Revolver vs. Sgt. Pepper

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by The Hole Got Fixed, May 29, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. socorro

socorro Forum Resident

Revolver. I love me some Pepper, but it still wasn't a hard decision. Their finest work.

Must be UK version, And Your Bird Can Sing is too good to omit for any reason.

2. nikh33

nikh33 Senior Member

Syrupy? If you think Eleanor Rigby, For No One and Got to Get You into My Life are syrupy, then either you've never heard them or you have an unnaturally high standard for syrup.

3. B_big!

B_big! Vinyl Record Enthusiast

( ( ( ( ( ((((((( .[​IMG]

I always was (and I still am) an absolute lover of their master piece 'Sgt. Peppers Lonely Hearts Club Band'!! "It's wonderful to be here, it's certainly a thrill . . ." / "Found my way upstairs and had a smoke, somebody spoke and I went into a dream . . . "
    . [​IMG]

Don't get me wrong, Revolver is a good work, but can't be described as milestone!

4. 389 Tripower

389 Tripower Just a little south of Moline

I "Rate" Pepper higher, because it was such a strong cultural influence.
    It was a perfect icon of psychedelia, and it's release was so historic at the time.
    Revolver is great for what it is, but it was only a hint of what was to come.

5. Galeans

Galeans Forum Resident

First interesting Beatles thread I've seen in a while. I love both, but I chose "Revolver" as I like it more overall and I think it was more groundbreaking. Not that "Sgt. Pepper" wasn't!

Vinyl_Blues likes this.
  6. PacificOceanBlue

PacificOceanBlue Senior Member

I think Revolver has been injected with a contemporary, modern-era appreciation over the past decade or so. Obviously it was always highly regarded, but it seems that its stature was given a new life by a new wave of music historians and journalists, which trickled down to factions of the public. It seemed for decades that Sgt. Pepper was automatically considered The Beatles' defining artistic statement, but either due to overkill (and overplay) and a new generation of analysis, Sgt. Pepper no longer retains its position as the obvious number one Beatles title. Perhaps my view on this is way off, but that is how I have seen it play out to some degree.

7. Quasimodo

Quasimodo Senior Member

Not even close. Revolver is a top 3 Beatles album, Pepper is in the Bottom 3.

8. Ephi82

Ephi82 Still have two ears working

First, I measure using the UK version of Revolver.

Second, the sonics in Revolver are a pretty big leap over Rubber Soul, while some of Pepper suffers from two many 4 track transfers. It sounds congested at times.

Third, the band absolutely ROCKS on many Revolver songs, as well as the singles they cut at the time. They rocked hard and came up with some incredible new ways to do so. Tomorrow Never Knows and She Said She Said are two great examples.

Last, Pepper has some amazingly creative songs and studio performances, but it sounds dated to me. I still love it, but put those two records in front of me and I'll put Revolver on first, every time.

Vinyl_Blues likes this.
  9. teag

teag Forum Resident

You may have a point, they are not really all that syruppy. Rigby and For No One are downers, if not depressing. Got to Get You Into my Life is obnoxious.

10. vudicus

vudicus Forum Resident

I love all of Pepper. Easily in my top 3 Beatles albums along with Abbey Road and The White Album.

Revolver has some killer stuff on it (She Said, She Said, Tomorrow Never Knows, Taxman for example) but some of the tracks on there don't really do it for me.

Holy Diver likes this.
  11. Zack

Zack Senior Member

Cheating!

On topic; Still Revolver though the presence of Yellow Sub on it irks me.

12. The Hole Got Fixed

The Hole Got Fixed Owens, Poell, Saberi Thread Starter

It was easy for me. I consider Pepper to be near the bottom of their canon. Thanks for the posts.

13. tgdinamo

tgdinamo Forum Resident

Revolver is my favorite Beatles but still not close to top of my list. Here are some I like better:

1. Folk Singer - Muddy Waters
    2. Blonde on Blonde - Dylan
    3. Dire Straits - first album
    4. Neil Young - at least 3 albums - Everybody Knows This is Nowhere, Rust Never Sleeps, Harvest (maybe also Zuma)
    5. Are You Experienced - Hendrix
    6. Zeppelin - Houses of Holy, IV
    7. Remain In Light - Talking Heads
    8. Beggars Banquet, Sticky Fingers, Let It Bleed - Stones
    9. Creedence Clearwater Revival - first 4 albums
    10. Doors - first 6 albums
    etc
    I guess Beatles are not my favorite band after all :hide:

14. The Hole Got Fixed

The Hole Got Fixed Owens, Poell, Saberi Thread Starter

Yes it's absolutely stunning.

jammincrowe likes this.
  15. Brother Maynard

Brother Maynard Forum Resident

I wonder if the results as they currently stand would've been vastly different with the same voters in, say, 1987.

16. spintheblack72

spintheblack72 Forum Resident

While I'm no Beatles disciple by a mile I like their music and hope to own a analogue Blue box set one of these days Revolver has always been my favourite Beatles album.

Sgt Pepper has it's place, as it's impact was enormous but as for consistency it's predecessor wins easily , yes Pepper has Day In A Life one of the greatest songs ever written but Revolver has nothing as throw away as When I'm 64 or Lovely Rita and pretty much every track is spot on.

17. cwitt1980

cwitt1980 Senior Member

Today, Pepper. Tomorrow, Revolver. Can we start a new poll tomorrow? Also, which is is more 'rock' without the 'roll.' I swear I hear some roll in both, but I can't be too certain.

petem1966 likes this.
  18. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Senior Member

I would pick those three as my top, as well.

19. Digu

Digu Forum Resident

This.
    It's very close for me but the UK version puts Revolver on top for me.

20. dudley07726

dudley07726 Forum Resident

Get rid of Yellow Sub and substitute Paperback or Rain and you truly have a phenomenal album. Yel Sub is filler to me though not as bad as What Goes On

quakerparrot67 likes this.
  21. Revolver for me.
    Pepper has a couple of songs that I don't like at all... Revolver none...

22. Rock66

Rock66 Forum Resident

I believe that a key difference between Pepper and Revolver is the type of album that was produced. I agree completely that Revolver is a rocking album. Pepper was advanced musically for its time, but I don't think of it as a Rock but a well produced Pop album. "A Day in The Life", a landmark track has no comparison on Revolver, but most of the other Pepper tracks are more trippy. The covers tell the story. Both are interesting, but Revolver has a basic black and white cover; Pepper has a radical color cover that has been imitated or criticized by several groups (Zappa, the Rolling Stones). What I'm trying to say is Revolver is more of a musical production, Pepper is a cultural landmark. I rate Revolver more highly musically, and Pepper I rate higher culturally. I wouldn't want to get rid of either one.

petem1966 likes this.
  23. petem1966

petem1966 Forum Resident

Not to single your post out Ephi, but the "UK version of Revolver" IS Revolver. I know a lot of people on here (like me) grew up with the American versions, but in my mind, since the catalog was 'normalized', the American versions don't count anymore. If somebody mentions Revolver or Help or whatever, I take it to mean the proper album, not the American butchered version (see what I did there? :) )

GetRhythm and She is anyway like this.
  24. andy75

andy75 Forum Resident

Revolver. IMO the better record. Like so many others here I adore both of them!

25. carrolls

carrolls Forum Resident

Revolver. Lennon's last great Beatles album.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.