or the tools to put new crossovers and caps on.
    That was really cool.
    Thanks

SteveKr likes this.
  18. SteveKr

SteveKr Forum Resident

When I first got these speakers I sent some photos to Wharfedale asking if they had any information about their age and specs. They replied saying that there had been a fire some time
    ago and all of Wharfedales archives had been destroyed so unfortunately they couldn't give me any information. What a shame )-: That's probably why it's hard to find much information about them on the net.

There are lots of vintage Wharfedale speakers available for little money in the UK and with a little TLC they can brought up to spec quite easily. I only spent a little less than £100 including the parts (Falcon Acoustics UK) and speakers. I downloaded the BBC's white paper (Factors in the design of loudspeaker cabinets - BBC R&D ) on cabinet design and used the information to improve the internal cabinet damping. I really enjoyed fixing these up and it only took me a morning to do. What I was really shocked by was the great sound quality. I doubt I could find a better sounding new speaker for £100 as solidly built and with real wood veneer. I also feel like I've preserved a little piece of British audio history.

action pact and rxonmymind like this.
  19. SteveKr

SteveKr Forum Resident

No they were made in Idle, Bradford in Yorkshire but as a Lancastrian I won't hold that against them (-:

Jack Flannery likes this.
  20. coopmv

I have always regretted not having bought any speakers made in the UK before many of them were taken over by Chinese companies ...

SteveKr likes this.
  21. coopmv

:edthumbs:

22. coopmv

:righton:. Newer is not always better IMO ...

rxonmymind and SteveKr like this.
  23. coopmv

I wonder if KEF and Tannoy, etc. have yet to archive their legacy product designs, product lines etc in digital format to prevent such accidents from recurring. There is no excuse for such unrecoverable losses since universal digitization has been around for some times ... :shake:

SteveKr likes this.
  24. coopmv

[​IMG]

Are the Tannoy Arden's still made in Scotland?

[​IMG]

How about the Stirling Gold's?

SteveKr likes this.
  25. SteveKr

SteveKr Forum Resident