Rex Smith portrayed Daredevil in a 1989 live action Marvel tv film

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by melstapler, May 27, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. melstapler

melstapler Reissue Activist Thread Starter

[​IMG] [​IMG]
    In 1989, actor-singer-songwriter Rex Smith portrayed Daredevil/Matt Murdock in a made-for-tv film entitled "The Trial Of The Incredible Hulk." Bill Bixby starred as the Incredible Hulk/Dr. David Banner in the tv series which ran from 1978-1982. As a sequel to the original show, Bixby and Lou Ferrigno reprised their roles in a series of enjoyable made-for-tv movies. This particular film was made in Canada and featured The Kingpin as the main villain.
    [​IMG]
    This movie was the first live-action Marvel film or television project to feature a cameo appearance from famed creator Stan Lee. Apparently, Marvel had planned to release a tv series based on Rex Smith's version of Daredevil and this film was intended to serve as its launchpad. Sadly, the Daredevil series never materialized.
    [​IMG]

Some fans were critical of the basic black outfit Daredevil wore in 1989, which actually predated Frank Miller and John Romita Jr.'s Daredevil: The Man Without Fear comic book, which was published in 1993.

Thwacko likes this.
  2. MikeInFla

MikeInFla Glad to be out of Florida

They did the same thing a couple of years earlier with the first movie. The intent there was to spin off Thor. Being a fan of the original show (I was a kid then and I didn't know anyone who disliked it at the time) I was excited when these came out. The first I was still in high school. I enjoyed them then but they haven't held up well.

melstapler likes this.
  3. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

He looks like some kind of ninja.

melstapler likes this.
  4. Thwacko

Thwacko Forum Resident

I loved the three tv movies when they came out as a kid. I recently tried to rewatch the Thor one and unfortunately it was unbearable.

MikeInFla and melstapler like this.
  5. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

So you're saying the movie is a real Thor spot for you?

Last edited: May 27, 2017
    melstapler and Thwacko like this.
  6. Thwacko

Thwacko Forum Resident

LOL

I remember getting so excited for each one. They would announce them in the Bullpen Bulletins in Marvel comics. I loved each one. I remember talking to a friend the day after "Death of..." aired about how sad it was. Funny how those movies seemed so big and epic as a kid.

melstapler likes this.
  7. S. P. Honeybunch

S. P. Honeybunch Presidente de Kokomo, Endless Mikelovemoney

I adore Charles Napier's performance of the guy with the Cajun accent in the first TV movie.

8. melstapler

Actor Eric Allan Kramer played Thor in the 1988 tv film "The Incredible Hulk Returns."
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    Today, actor Eric Allan Kramer is recognizable for his many big and small roles in film and television.
    [​IMG]

Thwacko likes this.
  9. MikeInFla

MikeInFla Glad to be out of Florida

One thing I missed in the TV movies was the sound efx when David turns into the Hulk. Could they not get the rights for the sound efx? It was nice to see Jack Colvin in the first movie as well but he was never seen again.

S. P. Honeybunch and melstapler like this.
  10. Thwacko

Thwacko Forum Resident

melstapler likes this.
  11. melstapler

Definitely. Although Colvin was alive when the other tv films were made, I believe he had left the acting side to work as a professor. It's a shame they didn't include those original sound efx during Hulk's transformation. In some ways, I think the tv series has aged a little better than the tv movies.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.