Rhino - Back To The 80's Vinyl - July 2018

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Ron Mexico, May 17, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Paul Beatty

Paul Beatty Forum Resident

Any mastering info on the Rod Stewart pink vinyl?

2. hi_watt

hi_watt The Road Warrior

No mastering info on Stewart unfortunately (it does have the original release mastering info, which is done by Mike Fuller). The album sounds okay. Tonight's The Night was the sonic test song for me, as compared to the Hoffman mastered one on the Legends SACD, the Back to the '80s version didn't sound that great.

Deadwax info:

Side one:
    MPO 1825107 (machine stamped)
    R1 3373 A

Side two:
    MPO 1825212
    R1 3373 B

3. Ben Adams

Ben Adams Forum Resident

Mine arrived from Bull Moose on Monday, and I just checked out Easy Action today. It plays Killer. :realmad::realmad::realmad:

I have an email in to Dr. Rhino to find out how to get a correct copy.

At least my copy of Killer plays correctly - and it's gorgeous.

4. Dan

Dan Senior Member

I see some sort of signature or squiggle to indicate a signature but I can't make it out. I thought "Hot Legs" sounded great.

hi_watt likes this.
  5. Ben Adams

Ben Adams Forum Resident

Squiggle could be Ian Sefchick.

6. ad180

ad180 Forum Resident

I picked up the Richard Hell album today. It's a Sterling / RKS cut (Ryan Smith). I haven't listened yet, but wanted to report on the mastering here.

jimhb likes this.
  7. Massproductions

Massproductions Forum Resident

Is the artwork for "like a virgin" upside down on your "back to the 80's" white vinyl? I special ordered it from my local bullmoose, and when the girl called to say it was in, she said the artwork was upside down on the back?? That's interesting about the "Who's That Girl" Soundtrack. The original CD release is an ear bleeder alright! The HD Tracks download sounds more balanced. Perhaps they used the same 96khz, 24 bit files to cut the vinyl?

8. ascot

ascot Senior Member

The back cover of Like A Virgin should be upside down. The originals were like that, too.

I never heard the hi-rez version of Who's That Girl, sorry.

9. How come a couple of these 80 releases are from the 70s ? Like Richard Hell ?

10. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

Thats ridiculous. I asked the guy that I bought Killer from if this is definitely the corrected version. He stated definitely it is. I can only hope so.

Not a fan of Easy Action, so no worries there.

Still thats ridiculous you guys are having to go through so much BS.

Ben Adams likes this.
  11. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

What are the songs on the Punk lp?

12. tinnox

tinnox Senior Member

superstar19 and 500Homeruns like this.
  13. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

14. Michael Rose

Michael Rose Forum Resident

I've got B-52's - Wild Planet from MoFi. Anyone (or any site) A/B these records?

patient_ot likes this.
  15. hi_watt

hi_watt The Road Warrior

Hmmm...my copy doesn't have the squiggle. Apart from that, does your copy have similar deadwax info to mine?

16. Okay, so I picked up the above mentioned release and it's a pleasure to hold and to play. Really don't give a hoot about coloured vinyl but the yellow vinyl kind of embraces the album's spirit. I love the fact they even reproduced the original labels and included the "Play Loud" on both sides. The album is dead flat and dead quiet. So what's not to like? To be honest I find myself pining for the new mofi again. Unfortunately I don't have the 2 copies I listened to so I can't do a shoot out but my memory says the mofi had more instrument separation less grain and a smoother top end. I think this one sounds as good as a domestic copy. I wonder what I'm hearing here between the 2, a different source used, different mastering moves, etc
    The Back to the 80s reissue has the Chris Bellman initials scribed in the deadwax whereas the mofi has a much lesser known engineer noted.

Last edited: Jul 26, 2018
    candyflip69 and hi_watt like this.
  17. Ben Adams

Ben Adams Forum Resident

Bull Moose are being super cool and sending me another copy. They said only one other customer had brought this to their attention, so they believe most of theirs were OK.

mpayan and Haggis Wampovich like this.
  18. ODShowtime

ODShowtime jaded faded

If I recall, you were fully cognizant of what was going on with the mispressings and patiently waiting for correct lps to be released. I am correct in that? And then you finally get a correct version shipped to you and it's the wrong version? Man. That sucks.

That reminds me of the Stones in Mono box. I buy it from Target, late in the game, scared about the Stray Cats/Beggar's Banquet issue, and low and behold I have the wrong LP. ABKCO won't send me a new one so I return it for cash. Later I decide to try from Amazon, terrified about the wrong lp issue, and AGAIN I got the wrong LP!! I was so salty when that happened.

19. Ben Adams

Ben Adams Forum Resident

Exactly! How the hell could it happen? Original matrix is scratched out in the deadwax, even.

Just ... ugh. :(

20. ODShowtime

ODShowtime jaded faded

Hold on, are you saying that it looks like there was a second mispressing? Wow. That's Sly and the Family Stone Greatest Hits SACD level of screw up.

21. Ben Adams

Ben Adams Forum Resident

That's exactly how it looks. Of course, I've never seen the deadwax on the original mispressing, so for all I know, this is the same and some of them accidentally got distributed.

ODShowtime likes this.
  22. Dan

Dan Senior Member

I have a mint Sterling-mastered copy of the original. I'm going to crank them up again tomorrow, but I thought there was just a tad more separation in the original. It was real close though.

Echoes Myron and Michael Rose like this.
  23. Dan

Dan Senior Member

Forget that. It's "MPO" with a mark either around it or through it.

hi_watt likes this.
  24. mikedifr0923

mikedifr0923 Forum Resident

I bought A-Ha and am definitely happy with the sound, but I dont have anything to compare it to other than the stream from Tidal.

Did anyone get Spandau Ballet? This reissue program was a bit up my alley at the moment as I have been exploring 80s music that I missed either because I was too young when it was big or was busy trying to be too cool and listen to nothing but hard rock and metal (have gone through A-ha, Crowded House and Simple Minds so far)

I was hoping for a special Kajagoogoo reissue :D

25. Grohlfan

Grohlfan Dan

Alice Cooper-DaDa, Flush The Fashion
    B’52’s - self titled, Wild Planet
    If no originals to be had, you can do no wrong here. Very pleased with these purchases.

Eigenvector, jimhb, Ben Adams and 3 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.